PDA

View Full Version : Speaker wire

Supaduck
03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
what size wire do you guys use to go from aftermarket speakers -> amplifier? just trying to get a rough idea of what i should use.

he_li48
03-17-2011, 04:38 AM
14 gauage made by Scosche, if you are using an amp. (Can get it at Walmart)
If you are using stock radio I would not change the speaker wiring.

introvert
03-17-2011, 07:48 AM
I used some radio shack 14 AWG. It was solid black and looked decent.. The bad thing is that you really had to look at it closely to figure out which wire was positive vs negative. (One side has a small indentation the full length of the plastic housing.) I was given a roll of monster XP (14 AWG I believe) and it worked well. In another car I used Knukonceptz Karma 16 AWG, another solid performer for a good price.

If youre only running 22W - 80W per channel, the factory wiring from the harness is "ok". It's even decent up to 100W. If you're dead set on full wiring from amp to speaker, anything from 16AWG to 12AWG would be great for >80W/channel. If you're shopping online for wiring, just be wary of DB Link and Raptor. Both of them tend to short change you anywhere from a few feet to ten feet depending on the size of the spool you get. DB Link's plastic also oxidizes and looks greenish after a while. Monster, Stinger, Kicker, Knukonceptz are all solid wire for car use.

talonXracer
03-17-2011, 08:53 AM
I have always used Monster wire and cables. Not due to any real brand loyalty, just that I got what I wanted/needed at cost from a buddie that I did side work for. BUT saying that, I have some lengths of 12 and 14gauge Monster XP wire that have been used in probably a dozen different 4x4 installs and the wire and jackets are in great shape with all the abuse they have seen offroad.(I go through one or two trucks per year). I would have no reservations spending a little more knowing it would hold up for years of abuse.