PDA

View Full Version : Throttle adjustment

black05ep
03-25-2011, 04:10 PM
has anyone had problems with their throttle adjustment? ive adjusted the slack on it a year ago, then recently a few months ago re-adjusted it because the car felt like the throtttle wasnt as quick again. and now it feels like its got the throttle response it had after the last time i adjusted it.. does the cars ecu learn the throttle adjustment and recalibrate itself for it. or is it just me? or has anyone else had this problem. i dont think i can adjust it anymore.

i_love_my_ep3!
03-25-2011, 05:01 PM
i have an 02 ep3 with 70k and i also have been messing with the slack on mine as well sometimes im trying to reverse very slowly out of the garage and if i dont give it a good gas it will die on me like as if i were new to driving stick.

dose this happen to you?

black05ep
03-25-2011, 06:56 PM
nope.. when u wiggle the throttle cable ull notice slack all you have to do is adjust the nut around the cable and take the slack out of it. but mine just feels less responsive when i push the gas recently.

whatsvtec
03-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I would think that you wouldn't want to tighten the cable so much that you change your idle. Just enough to take up the slack of the stretched cable.
:shrug:

talonXracer
03-25-2011, 09:09 PM
It wouldnt hurt to get a cable luber and give it a good douche, I seen a huge difference in pedal effort and sensitivity after using cable cleaner and plenty of lube.

black05ep
03-26-2011, 08:02 AM
I. Took up the slack.. so much I have no more. My idle isn't any differant.. ill try the cable lube how do I do that talonxracer?

Ep3crazy
03-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I had my just fixed i couldnt get it rite rite soo just took,it to get tunned but hey if u guys can show that would b koool...

SkareKrow
03-27-2011, 11:01 AM
@talonXracer :bump: for a how-to! :smile:

talonXracer
03-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Holy crap guys, havnt you ever worked on a bicycle, mini bike or motorcycle? lubing cables is lubing cables...

LOL

TS, Make sure that you do a ECU reset and idle relearn.

The idle can also be affected by a dirty Idle Air Control valve mysteriously enough......wouldnt hurt to give it a cleaning and lube as well.

Jpax
03-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Here Doug~ I will help the kiddies

http://bicycletutor.com/lube-brake-shift-cables/

And lube can be found here (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VF0QIK?tag=random-good-stuff-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B000VF0QIK&adid=007CQ3BB738VZA3G1971)

ImportCustomx
03-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Moved to engine

AKEP
03-28-2011, 06:16 AM
and clean/change your air filter

xep3tuner
03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
wouldn't hurt to check your throttle body plate, it could be getting stuck from gunk?

talonXracer
03-29-2011, 05:23 AM
wouldn't hurt to check your throttle body plate, it could be getting stuck from gunk?

This shouldnt be an issue at all, and in fact spray cleaning your TB bore will INFACT DOWNGRADE the TB's air flow and idle capabilities!!!!!!! There is a light coating of a graphite containing sealant that is BRUSHED onto the TB's bore where the butterfly APPEARS to close and seal the TB's bore(it does with the sealant but removing the sealant will phuck up your idle as the butterfly is NO LONGER sealed!!!). TB's are assembled on a production line, this sealant is required due to cost constraints with fitting the butterfly.

TheKone
03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Wouldn't a better way to adjust your cable be to have someone sit in the car and hold the pedal down while you adjust the cable till it just holds the throttle against the max stop? If you adjust your cable to tight at the idle position don't you run the risk of hitting the max stop before your pedal is to the floor therefore straining/stretching the cable?