PDA

View Full Version : Best drop for stock shocks

Mad02Si
12-22-2002, 12:26 AM
I'm looking for a spring that will erase the grap donw to almost nil but not destroy the stock shock in to weeks. So far I have seen that Neuspeed rase springs drop the lowest with like 2.5, and Progress with a little less than 2.0. Does anyone have the either of these springs, or any other brand that will drop at lest 2.0. I have not seen any aftermarket shocks for the ep3 so I want the stockers to last as long as possible thx.

IceD out N CALI
12-22-2002, 02:19 AM
i've had the eibach sportlines from early april to early november. from november to the present i have had the race springs..what does this mean? well 've been on stock shocks with aftermarket drop for over 8 months and still no shock problems. trust me the roads around here are not all that smooth either. bottom line, the stock shocks most likely will not blow for quite a while after u put aftermarket springs:)

IceD out N CALI
12-22-2002, 02:22 AM
oh yeah i see its your first post, welcome to the site

Mad02Si
12-22-2002, 02:37 AM
Thx for the welcome, I have been here for a couple weeks just never posted. But my last experience was with my 00 ex, I had eibach Sportlines and the shocks blew in about a week or 2. I'm really leaning towards the Neuspeeds cause the price is right and the drop is around what I want..

Suk02Si
12-22-2002, 03:55 AM
yeah, Neuspeed's are the way to go

and welcome!

JSIR
12-22-2002, 10:24 AM
Your two goals are in conflict. Firstly, If you drop the ride as low as you are talking you have to expect to replace the stock shocks at some point in the future. It may be one year away, it may be one month, it may even be five years , but you have to expect it at some point. It's a gamble. Most people expect to replace their shocks when they slam their rides, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

If your main concern is preservation of the stock shocks, I think Eibach Pro-Kits will be easiest on the shocks of any spring. Personally I really like the quality and performance of our stock shocks, these are very good shocks for factory pieces, same as the CTR's. I want to keep them in good operation for as long as possible, so I've gone with the Eibach Pro-kits. Using the Eibach Pro-kits is approx. the same as the CTR springs, so I would expect the stock shocks to last for many years without any problems on these springs, should be very reliable. Mind you this drop may not be big enough for guys who like the slammed look, but it is a big improvement over stock. Factory length shocks will generally work well with any drop under 1.5", once you go over 1.5" drop the life of the shock is diminished. This even holds true for some aftermarket shocks such as KYB AGX. If you go over 1.5" drop you should plan on using some shortened shocks if available.

Dunrick
12-22-2002, 10:46 AM
Say you got coilover with 2" drop, lets say TEIN. Would that affect your stock shock? Thats over the 1.5" margin - I don't really know much about suspension. Also do coilovers help overall handling over just springs? Thanks a bunch! Peace

Mad02Si
12-22-2002, 02:54 PM
I already know I will have to replaced the shocks in the future if I go 1.5 or more but I just want to know a guestimate on shock life with basic driving nothing extreme, I like a low look.

IceD out N CALI
12-22-2002, 02:58 PM
i suggest u go with the race springs-the 1.5 stuff isnt enough. remember our cars are 4x4s stock, takes an aggressive drop to compensate IMO;)

Mad02Si
12-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
i suggest u go with the race springs-the 1.5 stuff isnt enough. remember our cars are 4x4s stock, takes an aggressive drop to compensate IMO;) I with you. My last car had Eibach Sportlines and when I got my Bilstien I drop the perches down to make it around 2 inch total

JSIR
12-22-2002, 09:11 PM
realistically you should get 1-2 years out of the stock shocks on such a drop. They may never actually blow, but they will probably become so bouncy after the first year that you will want to replace them. Some guys have reported bouncy rides right from the start after the drop, so I guess it depends on how picky you are about your ride.

