PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7424xp

civictype_r04
03-20-2011, 08:25 AM
I want to pick up one of these up but need help with picking one out at autogeek.com.

talonXracer
03-20-2011, 08:53 AM
I have been looking into getting a new polisher/buffer and the PC looks nice and has a decent price.

I was looking at a Cyclo polisher http://www.cyclotoolmakers.com/polishers.php , twice the cost but seeing I also polish composite wings the extra cost will be worth it I think, here is another link with a little more info, http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page44.htm

If you want to find products to protect and care for your CF/composite and painted parts, the aircraft industry is the place where you want to look.

RHDmeatwagon
03-20-2011, 10:09 AM
I sell 7242s everyday. I have one myself its my second and Im very happy with it.

You can do almost just as much correction with it as you can a rotary and not worry about clearcoat failure.

Have you looked into the G110v2 from Meguirs? I feel it may be a little bit more powerful than the porter cable so depending on what your doing with it you may want to look into that. Keep in mind what pads you will be using with each. Megs G110 comes with a backing plate to fit 6.5 and PC you need a counterweight that it should come with.

Not trying to push my store that I work for one you but you should compare prices on Autogeek vs. www.autoality.com You can also put in the coupon code "forumfriend" and get even more of a discount.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions

civictype_r04
03-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I just ordered the 7424xp with a ton of poorboys products!!!! Can't wait for it to get here!!! I built my own kit!!

RHDmeatwagon
03-20-2011, 11:07 AM
I just ordered the 7424xp with a ton of poorboys products!!!! Can't wait for it to get here!!! I built my own kit!!

Sweet man, poorboys makes pretty nice stuff. Definitely a step up from mothers and what not

civictype_r04
03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Sweet man, poorboys makes pretty nice stuff. Definitely a step up from mothers and what not

Yea thats what I heard.... I only ever use to use meguiars stuff!!

Guardian
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I sell 7242s everyday. I have one myself its my second and Im very happy with it.

You can do almost just as much correction with it as you can a rotary and not worry about clearcoat failure.

Have you looked into the G110v2 from Meguirs? I feel it may be a little bit more powerful than the porter cable so depending on what your doing with it you may want to look into that. Keep in mind what pads you will be using with each. Megs G110 comes with a backing plate to fit 6.5 and PC you need a counterweight that it should come with.

Not trying to push my store that I work for one you but you should compare prices on Autogeek vs. www.autoality.com You can also put in the coupon code "forumfriend" and get even more of a discount.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions

how much is the discount?

RHDmeatwagon
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
how much is the discount?

10% on any purchase over $50

civictype_r04
03-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Same at autogeek.net.... and yesterday i go free shipping on my order cause it was a special they were running for 3 hours. But it had to be over $95 and I spent $260 after the 10% off..

civictype_r04
03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
My porter cable and poorboys probucts just came in!!!!

talonXracer
03-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Let us know what you think of the combo pkg you purchased, I decided to get a 7242, but not sure what accessory pkg would be best.

civictype_r04
03-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Let us know what you think of the combo pkg you purchased, I decided to get a 7242, but not sure what accessory pkg would be best.

Yea I will man!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RHDmeatwagon
03-26-2011, 10:31 PM

Dont get me wrong I love Poorboys products but as far as paint correction go with your PC I wouldnt go any other route that meguires 105 and 205. The BEST abrasives you can use with that machine hands down. Much more efficient than the traditional dimishing abrasives found in poorboys compounds and swirl removers

civictype_r04
03-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Dont get me wrong I love Poorboys products but as far as paint correction go with your PC I wouldnt go any other route that meguires 105 and 205. The BEST abrasives you can use with that machine hands down. Much more efficient than the traditional dimishing abrasives found in poorboys compounds and swirl removers

I used the 105 in the past but not with a porter cable... I just want to see what the poorboys products can do! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PAPITUYO326
03-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Nice!

I bought quite a bit of Poorboys stuff a couple of years ago. The nice thing about the Poorboys stuff was that I could do it outside without any reprecussions. It worked OK, but definitely had me second guessing my PC purchase in favor of a true rotary. I could still see a good amount of swirls after a TON of time. Cleaning up a black car = pain.

I'll have to give the Meguiars stuff a try.

RHDmeatwagon
03-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Nice!

I bought quite a bit of Poorboys stuff a couple of years ago. The nice thing about the Poorboys stuff was that I could do it outside without any reprecussions. It worked OK, but definitely had me second guessing my PC purchase in favor of a true rotary. I could still see a good amount of swirls after a TON of time. Cleaning up a black car = pain.

I'll have to give the Meguiars stuff a try.

Yeah my BF has a black STI that has been neglected and I have absolutley no problems getting swirls and light scratches out with 105/205. definitely not as temperature friendly as poorboys but oh so worth it. Just take your time with you PC use an somewhat aggressvie pad move slow and use lots of pressure.

mitchlikesbikes
04-06-2011, 08:11 PM
i just finished detailing on my NHBP with the porter cable 7424. I used M105 with Optimum finish polish and i think it came out looking pretty good. I used Wolfgang sealer that i got as a sample from autogeek and it seemed to help gloss it up a lot. considering the condition of the paint (which was horrific) when i bought the car and it being my first full car detail i think it came out pretty good. the porter cable is sooooo buttery too!