PDA

View Full Version : Honda Tuning Civic project Head work

Kerby
03-25-2011, 06:01 AM
I don't know if you guys have picked up the recent Honda Tuning mag, but in the project car pages they did some headwork and it gained them some decent figures.

Let's discuss this some.

What they did:

•Toda A3 cams
•Toda valvesprings
•Toda timing chain and tensioner
•BluePrint Racing valves, retainers, and head prep
•Skunk2 header
•Hondata FlashPro
•OEM Honda RRC (CTR) intake manifold, slightly enlarged throttle body (65mm)

what did you guys like? used different parts? what about machine shop?
Can similar gains be achieved on a K20A2, K20Z1, K24A2, K24 frank with A2 head?

talonXracer
03-25-2011, 06:15 AM
I am not a fan of the greatly overpriced Toda stuff, I would opt for K2's, SuperTech valves, OEM springs and retainers(not a available stock combo, but a custom mix of OEM parts), maxbore or Hybrid racing TB, a top end header, RRC or RBC mani (doesnt really matter, the difference is usually within the dynos margin of error). As far as the head work goes, I would do all that in-house to match the components rather than a one size fits all head prep. And of course Kpro as FlashPro is for the FaG2

MugenReplica
03-25-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't know if you guys have picked up the recent Honda Tuning mag, but in the project car pages they did some headwork and it gained them some decent figures.

Let's discuss this some.

What they did:

•Toda A3 cams
•Toda valvesprings
•Toda timing chain and tensioner
•BluePrint Racing valves, retainers, and head prep
•Skunk2 header
•Hondata FlashPro
•OEM Honda RRC (CTR) intake manifold, slightly enlarged throttle body (65mm)

what did you guys like? used different parts? what about machine shop?
Can similar gains be achieved on a K20A2, K20Z1, K24A2, K24 frank with A2 head?

Baseline dyno? Afterwards dyno? Scans of articles???

I'd be down for checking it out. I helped a local guy with his RRC install and issues he had when putting it on his 02 RSX-S. I'd be curious what the gains with a decent header actually are.

Kerby
03-25-2011, 06:32 AM
MugenRep: here's the article. It's also has dyno charts.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/htup_1104_2008_honda_civic_si_sedan/index.html

MugenReplica
03-25-2011, 06:43 AM
MugenRep: here's the article. It's also has dyno charts.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/htup_1104_2008_honda_civic_si_sedan/index.html

Sweet! Thanks for posting it up. Nobody carries Honda Tuning local to me anymore, so I can only get it on my sporadic drives to nowhere.

talonXracer
03-25-2011, 07:11 AM
DO NOT FORGET that Churchs dyno reads rather high, close to 6-8%. This is done on purpose so that all of their dynos can be used a little more interchangably. This is not a negative towards Churchs, just an explaination that dyno results at one location can be significantly different/skewed than what is seen elsewheres. Dyno runs should not be compared from different shops even when the same type of dyno is used. The ONLY true dyno comparision would be on the same dyno with the same exact weather conditions. Dyno's are tuning tools, not a real world comparison.