IceD out N CALI
12-22-2002, 10:50 PM
overall i think the stock shocks can take a drop for a year or two maybe more

Jeremy R
12-23-2002, 02:33 PM
I just got a 2 inch drop on Sprints.
I was amazed at how nice the ride is.
I know if you lower some cars 2 inches they look totally slammed,
but not the ep Jeep. IMO, 2 inches is perfect.
I don't scrape on driveways or speedbumps either.
The sping rates are stiffer. Hitting a pothole feels about
the same. The only place I noticed a difference is over
like mutiple ripples in the road. Whereas softer springs soak
them up better. It is always a tradeoff, but I would not trade
the improved handling for anything. My car stays nice and flat
in the corners. Oh yeah, with a 2 inch you will need a rear camber kit for sure!

HondaMan
12-23-2002, 02:39 PM
I have to throw my hat in the ring for Progress again! :)

chunky
12-23-2002, 10:02 PM
the drop isn't what kills the shocks, it's the spring rates.

higher spring rates on a mild drop will blow stock shocks faster than a super slammed ride with soft spring rates.

Going too low affects ride quality & load bearing capacity b/c suspension travel is compromised. To combat this, get aftermarket shocks with a shortened rod, which helps re-claim some of the suspension travle that is lost with a really low drop.

But in general, if you go low with a mild increase in spring rate, your stock shocks will do fine. But any springs classified as "race" will shorten the life of stock shocks simply b/c the increase in spring rate is more than what the shock can handle.

personally I'd reccomend the eibach sportlines or h&r sport springs for a decent drop with good compatiblity with stock shocks.

HondaMan
12-24-2002, 07:06 AM
chunky,
Has H&R come out with springs made specifically for our cars yet? If not, you might be steering people the wrong way with those springs i.e. H&R Sport Springs that say 2001 & up Civic.

Currently I believe Progress (my choice) and Eibach are the only for sure companies making springs especially for our cars. Well, after some research it appears H&R is making springs for our cars now: http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=HR-51866-2&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=32&back=yes&dept=237

BTW, I saw the road sign in Mississippi or was it Alabama that says Chunky next exit on I-20 during my trip back here recently. LOL :)

chunky
12-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
chunky,
Has H&R come out with springs made specifically for our cars yet? If not, you might be steering people the wrong way with those springs i.e. H&R Sport Springs that say 2001 & up Civic.

Currently I believe Progress (my choice) and Eibach are the only for sure companies making springs especially for our cars. Well, after some research it appears H&R is making springs for our cars now: http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=HR-51866-2&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=32&back=yes&dept=237

BTW, I saw the road sign in Mississippi or was it Alabama that says Chunky next exit on I-20 during my trip back here recently. LOL :)

you mean the one in my avatar?? ;) a buddy of mine snapped a shot of it as he was passing through.

And yes, as far as I know, the h&r springs are for the civic si as long as you have the part #51866-2 as per the www.hrsprings.com website. They have specific listings for the civic si now.

It's the same spring as the 2001+ civics, but with revised spring rates specific to our car. I plan on picking these up soon, as they are a mild drop with moderatly increased spring rates.

civic hatch boi
12-25-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by JSIR
Your two goals are in conflict. Firstly, If you drop the ride as low as you are talking you have to expect to replace the stock shocks at some point in the future. It may be one year away, it may be one month, it may even be five years , but you have to expect it at some point. It's a gamble. Most people expect to replace their shocks when they slam their rides, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

If your main concern is preservation of the stock shocks, I think Eibach Pro-Kits will be easiest on the shocks of any spring. Personally I really like the quality and performance of our stock shocks, these are very good shocks for factory pieces, same as the CTR's. I want to keep them in good operation for as long as possible, so I've gone with the Eibach Pro-kits. Using the Eibach Pro-kits is approx. the same as the CTR springs, so I would expect the stock shocks to last for many years without any problems on these springs, should be very reliable. Mind you this drop may not be big enough for guys who like the slammed look, but it is a big improvement over stock. Factory length shocks will generally work well with any drop under 1.5", once you go over 1.5" drop the life of the shock is diminished. This even holds true for some aftermarket shocks such as KYB AGX. If you go over 1.5" drop you should plan on using some shortened shocks if available.

where can i get shortter shocks? someone said my race springs are shorter than stock springs so that's why they clank.. id like shorter shocks. maybe that'll make my sound problem better.

