PDA

View Full Version : My brakes feel like as if the car is not running... What causes it?

CivicSier
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
My brakes feel like as if the car is not running... What causes it?
Is it the brake booster?
It is hard to stop and I have to press hard and early to stop, it's scary..

atrain01
03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Air? Bleed?

talonXracer
03-12-2011, 07:09 AM
check your fluid levels and if low then replace your pads and bleed the lines, if not then you have an issue with your vacuum system/brake booster. Do you have any erratic idle issues? if not then the issue is the brake booster not holding the vacuum.

CivicSier
03-12-2011, 07:10 AM
I will Bleed them and top off the fluids and see if that does anything.

CivicSier
03-12-2011, 07:15 AM
If it's the booster would rebuilding it be worth it, or should I buy a new one?
What years and models have the same booster then a 03 EP3?

CivicSier
03-12-2011, 07:51 AM
What type brake fluid do you recommend, any DOT3 or honda?

talonXracer
03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I think the RSX brake boosters can work, possibly EM2 boosters as well, I havnt had to replace any, though I wouldnt use a salvaged unit, parts like this only transfer headaches when a salvaged part is installed, unless you know the complete history of the donor, and even then you can get boned.

There are check valves within the booster vacuum line that could fail closed, you can use a mightyvac pump and guage to troubleshoot the booster and lines. Disconnect the booster line at the mani and connect the mightyvac, pull a vacuum and the gauge will tell you if it holds vacuum or not and what needs replacing.

DONT pull a shit ton of vacuum or you can damage stuff if it isnt already shot. The helms manual will have all the neccesary troubleshooting procedures for the brakes. INVEST in the manual.

CivicSier
03-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks, I will try it.

superd16girl
03-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Definetly sounds like a bad brake booster!