PDA

View Full Version : problem help! Difficult to shift into 4th gear

hueyhy
03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
My car is 03 civic si, with 116k miles.

Not very big problem, I can still shift in and drive, but 4th gear is much more difficult to get in than other gears.

But when the car is still, I can smoothly shift into any gear. Problem just happens when driving on the road.

Have a short shifter installed. the previous owner did it.

Is it a worn 4th gear synchronizer? If that would cost thousands, I would rather live with it.

AKEP
03-28-2011, 05:57 AM
does it grind or just difficult? still as in off? or just not moving?

grinding = sync
difficult - clutch prossibry...

talonXracer
03-28-2011, 06:09 AM
I would say your clutch is starting to fail due to wear. Try adjusting the clutch pedal for the proper throw, and if it is correct at this time then you can add a little more throw to see if it cleans up the 4th gear drag.

It also wouldnt hurt to change out the MTF as well. The Trans only holds approx 1.7qts of MTF and it does wear almost as fast as the engine oil. I have found it essential to change the trans oil EVERY OTHER engine oil change. I have none of the usual issues seen with the Kseries transmissions following this schedule.

hueyhy
03-28-2011, 11:19 AM
does it grind or just difficult? still as in off? or just not moving?

grinding = sync
difficult - clutch prossibry...

No grind. difficult, but for 4th gear it is more than other gears.

hueyhy
03-28-2011, 11:22 AM
I would say your clutch is starting to fail due to wear. Try adjusting the clutch pedal for the proper throw, and if it is correct at this time then you can add a little more throw to see if it cleans up the 4th gear drag.

It also wouldnt hurt to change out the MTF as well. The Trans only holds approx 1.7qts of MTF and it does wear almost as fast as the engine oil. I have found it essential to change the trans oil EVERY OTHER engine oil change. I have none of the usual issues seen with the Kseries transmissions following this schedule.

Thanks for the reply. adjust the pedal? I'll try to see if i can find some tutorial online. is it possible to DIY? Is it adjust the tightness of the wire from the clutch pedal?
changing the MTF is what I'm planning to do. The previous owner told me he changed the MTF once. and he owned the car for 3 years, which I don't think the oil needs change. but since you said you change it every oil change, I think I can try change the oil to see if it can get better.

hueyhy
03-28-2011, 11:27 AM

found some tutorial, just turn some bolts and nuts? For my case means I should increase the total length of the link? (screw the bolt out a little bit?)
http://i1.tinypic.com/2wpjmz4.jpg

hueyhy
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
I also suspect if it could be the shifter. But don't know much about how the shifter works. I know how to remove the panel to see it. Is it a possible cause, and can anyone give some hint how to diagonize the shifter?

talonXracer
03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
It will not be the shifter.

There is no cable as we have a hydraulic clutch. And you are correct the locknut is loosened and the pushrod turned so that it lengthens the pedal stroke.(raises the pedal slightly) and there should be several threads on here in the trans section showing that procedure.

hueyhy
03-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I adjusted the pedal, and it feels better now. (maybe, not so sure....). however the engagement point is higher, which is not enjoyable.

But now I just find I missed one step in adjusting it. according to the instruction here: http://i1.tinypic.com/2wpjmz4.jpg, I should have loosen the nut A first(which is called "pedal switch"), and then adjust the pushrod. but when I do this, I directily go to the pushrod, and adjusted it. I don't know whether it would harm something. Driving OK now, don't know what the "pedal switch" do. Do i need go back to adjust it ? really painful to do the adjustment cos I don't know how much I should do for the pushrod. nothing to measure, even not able to see how much i moved it.
Can I just leave the locknut A, and drive with it as it is?

talonXracer
03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
It would be best to adjust everything, but where in the stroke is the clutch engaging?

What clutch?

Resurfaced fly?

Aftermarket clutchs often engage far too low, close to the floor, and this can cause all kinds of problems. But there are easy(but not quick) fixes to resolve that.

hueyhy
03-29-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't know how to adjust other nuts. I mean, don't have any idea what I want them to be.
The engaging seems not only at a point, but it's a stroke, maybe starts from half way of the whole stroke, and then it starts to engage. but if I slowly slip into 3/4, I thought it is already in free stroke, but if i release the pedal too fast, the car will have a jump forward.
should be stock flywheel. I just got the car from the previous owner. He didn't mention he changed the things around clutch.

one of my friends said my engage point is very low. (before i adjust the clutch). actually even now it is not as high as some other cars i have driven.

It would be best to adjust everything, but where in the stroke is the clutch engaging?

What clutch?

Resurfaced fly?

Aftermarket clutchs often engage far too low, close to the floor, and this can cause all kinds of problems. But there are easy(but not quick) fixes to resolve that.