PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Lip instal question

[Sip]
03-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Hello !_!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm looking into purchasing a Mugen lip this year for my 03 EP. However, after doing some research, I noticed that it requires some bumper cutting. I have also read elsewhere that it might be possible to trim/shave the lip and place black vinyl where the holes were meant to be cut on the bumper.

Would one have to trim the lip at lot (to the point where it looks really bad)? My problem is that I have to take the lip off for the Canadian winer :mcry: ...

Any help would be very much appreciated :msmile:

RedSiBaron
03-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Since its the ducts that go through the bumper and there is tons of room surrounding the ducts on the lip it shouldn't be hard to make it fit, I think its a matter of cut-test fit-cut-test fit-etc-etc until you are happy...yes you could put vinyl behind the duct and trim the duct, but that's going to be more work getting the ducts trimmed nicely imo...

My suggestion is get a second bumper, when winter hits, swap them out instead of just removing the lip...or just tape up the holes in winter haha

ep3jd
03-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I would run a mugen lip if it didn't involve cutting my bumper since I change my mind a lot lol

[Sip]
03-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Yea, I would imagine it would be a bit of a pain. I might buy it, and then decide on the spot >_< . Thanks a lot though :). That is actually what I was wondering (about the amount of space around the ducts).

[Sip]
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
I would run a mugen lip if it didn't involve cutting my bumper since I change my mind a lot lol

Haha, I didn't realize it requires cutting until a few days ago >_< ! :) . I'm really thinking of picking it up this year. Thanks for the replies guys !

nmysiismyn
03-09-2011, 11:28 AM
My suggestion is get a second bumper, when winter hits, swap them out instead of just removing the lip...

:yeahthat: I agree 100%! GL!

Type_R_Nammer
03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Do what charles did.

Trim the bumper enough so you can swap the mugen lip and type r lip back and forth.

charles
03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Do what charles did.

Trim the bumper enough so you can swap the mugen lip and type r lip back and forth.

true. But i think that it only possible for jdm/euro bumpers and mugen lips.

I had a replica mugen lip for my usdm bumper a long time ago and i got tired of it. I wanted to switch to a type r replica but i think the holes were to big and the rep type r lip wouldnt cover those holes. Well heres a pic so you can see.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/charlesrev/IMG_0122-3.jpg

15000rpms
03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
or you could put some kind of tape over the holes in the winter or attach rocket launchers and machine guns in the holes(which I want to do)

[Sip]
03-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Really, eh? At the moment, I have the HFP kit ... I was looking at the Seibon Mugen lip. I've got their Mugen CF hood, and a showstoppers replica grille.

http://www.studioqube.com/forums/rsx_ep3_pics/ep3_5.jpg

Hmm...darn, I really love that darn lip. Another bumper might start getting pricey (and I'm low on storage). I was thinking putting the HFP one back on in the winter, but it'll be too low during some harsh winter days @_@ ! However, what you guys are saying makes more sense over my trim method I suppose haha. I thought I'd ask anyway...it's tough to figure out with a limited amount of online photos.

[Sip]
03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
true. But i think that it only possible for jdm/euro bumpers and mugen lips.

I had a replica mugen lip for my usdm bumper a long time ago and i got tired of it. I wanted to switch to a type r replica but i think the holes were to big and the rep type r lip wouldnt cover those holes. Well heres a pic so you can see.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/charlesrev/IMG_0122-3.jpg

Thanks dude! :D ...hmmmm so want @_@ ...damn Mugen >_<

[Sip]
03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
or you could put some kind of tape over the holes in the winter or attach rocket launchers and machine guns in the holes(which I want to do)

Yea I thought about the tape haha. LOL, dude, I think you just solved my dilemma. Rocket launchers all the way hahaha!

j0000stin
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM

HE'S BACK! buahahaha

Windchaser
03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Do what charles did.

