PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide what to mod first!

bpaverill
03-22-2011, 09:42 AM
I just bought a black 2005 Civic Si. I pick it up on the 31st of March. I've been researching what mods to do first and i need help from some experts. Since the V-Tec recycles the air one of my friends told me to start with cold air intake, intake manifold, headers, ect. But then i heard it would just be good idea to work on the suspension because when tuned right Si hatchbacks can take turns at like 60 or higher. I just want help deciding what i should buy and where to start. Please help, all comments welcome.

usedep3
03-22-2011, 09:54 AM

what do you want to do with the car? set a goal and work towards it instead of throwing money left and right and having a mish-mosh of parts

bpaverill
03-22-2011, 09:58 AM
i think i wanna work on the engine first and then move to the suspension/wheels. so saying that, what should i start with?

R34L-St4tus
03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
i think i wanna work on the engine first and then move to the suspension/wheels. so saying that, what should i start with?

a swap either k24a1 or k24a2. but if you can't afford k pro and the swap then i suggest starting out with the basic bolt ons. but you'll always be craving for more power.

RHCP0801
03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
if you want to do engine first, start with kpro...thats around $1000 right off the bat but so worth it in the long run. I see your from jersey, check out this thread there is a huge meet in atlantic city in mid april

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62724-Atlantic-City-Tropicana-Meet

Kerby
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
start with tires,
then get a good alignment
next brakes
After that do suspension - bushings, coilovers, CTR or USDM DC5 sways, CTR braces

get back to us when your done with that.

T_Virus
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
if you want to do engine first, start with kpro...thats around $1000 right off the bat but so worth it in the long run. I see your from jersey, check out this thread there is a huge meet in atlantic city in mid april

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62724-Atlantic-City-Tropicana-Meet

I agree, K-pro is a must and you can either get it now or later depending on your options though but either way you'll have it get it somehow.

BTW, I have k-pro if anyone wants it for $1000 PNF ECU. Never did use it. I bought it a while back but change of plans. And I don't need your ECU.

j0000stin
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
a swap either k24a1 or k24a2. but if you can't afford k pro and the swap then i suggest starting out with the basic bolt ons. but you'll always be craving for more power.

^^^
THIS! kpro, swap, and throw suspension somewhere in there

doubledouble
03-22-2011, 04:16 PM
start with tires,
then get a good alignment
next brakes
After that do suspension - bushings, coilovers, CTR or USDM DC5 sways, CTR braces

get back to us when your done with that.

This.

I'm a fan of handling first then power.

bolaep3
03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Rims
Tires
Struts or Full Coilovers
Cambers
Kpro
swap or FI
strut and sway bars
list goes on and on and on...

bpaverill
03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Aren't engine swaps a butt load of money? I mean I make good money but idk. Thanks a lot guys I'm sure ill have more questions when it comes to best parts for hp gains. What does everyone think about magnaflows exhaust that looks like the stock one? Is it any good?

heyvortek
03-22-2011, 10:35 PM
greddy turbo kit and kpro..for instant satisfaction......motor swap later on :)

AKEP
03-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Struts or Full Coilovers
Cambers
Rims
Tires
Kpro
swap or FI
strut and sway bars
list goes on and on and on...

fixed

T i might have to pick up that pnf kpro. or our new member "yrall" will eventually.

Cheep3
03-23-2011, 01:21 AM
start with tires, then get a good alignment, next brakes. After that do suspension - bushings, coilovers, CTR or USDM DC5 sways, CTR braces - get back to us when your done with that.

X3!
Basically work on your components that affect safety (and reliability) first! An intake would be a good first mod so you can actually hear the vtec - but whoever told you that the vtec "recycles air" is an idiot.. Whoever told you the car can handle "corners over 60" is an idiot also - don't listen to those people or you will risk your car, your life, and perhaps our lives as well. Good luck and happy modding!

bpaverill
03-23-2011, 07:01 AM
yeah i dont plan on throwing my car around i respect my cars so much. i also have a Evo X for the winter i just wanted something to play around with.
But what does everyone seriously think about the Magnaflow dual rear exit cat-back? i don't want an exhaust that sounds really ricer-ish. I saw a video on youtube of an si on a dyno that sounded like an sti, does anyone know why or how to achieve that sound?

ep3hatch03
03-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Ifyou dont like the fart can look gowith a spoon n1 mugen twin loop or toda exhaust i mean they are exspensive but woth it if u want somethin cheap go with the magnaflow setup and maybe a glass pack

Drew1d
03-23-2011, 09:46 AM
First, I'd start with a quick evaluation of the car. If the tires are good, the cars running well, and you've identified items that are replaced with aftermarket stuff, Or if you're sure it's stock,

- Start with an intake. It's pretty cheap, increases HP slightly throughout the rpm range, small increase in mileage, can be installed easily from home without even jacking up the car. There are many different brands (and prices), I went with name brand because I wanted good fitment and to be assured there was a place to put all the sensors back. The only trick I'd say to it is not to break your AAV when you remove the stock air box. I also use Armor-All on the hoses to make them let go easier. (it is a plastic/rubber lubricant after all.)

- Next, I'd buy a larger rear sway. I'd either pick a CTR/ITR or DC5, something that fits, comes with the bushings and is cheap. I wouldn't go above 22mm in thickness on those, as for non-honda brands, I doubt they'll give you a spring rate or anything like that, but don't go too crazy, because It will change how the car feels when you steer. This is a little trickier of an install. The car will need to be on jack stands, and you'll need to use the jack to pre-load the suspension. Also, I cut my end-links off and replaced them, (with sealed OEM end-links) it made the job a lot easier/quicker. And while your down there, it doesn't hurt to lube all the suspension parts. As for driving test it out a little in a parking lot. It shouldn't make you fishtail too much, and should correct some understeer. Take it easy at 60mph+ or in the rain till you get used to how the car handles. This is also a good place to start when you figure out how much over/under steer you want out of the car.

These are probably the two easiest mods to do to the car when it comes to performance. And their effects are subtle. But it's a good place to start, and will get you familiar with car.

Good Luck.

j0000stin
03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
yeah i dont plan on throwing my car around i respect my cars so much. i also have a Evo X for the winter i just wanted something to play around with.
But what does everyone seriously think about the Magnaflow dual rear exit cat-back? i don't want an exhaust that sounds really ricer-ish. I saw a video on youtube of an si on a dyno that sounded like an sti, does anyone know why or how to achieve that sound?

loosen a spark plug hahaha

Kerby
03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
UEL header gets you that sound. Recent K-series turbo manifolds are based on this design.