PDA

View Full Version : RBC Rad Support Modification? (Searched)

POOPTOOTH
03-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Just about to get to install day here and finally going to slap the RBC on my a2. I know I've heard through the grapevine that I need to mod the rad support. If so what methods did you guys use?

For the record I am running Avid 75a mounts as well. And yes my RBC has already been cut for the a2.

Thanks!

talonXracer
03-23-2011, 06:55 AM
The top of the rad support needs to be trimmed, about 1/2" or so of width. A little also has to be removed from the center verticle leg of the rad support as well. Check out the picture in my signature....

I remove the rad support, install the mani, then start sliding the rad support in and remove material as needed untill the rad support clears. I use the same right angle grinder to modify the rad support. Then you have several ways to finish off the trimmed areas, form a lip on the cut areas with the appropriate crimp tool or as I did, I justy cleaned the edges up, primed and painted the areas and then ran a piece of thin door edge guard over the cut areas.

usedep3
03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
i know we're not really suppose to post ebay links but:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CvcSi-RBC-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-4-DC5-RSX-JDM-ITR-EP3-CTR-/130477710966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6113de76#ht_19311wt_1139

scroll down towards the end and there's a DIY with pics on how to mod your radiator support. it's an alternate method on how to clear the radiator support

POOPTOOTH
03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
The top of the rad support needs to be trimmed, about 1/2" or so of width. A little also has to be removed from the center verticle leg of the rad support as well. Check out the picture in my signature....

I remove the rad support, install the mani, then start sliding the rad support in and remove material as needed untill the rad support clears. I use the same right angle grinder to modify the rad support. Then you have several ways to finish off the trimmed areas, form a lip on the cut areas with the appropriate crimp tool or as I did, I justy cleaned the edges up, primed and painted the areas and then ran a piece of thin door edge guard over the cut areas.

Thanks for the reply my good man! :msmile:

i know we're not really suppose to post ebay links but:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CvcSi-RBC-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-4-DC5-RSX-JDM-ITR-EP3-CTR-/130477710966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6113de76#ht_19311wt_1139

scroll down towards the end and there's a DIY with pics on how to mod your radiator support. it's an alternate method on how to clear the radiator support

I love this site...Thanks Mike!!! I bookmarked it, so hopefully the pics don't go away, but this is awesome. Gracias sir. :bow:

usedep3
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I love this site...Thanks Mike!!! I bookmarked it, so hopefully the pics don't go away, but this is awesome. Gracias sir. :bow:

no prob j, i'm actually planning to install my RBC and modify my radiator support this way. you can also use a rubber mallet and hammer away at the support. lldiesel386l hammered his and i've seen it in person, you can't even tell it's been modified. PM him. he no longer has the RBC but he might have some old pics showing the clearance

talonXracer
03-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Just elongating the holes for the rad support looks to be a fantastic quick fix! thnx for posting the link showing that!

fEPst3r
03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
awesome thanks for that link!