If you follow the measurements according to the diagram, then the hole shouldn't even be cut high enough to where you can see it when the Type R lip is installed. However, if the lip is tightly fitted, it leaves a line on the bumper caused by the dirt accumulated over time and the rubbing, which is noticeable (clean, polish, and wax the bumper before you install to decrease that effect).

ep3jd
03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Or use double sided tape. That's my biggest pet peeve. I hate when you can see those marks because people are too lazy to use tape.

[Sip]
03-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Cool, thanks again guys. I found a lip for sale on ebay with some closeups, and it seems like cutting is probably the best way. Otherwise, it probably won't look very good. Hmm...damn it. I will be giving it some serious thought. :mconfused:

Windchaser
03-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Or use double sided tape. That's my biggest pet peeve. I hate when you can see those marks because people are too lazy to use tape.

The authentic lip comes with rubber gaskets that lines the top, but once your remove it, it becomes nearly impossible to replace.

Type_R_Nammer
03-09-2011, 11:01 PM
;860922']Cool, thanks again guys. I found a lip for sale on ebay with some closeups, and it seems like cutting is probably the best way. Otherwise, it probably won't look very good. Hmm...damn it. I will be giving it some serious thought. :mconfused:

link?

j.lai
03-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Does the HFP lip cover up the holes? I have replica mugen lip in the basement right now and wont be mounting it on my car until spring

charles
03-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Does the HFP lip cover up the holes? I have replica mugen lip in the basement right now and wont be mounting it on my car until spring

yes

[Sip]
03-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Booo, sorry dude...it was removed over night I guess. Perfect timing. There is one going out from the UK, but the one I was looking at (it was up for a while) was from Malaysia I think. It was quite used, but authentic (at least it claimed to be). There were a ton of photos from multiple angles. It just seems like one might have to trim a lot (which isn't necessarily the problem), I just think that the holes wouldn't look right showing through to the bumper.

A new bumper would still require new paint, and I probably wouldn't want to refit the grille over the new bumper, so I'd want to take the bumper side markers off and place them onto the new winter-only bumper, and patch the holes up on the old bumper...ugh...damn you Mugen bumper...why must you be so awesome.

[Sip]
03-10-2011, 05:45 AM

What charles said.

What do you plan for the winter once you put the Mugen lip on?

j.lai
03-10-2011, 08:32 AM
I was thinking of just taping up my bumper with 3m tape. That way it'll prevent rock chips and cover up the holes

ep3jd
03-10-2011, 08:41 AM
I really think its possible to just cut off that part of the lip. I might do it now just to see.

[Sip]
03-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I was thinking of just taping up my bumper with 3m tape. That way it'll prevent rock chips and cover up the holes

Was thinking about that myself. I just wouldn't want the cuts/holes to create a ripple paint crack effect...had that happen with my old car (maybe cause the paintjob was bad though :mcry: )

[Sip]
03-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I really think its possible to just cut off that part of the lip. I might do it now just to see.

Man, now you're making me rethink it again haha. You have one waiting to go on your car?? Hmm..

ep3jd
03-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't. But I might get one just to try this.

[Sip]
03-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't. But I might get one just to try this.

:mconfused: That's crazy. I'm looking at the Seibon one, and don't want to regret trimming it. Although I guess it'd be pretty obvious once I have the lip and see it first-hand. I'm afraid that the holes would get significantly larger the more you trim (if that makes sense).

ep3jd
03-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I would get the fiberglass one. Lol. Wait a month or two. If the retro fit I'm planning doesn't work I'll do this.

[Sip]
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey amigos...umm...so I'm waiting for a Seibon CF Mugen lip to ship. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for cutting the bumper. Mega thanks in advance :) !!

15000rpms
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
;878416']Hey amigos...umm...so I'm waiting for a Seibon CF Mugen lip to ship. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for cutting the bumper. Mega thanks in advance :) !!

You need to "slowly" put the lip under the car and slide it towards the bumper. Then use permanent marker to make the hole and cut. I used the foglight area as a reference that the lip is suppose to be flush with the foglight area. Then have fun trying to put the lip in.

[Sip]
04-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks man! Hopefully it won't be too difficult. I've had good experience with Seibon products so far *cross fingers* . Any suggestions on what to use to cut the bumper??