PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded valvetrain

Tortoise
03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Im gettin ready to buy skunk 2 stage 2 cams for my k24a1 and im wondering if i need to upgrade the valvetrain. Im hearing i wont need them because an a1 only goes to 7000rpm safely. What do you guys think? If i do upgrade what should i get? Id like to spend under 400 for springs and retainers. Do you guys think these cams will even make big difference in the a1? Thanks!

RHCP0801
03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
yes you should definitely get springs and retainers with skunk 2 stage 2 cams. You will probably gain about 15hp or so with these cams. I would also upgrade the timing chain tensioner just to be safe, skunk2 cams are notorious for wearing out the oem tensioner like it did on my car with skunk2 cams and blew the motor, i would never do cams again without a hybrid racing tensioner, a lower chain guide and the newer si upper chain guide, in fact i would just never do cams again lol, especially skunk2....be careful

mugen03
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
yes you should definitely get springs and retainers with skunk 2 stage 2 cams. You will probably gain about 15hp or so with these cams. I would also upgrade the timing chain tensioner just to be safe, skunk2 cams are notorious for wearing out the oem tensioner like it did on my car with skunk2 cams and blew the motor, i would never do cams again without a hybrid racing tensioner, a lower chain guide and the newer si upper chain guide, in fact i would just never do cams again lol, especially skunk2....be careful

LOL, just what you want to hear AFTER you buy the cams right haha. if your going to do it, do it right the first time an take precautions

Tortoise
03-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Ok well looks like ill be looking into a guide and upper tensioner. Already got a circuit hero lower guide which is supposed to prevent the car from ever jumping time but who knows..

mugen03
03-09-2011, 09:36 AM
any reasons why you decided this over vtec killer if you dont mind me asking?

Tortoise
03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
any reasons why you decided this over vtec killer if you dont mind me asking?

I dont really understand the whole vtec killer thing nobody can ever explain to me exactly what i need and where to get the parts. Also isnt it unreliable and prolly get horrible gas mileage since its like constant vtakkkk...

talonXracer
03-09-2011, 09:55 AM
You do not need to spend a fortune on springs, a set of typeS springs would be perfect, do not forget that you will need new valve seals and spring bases as well as the springs and retainers for any upgrade as the K20A3 and K24A1/A3 use smaller dia springs trying to save costs and internal friction(and only saved on costs).

Tortoise
03-10-2011, 01:44 AM
You do not need to spend a fortune on springs, a set of typeS springs would be perfect, do not forget that you will need new valve seals and spring bases as well as the springs and retainers for any upgrade as the K20A3 and K24A1/A3 use smaller dia springs trying to save costs and internal friction(and only saved on costs).

I looked up valvetrain by supertech,crower,and skunk 2 and nobody offers new valve seals or spring bases for their kits:( how do i know what i need? Im such a n00b when it comes to this shit! If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome!

RHCP0801
03-10-2011, 07:04 AM
they are called valve seats and all of those companies sell them

talonXracer
03-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Not valve seats, those are actually cast into the head, What I am refering to are the valve spring seats/bases(they are steel and prevent the springs from digging into the softer aluminum head).

The spring bases and valve stem seals are Honda parts and not from a aftermarket company. You need to pull the valve stem seals in order to remove the spring seats to install the larger dia ones required for any upgrade and then install new valve stem seals.

RHCP0801
03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
my supertech springs came with seats from supertech, i know the seals have to be from honda

talonXracer
03-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Didnt know that supertech included spring seats as well, that is good to know.

RHCP0801
03-10-2011, 08:22 AM
yea in this link they actually say some of the kits they include the seals and keepers from honda

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/supertechvskits-all.html

Tortoise
03-11-2011, 03:20 AM
So i just need a kit that comes with springs retainers and seats? And then i buy factory seals? I thought u said they needed to be a different size talon? And what are keepers? Do the spring and retainer kits come with these? Im about to say fuck this cam job because i dont understand everything i need! Also does the head have to be removed to do new valvetrain?

Tortoise
03-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Also with the skunk 2 stage 2s and upgraded valvetrain will i still be fine with the a1 oil pump? Cuz if i have to get a new oil pump im sayin fuck this whole thing.

talonXracer
03-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Changing out the springs requires several special tools as well. The head does not have to be removed, I have done several valve spring upgrades while the engines were installed.

First the spark plug has to be removed and a special air fitting installed(same threads as a spark plug) and air injected into the cylinder to keep the valves seated as the spring compressor is used to compress the springs so the cotters, then retainers and finally the springs can be removed. Then the valve stem seal is pryed up and off the valve guide over the valve stem, the spring seat swapped out, a new valve stem seal installed, then the new springs are compressed and then placed in their proper location, the retainers and then cotters installed and pressure removed from the valve spring compressor and then this is repeated for the remaining 15 valves.

Absolutely no reason to swap out the oil pump, it will still work fine as the cam upgrade will not change the top end rev limit all that much and nowheres near the range where the A2 pump would be required.

cloumep3
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Didnt know that supertech included spring seats as well, that is good to know.

yeah, my supertech springs came with retainers and seats as well. which I never installed...