PDA

View Full Version : So, I couldn't shift into 5th or reverse, and find this:

Rasy
03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
My right shifter cable was basically torn off.

http://rasyran.com/shift-linkage.jpg

I don't race, shift hard, and had both shifter cables replaced once before by a Honda dealership back in '06 since I couldn't get into 4th. I do use cruise control a lot if that matters any.

I'm the 2nd owner of this car, purchased in '05 at 33K miles, and it has 107k miles now - then this happened.

I don't exactly understand how the right cable could fray and tear off. The left one is fine, thankfully, so I can at least drive in 1st through 4th to the dealership should they come through for me. The lady said they warrant repairs only for 1 year/12k miles, but to call the service advisor who handled the '06 repair when he's available on Tuesday.

I do have a buddy club short shifter installed before any cable replacement, and I can't imagine it giving it trouble since I haven't heard of this from other BCSS owners. Is this normal?

RedSiBaron
03-19-2011, 07:47 PM
are you running an intake box? this is interesting

i dont think i have ever seen this on an ep...

this looks like when i twisted off the speedo cable in the 86si when I was 18...but shifter cables dont spin...

talonXracer
03-19-2011, 08:09 PM
DO NOT tell them you have a BCss. They will never NOTICE as it uses a stock shifter assembly and no sense rocking the boat! LOL

That looks like something near the end of the outer sheath was wearing on the cable. I would contact a local salvage yard to find a cable, I doubt the stealership will do it under any warranty and they will bend you over without so much as pre-rape kiss when you get the bill.

Rasy
03-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I have the stock intake. I see from Majestic Honda that the cables cost $93, which isn't too bad.

Is this something relatively doable? I installed the BCSS, but don't know about cables running from the interior to the engine bay.

When they fixed it the first time I had the BCSS installed before, and they didn't say anything. I didn't bring it up of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cables are finely twisted by design.

RedSiBaron
03-19-2011, 08:35 PM
I have the stock intake. I see from Majestic Honda that the cables cost $93, which isn't too bad.

Is this something relatively doable? I installed the BCSS, but don't know about cables running from the interior to the engine bay.

When they fixed it the first time I had the BCSS installed before, and they didn't say anything. I didn't bring it up of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cables are finely twisted by design.

yes they are twisted, thats the basic concept of steel cable, but it looks to me like it was rubbing...if this has happened before something is applying pressure to the cable

Rasy
03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
When this has happened before to one cable, it was the other end where the cotter pin goes (engine bay end). This time it's the shifter end. I'll inspect near the sheath and for anything else out of the ordinary.

I'll update this topic accordingly.

Rasy
03-22-2011, 09:23 PM
So, I took out the shifter cables today. It was actually pretty streamlined and simple. I removed the intake, catalytic converter, converter shield, and pulled it from underneath the car pretty easily after I detached them from the shifter assembly and transmission mounts.

If anyone needs help, feel free to PM me. In hindsight, I should have done a DIY seeing as how there are no instructions in the service manual, but I didn't think of doing one then.

Anyways, the dealership didn't help much, so I just ordered new OEM cables, and wanted to show everyone what caused one of the cables to snap.

Ignore the blue circle, the tubing within it rotates somewhat freely which is normal, and I just wanted to point that out.

The red circle on the other hand, shows a slight bend unlike the other cable. A bend that couldn't really be bent back with hand force. I assume it got into shape that way either when the mechanic put it in or that's how the cables came to the dealership in the first place. Over the course of five years, the cable was slowly getting damaged due to the bend. I put the damaged end for comparison and so you can get an idea of the area where it snapped:

http://rasyran.com/ep3-civic-shifter-cable.jpg

You guys were definitely right, it was something applying pressure on the cable, and this only happened because the cables had to be replaced the first time.

Will update when the cables are in tomorrow!

talonXracer
03-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Yup, that's the culprit!

That is a VERY common issue when the shifter is replaced, it takes very little effort to cause the kink. The same is true of the trans end as well, especially when installing the solid shifter end bushings, as I have a screwed up cable my self! LOL just waiting for it to end up like yours before replacing!

Now if Honda just took another .15 cents and extended and curved the steel cable sheath ends they would function far smoother and last.

Rasy
03-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Well, it's all done! Feels great!

I ended up removing the radio and the dash out, so I could pull out the shifter assembly. I then attached the new cables to the assembly when they were off the car, and fed the cables with the shifter assembly from the inside of the car to the outside, that way I don't have to try and attach the cables to the assembly with little space (BCSS owners know what I'm talking about!). I hope this helps anyone, as I scoured for help online, and found no official instructions or tips on replacing cables.

PS: Part # for the cable is 54310-S5T-A01.

TigerBallZ
03-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Great info. I need to check my cables now. I have a hard time getting into 5th and reverse some times. This may be the issue.

mancalvo1
05-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Are the cable linkages adjustable? and if so how?