PDA

View Full Version : Civic Ep3 / Rsx Type-R Suspension - Drop Questions?!?

T-TownEp3
03-28-2011, 04:14 AM
I'm planning to Drop my 2003 Ep3 this spring, last year I've changed the suspension for a JDM RSX Type-R complete Suspension, plus I had to change the tie-rod ends for RSX ones to fit all that stuff. I'm planning to buy some Progress lowering springs with a camber kit and a Rear sway bar to complete the kit but now I have a lot of interrogations...

I think I need some RSX Coils?
Are they the sames on the Type-R and the type-S?
Do I buy a Camber kit for the Civic or RSX?
Do I need Something else???

Suggestion for Brands, models, where to order???

I know its a little bit "tricky" question, I would need someone that has already worked with the same suspension (I think I'm in the right place for that)... Any infos or links will be appreciated!

hurry up boys! I can't wait to see my new "Works CR Kaļ emotion" hiding in the wings!!!

AKEP
03-28-2011, 04:55 AM
i'd imagine you would buy the springs that were made for the struts you bought, and not the chassis. therefore, you would want to get dc5-r or at least dc5 springs.
Edit - im not 100% on this but i think you could even run ep3 springs if you wanted. it would make sense because the springs are what hold the weight of the car, the dampers just keep it from bouncing. the rsx is a couple hundred pounds (i think?) lighter than our cars. the best thing you could do is look at P/N for the company's springs you want and see if they are the same for both, which i doubt. I would personally go with ep3 springs, since the parts look the same. Like i said, the springs were designed with the specific weight of the model it was designed for, not the damper.

the rear camber kits are the same for rsx and ep3

*****you would have to buy rsx camber kit for the front, and you would have to know what year (or assume it was a newer or older rsx) because they have 2 different kits available, they they let you pick depending on the last 8 of the VIN, by the looks of it, you have a VERY slim chance of owning one of the first 3183 rsx's of the year 2002 that need the special kit, the rest of the rsx's use the same front camber kit as the ep3.

and imho, why would you ruin dc5-r suspension with lowering springs? the progress springs are just going to ruin those struts, and kinda defeats the purpose.

what are your goals with this suspension? looks? performance? jdm bling?

MugenReplica
03-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Don't use the rsx lowering springs. The Ep3 chassis is lighter than the RSX chassis. The dampeners will be fine with the Ep3 springs. The Ep3 springs are made specifically for our chassis's weight distribution, cross weight distribution and general handling. This thread came up years ago with another member who asked the same thing, and if I remember correctly consensus said use the Ep3 specific springs.

Camber kit.....not sure. I have an Ex Motion Athlete orange suspension kit on my Ep3, but I have only played with the front camber with my Cusco caster/camber plates.

Not sure why you'd want to lower with the springs. The DC5R suspension should have dropped you .25-.5". The Progress is going to drop you considerably lower which will cause tie rod angle issues, shortened strut life and will definitely cause a crushed midpipe.

AKEP
03-28-2011, 11:02 PM
also i was referencing SPC's camber kits. which i run.