JSIR
12-25-2002, 11:17 AM
most of the high end shocks would be shortened , Koni Yellows would be shortened. I don't know what shocks are available for our cars yet, so you may want to look around.

1FstBlk02Si
12-25-2002, 08:16 PM
I don't know what drop to do...using stock shocks..rimz and tires..im looking for a huge drop...any opinions?

SpeedRacer
12-26-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
i've had the eibach sportlines from early april to early november. from november to the present i have had the race springs..what does this mean? well 've been on stock shocks with aftermarket drop for over 8 months and still no shock problems. trust me the roads around here are not all that smooth either. bottom line, the stock shocks most likely will not blow for quite a while after u put aftermarket springs:)

i dont know i might drive alot harder then you up in the canyons but i have atleast 3 blown shocks as of right now but im sure they would have been fine if i was just city driving. If your racing your car hard on stock shocks there going to blow eventually.

IceD out N CALI
12-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer

i dont know i might drive alot harder then you up in the canyons but i have atleast 3 blown shocks as of right now but im sure they would have been fine if i was just city driving. If your racing your car hard on stock shocks there going to blow eventually.

thats a good point, i dont push the car to its limits but i dont drive like a grandma either;)

chunky
12-26-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
most of the high end shocks would be shortened , Koni Yellows would be shortened. I don't know what shocks are available for our cars yet, so you may want to look around.

koni usually makes two versions of the shock, one with stock strut length, and one with a shorter length. you have to make sure you know which one you're getting

todaCspec
12-27-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by chunky

And yes, as far as I know, the h&r springs are for the civic si as long as you have the part #51866-2 as per the www.hrsprings.com website. They have specific listings for the civic si now.

It's the same spring as the 2001+ civics, but with revised spring rates specific to our car. I plan on picking these up soon, as they are a mild drop with moderatly increased spring rates.

with these springs, you would be able to use stock shocks because of the higher spring rates?

krispeas
12-27-2002, 04:27 PM
I put sprint springs on my car for a 2" drop. The ride was a lot better than I thought. I had to do camber kits though. It looks good.

Jeremy R
12-27-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by krispeas
I put sprint springs on my car for a 2" drop. The ride was a lot better than I thought. I had to do camber kits though. It looks good.

which kit did you get and where? I am ordering mine tomorrow.
I am dropped on Sprints and my wheels are sideways.:p

krispeas
12-28-2002, 12:05 PM
The camber kit is made by suspension specialties. You can get them from where I work. Our website is www.sounds-fast.com if you want to check us out.

carbonSI
01-03-2003, 05:05 AM
what about goldline? they have lifetime sag gurantee, so if they sag at all, get yaself a new pair, and they are about 200 bucks for 2 in all around... probly what im goin with.. my friend has em for his 96 hatch, and they ride very good...

jlktbk
01-03-2003, 11:34 PM
tell me what you guys think. i just got my wheels on, they are exel version 7s, silver 18 by 7.5, 40mm offset, with 215/35/18. now from the looks of the car doesn't look like i can drop the car more than an inch or inch and a half. does anyone have this setup or something similar!

krispeas
01-04-2003, 12:41 PM
sprint also has a lifetime warranty against sagging. and I personally like the ride quality.

carbonSI
01-04-2003, 01:41 PM
hmm, how are the 18's treatin ya? notice any power decreases/increases? im sure cosmetically they are siiick, im actually gonna go with 16 in slips, but my dream rims would have to be REGAMASTER EVOS in "allmighty gunmetal" 16's wrapped in some pirelli rubber :p :p :p but that would run me about 480 per wheel! :eek: -mike