PDA

View Full Version : Does your EP eat tires?

satanicboner666
03-08-2011, 01:00 AM
It's time for new tires again for the ep3 after only 8,000 miles. It seems like this car just loves to eat up tires. Anyone here run any tires that get them almost to the manufacture's estimated lifespan? I'm not looking for a performance tire, just a budget one that will last as long as possible. I have the SI blade wheels from the 99-00 civic so I want to run 195/60/R15's since they seem to be the cheapest. I was running 205/55/R15's for the last 2 sets but they're not even getting to 15k miles, some manufacturers claim their tires will last to 100k miles.... WTF?! Not looking for performance, my EP is beat and dented, just trying to make it last as long as possible! Thanks.

PatrickJamesYu
03-08-2011, 01:07 AM
get a proper alignment
are your wheels bent?
Maybe not enough to see, but just enough to destroy tires
What tires are you getting?
How do you drive? Aggressively?

charles
03-08-2011, 01:15 AM
my ep3 eats nothing but gas. Probably should get an alignment

MBaG
03-08-2011, 01:16 AM
my ep3 eats nothing but gas. Probably should get an alignment

My ep3 likes to eat gas + oil.

whatsvtec
03-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Gas only, and the occasional animal

hondero69
03-08-2011, 05:23 AM
Do you have suspension? If so,get a front and rear camber kit

ImportCustomx
03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I am eating this thread and moving it to suspension ..where it should have been posted originally

:)

talonXracer
03-08-2011, 09:15 AM
I go thru 2 sets of tires during the summer and get two winters out of a set of studded snows. I have a Quaiffe LSD so that is both front tires needing to be replaced, and yes I do have to rotate them between replacements. I also do not purchase soft tires any longer as I can tear up a set in a single afternoon of spirited backroad blitzing.

Behemoth
03-08-2011, 09:26 AM
14k mi. and my tires are fine.

omgheyitskenny
03-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Hmm

Advan RG II 17x7.5
Nitto Neo Gen 225/45R17

Weekend Nasa HPDE2 whore

20k ish miles

-1.x Camber in rear
-0.x Camber in front.
Toe is nearly zero

Even saying I get 20k about is a overstatement base on how I drive at the track xD

But saying 8k miles off a set of tires..... You need to get an alignment!

My car is on Ksport Kontrol Pro its about 25 1/2 inches off the ground from bottom tire to bottom fender measuring

My other set
XXR 002 16x6(think)
205/40/R16 Kumo Ecs about 35k lifespan that is with a few horrible laps too I said horrible because these tires suck
Same coilovers I measure 24 inches from bottom tire to bottom fender

I only tell you the inches from tire to fender to give you an idea on how low I am.

powdbyrice
03-08-2011, 10:45 PM
what tires do you have on there currently?

i got 60k miles out of some gforce sports.

satanicboner666
03-13-2011, 06:54 PM
The car is properly aligned. I have a lifetime alignment so I get it aligned regularly. I don't drive aggressively, I've never launched the car once because if I broke something I couldn't afford to fix it lol. The car is also is on the stock suspension. Maybe I'll get those G-Force tires, thats a ton of miles!

sLiCk
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
How is the tire worn? The way the tire wears will tell you alot about what's happening with the car. But to answer the original question, the EP is hardly a tire eater.
If a set can't last 8k miles, something is wrong.

omgheyitskenny
03-13-2011, 07:44 PM
The car is properly aligned. I have a lifetime alignment so I get it aligned regularly. I don't drive aggressively, I've never launched the car once because if I broke something I couldn't afford to fix it lol. The car is also is on the stock suspension. Maybe I'll get those G-Force tires, thats a ton of miles!

Hold on did I read this correctly? Stock suspension and you don't drive aggresive? Post your alignment sheet specs please. I am interested in what your toe is

I used to live in La Jolla and I'm well aware of the crappy road conditions in SD even with that you should pull 35k miles on tires with stock suspension.

pierceQ
03-27-2011, 11:33 PM
All this actually to say one thing, brand new tires need to be hot and cold weather tested for a long time, have all the bugs eliminated before it's put into action on our roads needs chains to get you through winter? The tire shop has them,.I found this here: Keeping a low profile: basics of low-profile tires (http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/the-expert-explains/keeping-a-low-profile-tires/) Making the choice between low-profile and regular tires might seem minor.

AKEP
03-28-2011, 05:03 AM
i pulled 77k on my factory tires. lowered on s-techs for 50 of those, and 30 of those were probably with a camber kit.

stop buying cheap-o tires, look at the UTQG rating and look for something in the 700+ if you want it to last.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+LX+Platinum&partnum=055WR6ELX&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
woud be the cheapest tire that has a 600 UTQG and a W rating incase you drive 120+(up to 149) (ep is capable of its max speed in stock form, it just takes a while)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=eco+Solus+HM+KR22&partnum=055TR6KR22&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
if you drive like a grandma, these have an 800 rating but are rated/limited for speeds up to 118 mph.

also, you might have a shitty tech doing your aligments, i can never find a tech that does alignments better than me. try another branch and see if the other techs are better. you shouldn't have to get an alignment but every so often.

dirtyMETHOD
03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Your EP sounds like the project nympho burning rubber left and right.

Can you post your last alignment specs?

27rocks
03-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I know from previous experiance that you can't always assume that just because you got an alignment everything is OK. Those machines can go out of spec very easily and they need to be recalibrated every so often. I had this happen to me at school a few years ago. I threw my car to align and when everything seemed to be to spec on the screen it was very obvious that everything was out of spec when looking at the car. The other thing I would check which plays a big part of a tires life is the air pressure. To low and you get really bad wear on the inside and outside edges of the tires. To high and only the center of the tire wears down.
Best thing to do is check your tire pressure and go take it somewhere else to get it aligned. Most places will throw it on the rack to just check it for free.

04SiSpeed
08-31-2011, 10:21 AM
My ep3 likes to eat gas + oil.

How many miles do you have? If its over 100k id say that should be expected. First i started getting crap gas mileage over like 100kish and then it started burning the crap out of oil. So i stopped putting oil in it and it blew up, now i have a k20a and wish i did that in 04 when i bought the car new lol.

You prolly need to have a overhaul of your fuel and valvetrain. If the oil seats go bad which they do, you will start to burn a hella lot of oil esp. in vtech. If you get your injectors cleaned it may allow for some better gas mileage. Also if you have bolt on mods without any kind of tune that will make your gas mileage way down because typically the car runs really rich compared to how it does stock, since u opened all that stuff up like the exhuast or intake diameter. Good luck

NEO_FOLLOWER2
09-05-2011, 09:14 PM
im at 114K and i do get bad gas mileage it seems like...but i dont burn any oil...and drive spirited quite often.

im thinking i need new spark plugs

doubledouble
09-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I got an alignment ~ 2 months ago. I haven't drove my car in two weeks; got back into it and it's pulling to the right. wth. I don't think I have a camber kit unless it was already pre-installed by the previous owner.

My questions are:

Is it normal to be out of alignment this fast?

Also I need new tires very soon. I'm on 17's buddyclubs. Lowered on DC5 spec Eibach prokits. Anyone have any recommendations on tires and if I need camber kits?

TIA.

Kis4KEN
09-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I haven't changed, rotated, or even aligned my shit for the past 6 years. They are Nexen Tires. Can't really say that they perform well, but I got them when Nexen was brand new for around $30/tire =). Recently, though I just flipped them... hoping that they'll last me another 6yrs.

Blah1219
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
My Ep doesn't eat tires, my lead foot eats the tires.