PDA

View Full Version : Shift knob removal

Postman158
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm at work on my ambulance... so I cant check on my car right now. But to remove my shifting knob, is it just a screw on? Also, will a new knob screw on and have to attach to my boot? Is it a pain or a simple "screw and play"?

Thanks in advance.

rolldogK20
03-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Just twist the boot right under the shift knob and unscrew the shift knob..

MBaG
03-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Yea, you might have to pull the rubber boot out of the bottom of the shift knob. Then you just twist it off.

You're an EMT?

Postman158
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Ahh i'll give that a shot. Will most new shift knobs just screw on? Do I have to look for a certain thread size, or are they for the most part universal? And yessir, I'm an EMT. I'm on the ambulance again right now.. haha. I spend most my time on the forum while on the ambulance not running calls. We know where to go to leech wifi off all the local spots haha :)

jgn6848
03-14-2011, 05:04 PM
here you go... hope this kinda helps

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=755372

its a shifter bushing install but it shows the process of removing shint knob

ace of spades
03-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Ahh i'll give that a shot. Will most new shift knobs just screw on? Do I have to look for a certain thread size, or are they for the most part universal? And yessir, I'm an EMT. I'm on the ambulance again right now.. haha. I spend most my time on the forum while on the ambulance not running calls. We know where to go to leech wifi off all the local spots haha :)
EP3 uses a M10 x 1.5 thread size. most of the time you can say/ask for a Honda specific shift knob.

here you go... hope this kinda helps

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=755372

its a shifter bushing install but it shows the process of removing shint knob

thanks for the link. I posted the same DIY here a little bit ago, but someone probably deleted it.

OP if you grip the chrome ring under the shift knob and pull down it will detach itself from the knob. then you can screw off the stock knob. the trim ring shown on the link, I had dremel'd out and inserted 2 other bike pieces to make it look correct with that crappy chrome shift knob. this is what I'm currently using:

from an Acura Legend

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii142/blueEP3piece/IMG-20110301-00246.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii142/blueEP3piece/IMG-20110301-00247.jpg

the base doesn't right because of the round ring attached to a rounded rectangular knob, but it feels great. and the clips on the knob attach to the EP trim ring without modification.

ep3jd
03-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Why does your stuff always go bye-bye? Lol

ace of spades
03-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Why does your stuff always go bye-bye? Lol

not sure. people apparently know where to look for info when they need it though. lol

Postman158
03-20-2011, 11:24 AM
So say I buy http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-73_105/product-1346/index.html,

will that look funky with the chrome ring just sitting underneath? And, will the chrome ring stay up on the shift knob?

mitchlikesbikes
03-20-2011, 08:45 PM
So say I buy http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-73_105/product-1346/index.html,

will that look funky with the chrome ring just sitting underneath? And, will the chrome ring stay up on the shift knob?

the chrome ring clips to the stock shift knob, which is what holds it up snug to the knob when the shifter moves around. depending on what color shift knob you get you could take the whole boot apart and paint the two chrome trim pieces a matching color of your choice (i did mine black). but since the aftermarket knobs don't have the clips to hold the boot piece snug, you can do what most people and myself did and wrap some electrical tape around your shift arm at the correct height. this way, when you thread your knob on down, it will push the underside of the chrome piece against the tape and keep it snug against the knob. hope this helps

Postman158
03-20-2011, 08:54 PM
the chrome ring clips to the stock shift knob, which is what holds it up snug to the knob when the shifter moves around. depending on what color shift knob you get you could take the whole boot apart and paint the two chrome trim pieces a matching color of your choice (i did mine black). but since the aftermarket knobs don't have the clips to hold the boot piece snug, you can do what most people and myself did and wrap some electrical tape around your shift arm at the correct height. this way, when you thread your knob on down, it will push the underside of the chrome piece against the tape and keep it snug against the knob. hope this helps

Ah I had a feeling I'd have to do the lil electrical tape trick. I guess I'll just have to improvise with the chrome knob and try and paint it or something.. haha. So that knob should fit the thread on my shift arm, correct? M10 x 1.5 according to ace of spades.

mitchlikesbikes
03-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Ah I had a feeling I'd have to do the lil electrical tape trick. I guess I'll just have to improvise with the chrome knob and try and paint it or something.. haha. So that knob should fit the thread on my shift arm, correct? M10 x 1.5 according to ace of spades.

maybe i just missed it but that page doesn't say anything about the threading of the knob, only that it's universal (which usually means it has like a set screw i think) but since it's a civic only site, it could mean that it's universal to all civics. you might wanna look into it more i think

Postman158
03-21-2011, 06:05 PM
maybe i just missed it but that page doesn't say anything about the threading of the knob, only that it's universal (which usually means it has like a set screw i think) but since it's a civic only site, it could mean that it's universal to all civics. you might wanna look into it more i think

Will do. I dont want any of those plastic conversion screw things, I want it to screw directly on lol.