PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Leaking Oil

KaeDu
03-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I need help. I have an 05 EP3 with a K20A2 and I am leaking oil on the pulley side, lower it seems. I replaced main seal before something on that side is leaking. If anyone has any suggestions on how to diagnose where the leak is coming from let me know. I really don't want to take shit apart and buy new parts when those parts aren't the casue.

sLiCk
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
There really is no magic to diagnosing an oil leak. Clean that suspect area out real well until it's bone dry. Do whatever you have to do. Brake clean, engine shampoo etc. Drive it and keep an eye on it.

KaeDu
03-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Only thing is that small drops of oil get spit all over it because it's by the would require constant eyes on while the engine is running. Is there any dye or chemical detection method?

sLiCk
03-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes there is dye specifically made for engine oil. It needs to be looked at under a black light. Anything flourescent and bright green would indicate a leak. If the leak is real bad, you'll be able to see it with a bright flashlight. Should be able to purchase it at the local parts store.

KaeDu
03-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I know but it's so hard to tell exactly where because the crankshaft pulley, is in the way so I can't say for sure.

talonXracer
03-10-2011, 07:25 AM
I would suspect that the seal is bad again. Whenever the seals are replaced it is imperative to ALSO inspect the new crank pulley and replace it if there is any wear on the pulley from the old seals..

Did you remove the entire front chain cover to replace the seal? You could have a leak around the cover if all the old sealant wasnt completely removed.

KaeDu
03-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I did remove the entire cover when installing the main seal. All/Most of it was removed, there may have been a microscopic amount left on there. How hard is it to replace with motor in car? I am weighing this vs. taking to a reputable shop SSA and paying about 270 to have it diagnosed and replace (not including part(s)). Let me know what you guys think.

monjarassi
03-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Too much but hey good wor from them guys. Good luck