PDA

View Full Version : Help me !!..my fellow ep owners!

jdmpendeho
03-22-2011, 07:09 PM
sooo im trying to get new wheels and suspension .i drive tha 04 ep.. dont know what size rims or offset.. and wit suspension i wanna dump like around 800$ dont kno whats good ...and keep in mind im deff gonna auto x ..any suggestion?

whatsvtec
03-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Raceland coilovers, lol
I'm getting some soon

jdmpendeho
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
are buddyclub any good?? and how much u want for that tokico d?

RedSiBaron
03-23-2011, 09:39 AM
buy my tokico d spec shock/eibach spring.... it'll help you autox....

if you are running street tires...get R-S3....if u are pony up for slick...get hoosier....!!
Tokicos are junk...buy 4 from the same production run and put them on a shock dyno and they will all read differently...

You wont get very good dampening out of most cheap coilover setups...for 800 your best bet is buy progress coilovers, if not coilovers you'd have to spend thousands to beat koni dampening...pair that with a spring with the right rates for competition, and you're good to go...plus if you go too low you will compromise your suspension geometry and handling will go to hell...I suggest progress springs for street/comp, though the spring rates aren't super aggressive, they are slightly more than type r spec rates...they lower the car a driveable amount, you have about a finger or 2 gap with them depending on the size of your fingers haha

Raceland coilovers, lol
I'm getting some soon

Racelands are fine if you just want to lower your car and drive around on the street, but for autox I wouldn't trust them for one second

As for wheel and tire size we have a section devoted to it, as well as for suspension...ill leave this thread open for today, but tomorrow im closing it, this information is all over the site and searching can help you find it.

bolaep3
03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
"Tokicos are junk...buy 4 from the same production run and put them on a shock dyno and they will all read differently..."

I own Tokicos and I love them. The diffrence from my stock suspension is HUGE with them on. I never had them shock dynoed. But still to call them junk is kinda mean man :mcry:

RedSiBaron
03-23-2011, 05:28 PM
:mrolleyes: Im sorry you think its "mean" but, its the truth, they might be an upgrade in dampening over stock, but they are built extremely poorly...what I was pointing out is that the build quality is so inconsistent the dampening isn't even the same between 2 "indentical" shocks from the same production run...what you need to get out of that is production run...meaning the machines were setup to produce a set number of the same item, meaning they should be all the same...they aren't...also tokico is known in the racing world to be pretty fragile. I've heard of guys blowing tokicos first time out, during the first season, or by the end of the season...versus say, koni where I know of people running the same set of dampeners after 5 seasons...

Welcome to reality, sorry its not soft and fuzzy.

bolaep3
03-24-2011, 09:27 AM
I guess that's fair. But for a daily driver like me they seem to be working just fine. Can you guide me to the right direction on this formum to where I would find what are the best suspension components such as: struts, coilovers, cambers, sway bars, strut tower bars, etc. I want to make sure any future upgrades I make will be worth it you know? I havent had much luck in finding this info yet. I have seen the review sections but there a very few components reviewed in there

Thanks

jdmpendeho
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=RedSiBaron;866412]Tokicos are junk...buy 4 from the same production run and put them on a shock dyno and they will all read differently...

You wont get very good dampening out of most cheap coilover setups...for 800 your best bet is buy progress coilovers, if not coilovers you'd have to spend thousands to beat koni dampening...pair that with a spring with the right rates for competition, and you're good to go...plus if you go too low you will compromise your suspension geometry and handling will go to hell...I suggest progress springs for street/comp, though the spring rates aren't super aggressive, they are slightly more than type r spec rates...they lower the car a driveable amount, you have about a finger or 2 gap with them depending on the size of your fingers haha

thanks for the info..give me some nice wheels u think i should slap on my ep

Drew1d
03-25-2011, 11:42 AM
My Tokico D-Spec shocks in the rear work fine for the last few years. I like the adjust-ability of them. As for them being inconsistent, I haven't done any objective research to condemn them, I think few have. :mredface:

I do know a fellow that had them blow on him, he was moderately lowered but ran spring rates 3x stock. IMO, the springrate did it.

I think as long as you match the damper to the spring you won't ask too much of it. KYB works for me (in the front) because I run stock springs. I would think with either Koni/Tokico D-Specs, you can run a stiffer spring, within reason.

I would also argue, that a street car and an AutoX car are different. And sometimes the parts don't "translate" well to the other. And after all, they'll still let you race with a street car.

Good Luck.

Zzyzx
03-25-2011, 01:40 PM
sooo im trying to get new wheels and suspension .i drive tha 04 ep.. dont know what size rims or offset.. and wit suspension i wanna dump like around 800$ dont kno whats good ...and keep in mind im deff gonna auto x ..any suggestion?

You are going to use the car in compititons? Then do not modify the car untill after you've started; you will be better off in the long run.

jdmpendeho
03-31-2011, 07:38 PM
yeah i guess ima use my car for compititons..well im a noobie to all this ..i guess ima go for buddy club coil over