PDA

View Full Version : DC5-R Front Aluminum LCA? axles?

pino1
03-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know what kind of axles i need to run If i use the aluminum front LCA's from a Dc5-R? I'll be using 05-06 knuckle

Theres a mix up about running the type S axles or the DC5-R axles

talonXracer
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I have been running typeS spec axles for years with my DC5R suspension, you will need to run a late DC5 knuckle or install later typeS spec lower ball joint. Or get the LCA inserts from King MotorSports to fit the EP3/early DC5 spec ball joints.

pino1
03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks talon for the reply,
I've got the 05 Rsx type S knuckle, and i've got 05 ball joints, is there anything else im missing other than the front sway?

MugenReplica
03-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks talon for the reply,
I've got the 05 Rsx type S knuckle, and i've got 05 ball joints, is there anything else im missing other than the front sway?

Just the Kings Motorsports inserts. Also make sure the bushings are in good order on any of the LCAs you pick up. I've read a thread or two where the buyer had to replace a bushing, so if you haven't purchased them yet double check those as well.

MugenReplica
03-14-2011, 09:20 AM
I have been running typeS spec axles for years with my DC5R suspension, you will need to run a late DC5 knuckle or install later typeS spec lower ball joint. Or get the LCA inserts from King MotorSports to fit the EP3/early DC5 spec ball joints.

Over all of the years I've known you Doug, I always forget you have them installed. Any chance I can bum a ride on some twisty backroads one of these days?

lordofthesiths
03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm also looking to do this type of set up and i'm a little confused. I haven't purchased anything yet so where should i start?
When i get struts do i need to get DC5 struts or will EP3 ones fit?
DC5 types axels and knuckles. Whats the difference with the ball joint? Also what Kings Motorsports inserts are you talking about?
would it be cheaper and easier ti just buy the Mugen JDM Lower Front Control Arms and not have to change anything else?
type R sway bar correct?
will the PCI spherical LCA bearings fit either of these LCA?

sorry for so many questions?

talonXracer
03-14-2011, 04:49 PM
If you have a 05+ knuckle from a typeS then you do not need the inserts, the later typeS's and every year typeR had the same balljoint, the 02'-03' DC5S and all EP3's had a smaller dia balljoint stud so the tapered hole in the LCA needed to be shimmed out to fit, viola the King inserts. Cheaper shims can be found at mcmaster carr or fabricated.

You can also swap out the ball joints to obtain the proper fit, a far easier and cheaper option than the Mugen modified LCA's or inserts, then you can spring for a typeR sway bar, and or go with extended ball joints.

And yes the typeR LCA's bushings are compatible with the ES bushings and other front metal compliance bushings.

And John, Progress typeR coilovers, typeR LCA's with hard rubber bushings, extended balljoints, typeR sway(I have a new typeR sway being fabbed/modified right now, goes under the exhaust(no hump)), typeR rear suspension hard rubber bushings, 05' typeS rear sway, quaiffe LSD(consider it suspension as well, as it affects the suspension as well), D3 XX and V brace. Handles very well for a DD.

HondaFreak
03-14-2011, 04:50 PM
I have an 05 ep. I have the Itr lca's with the Itr front sway and ep3 axles. I am running the hard race offsett spherical bushings. King Motorsports makes an insert so you DON'T need to nut type-s knuckles or axles. This only works with the 04-05 5 lug ep3's.

Christian

talonXracer
03-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Christian the inserts will work for all years of EP3 as all years of EP3's have the same lower ball joint.

talonXracer
03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
The S2k has LCA's that are almost identicle as far as the bushings go. The suspension adjustments and hardware could be retrofitted over with a absolute minimum of fabrication on the subframe

lordofthesiths
03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Ok that makes sense now. I couldn't find any inserts on Kings web site so i was confused.
Thanks for the help. I don't know why we don't have a sticky explainging all this yet.

Hasbro
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Ok that makes sense now. I couldn't find any inserts on Kings web site so i was confused.
Thanks for the help. I don't know why we don't have a sticky explainging all this yet.

They don't list them. Give them a call.

MadLorEP3
07-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I have an 05 ep. I have the Itr lca's with the Itr front sway and ep3 axles. I am running the hard race offsett spherical bushings. King Motorsports makes an insert so you DON'T need to nut type-s knuckles or axles. This only works with the 04-05 5 lug ep3's.

Christian

I have an 04 ep3
dc5R fLCA's with king motorsport inserts
having problem aligning lca with bolts on subrframe...any tips? Are there any other parts that I missing?

27rocks
07-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I have an 04 ep3
dc5R fLCA's with king motorsport inserts
having problem aligning lca with bolts on subrframe...any tips? Are there any other parts that I missing?Try putting in the bolt just enough to where you can use it to pry the bushings a little bit. You almost have to pull or push then also push the bolt in at the same time. If that doesn't work then use a decently thick screwdriver from the other end and try straightening the bushing while you try to push the bolt through. Sometimes the holes don't line up so i use this method and it works every time.

Encoredc5
07-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I have tried everything I could to align the bushings into the sub frame. I had a crow bar and wiggle it so many times backe and forth and it doesnt want to give in. This is what Marcs running on his EP

-DC5-R front LCAS with only the Kingmotorsport bushing
- DC5 RSD buddy club
- OEM EP Ball joint
-EP stock knuckle

talonXracer
07-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Go by NAPA or a good tool store and buy an alignment drift, it will get those pesky bushings in line as long as you can get the tip started thru.

MadLorEP3
07-23-2011, 06:02 PM
awesome...tnx for the info...much appreciated...

EDIT: another question....
So if I wanted to use my ep3 specific progress front sway bar it would not work with the dc5r lcas right?

talonXracer
07-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Nope, here is a pic showing a typeR and a EP3 front sway

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0760i.jpg

MadLorEP3
07-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Oh shit ok tnx
So will dc5 types bars work or only dc5r

talonXracer
07-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Only the DC5R spec, I prefer the OEM bar but there are aftermarket sways out there as well(they are going to be costly)

MadLorEP3
07-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Awesome
Time to look for a dc5r front sway bar....tnx

WhiteComet
07-23-2011, 08:52 PM
I got the whole set on my car. Dc5r front sway, Dc5r lcas, king inserts.

You cant use the stock swaybar, you have to go type r since it's longer.

MadLorEP3
07-23-2011, 08:55 PM
tnx...found them new for $110 shipped...not sure if thats a good price or not

27rocks
07-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Where would one get a beefier sway for DC5-R??