PDA

View Full Version : After a major loss, I bought me an ep3!

Popeye
03-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey everybody! New schmuck here from NC!
My dad passed away late 2008, and left me his 1980 Chevy K5 Blazer. Well, last October, while I was in a restaurant, biting into my 2nd hot wing, the host comes in and says "your truck is smoking." I was like suuuuuure. Maybe I was over-heating or somthing. Well, that wasn't the case! Apparently there was a short somewhere, and the battery caught on fire. By the time I got out there, it was just billowing smoke. It was too dangerous to get in there and do anything, so the fire department, etc, had to come save the day. lol I didnt lose the whole truck. Just the engine bay. It didnt even get into the cab. All the cab got was smoke damage.
Well, the truck was in AWESOME condition, and my dad had saved every single receipt. I was THINKING that I would get around $3500. Nope. I got $9100! So, I paid of some bills, got a new laptop, and a 2002 ep3.
I only paid $5500 for it. It had 134k miles when I bought it. For a 2002, thats decent miles. Im not the best mechanic in the world, but Im not afraid of my skillz. lol That and you can run Honda's into the ground. Since Im going to school, I dont really want to do too many mods that would make my gas mileage worse. One thing I KNOW I will be doing this year is wheels & tires and suspension. I live in the mountains, so there are TONS of curves. I cant take a decent curve without squeeling the tires on this car. So, I need more grip. Whats even funnier about me saying that is I cant afford to go out and buy some GOOD tires with GOOD grip. I need a higher mileage tire. So, unfortunately, I will probably have to go with Nankangs. lol (Insert puns here.) It sucks, but I am on a TIGHT budget because of school.
There are TONS of wheels that I like, but again, I hafta go cheap. So, it looks like I will be going with some Drag DR-35's, 17x7.5. I found some nice bronze wheels, but I could only find them in 17x7. I have looked at just about every single picture that people have of their wheels, and I am liking the 17x7.5 with a 225/45/17.
As far as suspension goes, again, I have to be cheap. Looks like I will be going with either the Pro Kit or Sportline kit from Eibach. I was also looking at the Tein H techs, but I dunno. I like the way some of the cars looks, but I dont like, or want, that big of a drop. A coilover system would probably work best for me because I live in the moutains. But, yet again, I cant afford that much. So, its looking like springs and new struts unless anyone can recommend a COMPLETE coilover system for $500 or less.
Also, I wont be able to buy ANY of this stuff until I can either sell my truck, or sell the motor and tranny out of it. Until then, looks like stockers for me!

sicivicguy
03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry for your loss and yes WELCOME!... And it's always nice when you get more than you actually though you were gonna get and $9100 is no "chump change" THATS A DEAL. Congrats on the buy and enjoy the awesomeness of owning an EP.... Don't worry about being on a buget... What ever can keep you paying the bills and driving around. :-)

Popeye
03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks ya'll!
You know, I friggin HATE when I get a wave of responsibility...I was just thinking that the money I would spend on wheels, tires, and suspension on my car would actually be a semester's tuition AND books. Insert curse words here.....
Well, I have to look at it on the bright side. Once I get outta school, I will be able to buy the new ZL1 Camaro. Awwww man....I guess I will just hafta make due! lol

ImportCustomx
03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Sorry for the loss..but at the same time not..im glad we get to meet you and hear your styory.

Post pics man!

smykhaisouk
03-08-2011, 10:34 AM
welcome popeye. we're glad you made it here to ephatch!

dkid15
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Ill sell you my megan track coils for 500. Only like 4k or so on them.

usedep3
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
you should get a beefier rear sway. For the suspension, its the best bang for the buck. you can get a progress on or even a dc5s one.

nmysiismyn
03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
:welcome: I'm sorry for the truck burning bro, but I have to say (like ImportCustomx) I think a congratulations is even more in order! I know the truck meant a lot to you, but that's definitely a bad situation made good. Great choice on the ride!
Pics?

Popeye
03-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I'll get some up soon. Its been raining a lot, so it looks like dookie!
It's just a stock white one. Nuffin special. lol
The more and more I think about it, I probably should just keep it stock. That money could cover me for a whole semester, tuition and books. My GI Bill runs out about 18 months short, so I will need the money! That and I should save what I can in case something goes wrong with mine or my wife's car, you know?
Thats still a pretty damn sweet offer dkid! Its tempting as HELL, but the responsible side of me says just save the money. I HATE being responsible!!!!

nmysiismyn
03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
The more and more I think about it, I probably should just keep it stock.

Mod it. :mbiggrin:

Prooooobably a bad idea to be surfin' around EPCrack.com then. :tehehyper:

AKAahlecks
03-08-2011, 07:47 PM
racelands are cheap coils
i hear a that theyre really nice for the price

bluebullitt2003
03-08-2011, 10:27 PM
dang sorry for the loss. hope your doing ok. Welcome to ephatch, everyone is pretty chill here and willing to help. enjoy the ep, its a sweet ride :)

usedep3
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I'll get some up soon. Its been raining a lot, so it looks like dookie!
It's just a stock white one. Nuffin special. lol
The more and more I think about it, I probably should just keep it stock. That money could cover me for a whole semester, tuition and books. My GI Bill runs out about 18 months short, so I will need the money! That and I should save what I can in case something goes wrong with mine or my wife's car, you know?
Thats still a pretty damn sweet offer dkid! Its tempting as HELL, but the responsible side of me says just save the money. I HATE being responsible!!!!

good call man. I can respect that.

Ahhhhhh white rules!

:racist:

Popeye
03-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks ya'll! Yeah, I probably shouldn't be on here. Too much temptation. lol But, there are always good people on forums. How else am I going to learn how to work on this thing anyways?
And who knows, maybe some money will be able to be spent on it. Just ass modding to one of my several hobbies...

AKEP
03-09-2011, 08:00 AM
mmmm ass modding.

i got my car somewhat similar, dad passed away and we didn't need a big ass truck. we traded it in so i could get a reliable car. got a brand new 04 =]

ace of spades
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
welcome. don't get Nankangs, I picked up Kumho Ecsta AST's for cheap and they're a decent all around tire. Raceland coilovers are $300 btw...

I have a CTR rear swaybar also, which was relatively cheap as well.

skoolnu
03-09-2011, 06:23 PM
:welcome: your already hooked, you just dont realize it yet.

02TWSI
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
DAMN, you got 9100$ for a K5 with fire damage?!

That K5 must have been cherry, was it lifted at all?