PDA

View Full Version : Which Rotors? Questions.. Personal experiences?

iDom
03-10-2011, 06:33 AM
I want to get new rotors all around, I don't AutoX but I would like to soon in the near future.. So.. What's a good quality rotor to go with? I don't need drilled and slotted ultra super JDM as F hyper uber ventilated goodness but just something sensible for a street/autoX car.

OEM replacements?
Are the Power Slot rotors any good?
Any suggestions?

Also, I am doing Hawk HPS all around for general street use, I am not too concerned about gnarly brakes until I finally get in to AutoX

talonXracer
03-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Get the cheapest rotors you can find at AutoZone, NAPA etc. The important aspects are the pad's, fluid and tires.

iDom
03-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Alright great, thank you.
What do you recommend for fluids? Motul? And what kind? I know about NOTHING when it comes to brake fluids.

Zzyzx
03-10-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm partial to ATE Super blue & ATE Type 200.

ep_curious
03-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Good advice; I've been mulling this over as well...

RedSiBaron
03-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Pretty much no one needs slotted or drilled rotors...

I run brembo blanks, they are more than oem replacement, but the wear on them over the last 3or4 years has been extremely even and good...

iDom
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Pretty much no one needs slotted or drilled rotors...

I run brembo blanks, they are more than oem replacement, but the wear on them over the last 3or4 years has been extremely even and good...

Yea I was looking at those online at Tirerack.com but I only seen the fronts available for sale, do you have them all around or just the front? If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase yours at?

27rocks
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Get the cheapest rotors you can find at AutoZone, NAPA etc. The important aspects are the pad's, fluid and tires.

+1
Agree 100% with this...

talonXracer
03-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm partial to ATE Super blue & ATE Type 200.

Exactly my choice as well ! ! !

iDom
03-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Good stuff, thanks!

RedSiBaron
03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Yea I was looking at those online at Tirerack.com but I only seen the fronts available for sale, do you have them all around or just the front? If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase yours at?

I have 5 lug type s/type r brakes, so I'm running the type s fronts, and as for the rears, just look up the rsx rears and you'll find them...assuming you're 5 lug they'll be the same...I don't know where mine came from, I just bought them from my local race shop down the road that stocks them for their rsx enduro car...he said that those are the only disks he uses, just matches them with good pads and they hold up great, even in enduro racing

iDom
03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
No sir I am 4 lug :(
But thank you anyway!

talonXracer
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Just go to AutoZone and get the cheap rotors. take the saved cash and invest in a set of braided lines.

You stated this is for general street use, no need to waste cash on fancy rotors.

RedSiBaron
03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Just go to AutoZone and get the cheap rotors. take the saved cash and invest in a set of braided lines.

That's a better plan!...I have goodridge lines and I love them...no problems running them on the street for 4 years and they were around $100

plus my view on brembo blanks may be skewed...I don't exactly pay regular prices at my local shop...he is a distributor for so much stuff including brembo that im pretty sure he just gave me them at his cost because I remember going "hey this is cheap!"

iDom
03-10-2011, 10:20 AM

You stated this is for general street use, no need to waste cash on fancy rotors.

Yes I was about 90% sure on just getting OEM replacements because I can get them for cost so that's probably what I'll do. Then the new pads and new brake fluid and save it for a weekend.

talonXracer
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Yes I was about 90% sure on just getting OEM replacements because I can get them for cost so that's probably what I'll do. Then the new pads and new brake fluid and save it for a weekend.

If you can get decent prices on OEM, then you can not go wrong on about 99% of parts.

ptsmallz098
03-10-2011, 10:53 AM
What's everybodies opinion on ebc brakes. I was lookin at gettin just the regular rotors and their greenstuff street brakes or their ultimax brakes

carrito
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
i bought a couple weeks ago the summitracing slotter drilled (4 set) , so far so good....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-DSEP-3295R/Application/?query=Year%7c2002%7cMake%7cHONDA%7cModel%7cCIVIC&prefilter=1

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-dsep-5514l.jpg

tinman5
03-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Experience has taught me that holes and slots are great aesthetically, but for a wear item that will need replacement with any serious use, go the parts store replacement route. Autozone/Advance/OReilly's rotor come with a 2 year warranty. Assuming you have a decent relationship with the local parts counter monkey, getting replacements is very easy and straight forward, and generally results in NEW replacements.

Another thing to consider is that most machine shops/parts stores can not turn drilled and slotted rotors. Unless you know of someone with an old school drum style lathe, stores with the newer diamond tip machines would not rather waste tips on these style of rotors. Just something to consider.

Passenger
03-12-2011, 09:46 AM
^I think this might depend on the pads, I got a set of drilled/slotted rotors for like $50 from a buddy 4 years ago and just now replaced my pads about 6 months ago

iDom
03-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Alright, we got a situation.. OEM rotors didn't go as planned because they are sold individually and even at cost it's about 45 dollars PER rotor..

I am about to get some brakes on clubrsx.com, are any of their blank rotors reputable?

Andrew
03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Alright, we got a situation.. OEM rotors didn't go as planned because they are sold individually and even at cost it's about 45 dollars PER rotor..

I am about to get some brakes on clubrsx.com, are any of their blank rotors reputable?

i replied to your PM sorry dude i work all weekend at the peak hours of the day, but dont go jumping to buying things yet on crsx

iDom
03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
i replied to your PM sorry dude i work all weekend at the peak hours of the day, but dont go jumping to buying things yet on crsx

Well I am trying to get some rotors before the weekend, I PM'd you back as well.
I am doing wheels, tires, exhaust, spark plugs, valve check, camber arms, brakes (if I get some rotors) and cleaning up the car since it's getting nice out.