PDA

View Full Version : Closest set up to HFP??

waypastfast
03-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok, I am looking to buy the HFP suspension kit. Hopefully someone will part with theres eventually. BUT if not, what is the best option to go with that will provide the similiar drop and ride quality. I have heard great things about the HFP kit. I am aware of the mugen ss but i am trying to avoid spening 1k plus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MugenReplica
03-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Dc5R or Ep3R suspension (I've owned the Dc5R and liked it). It feels a tad stiffer than the HFP setup (little closer to the Ep3 Mugen SS (which I also had) for the Dc5R suspension). Get the JDM or EDM Ep3R suspension if you can find it, if not get the Dc5R suspension.

Other options that I'm not familiar with but should have similar dampening and spring rates.

HFP suspension for the 01-05 Civic EX & LX
RSX A spec suspension
RedSiBaron's suspension setup (look up his Members Ride, but when I drove it felt like my old Mugen SS)

Usually these guys have a Dc5R suspension and they MAY have an Ep3R suspension....
http://www.icbmotorsport.com/usdc5intyrsh.html

powdbyrice
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
your best (easiest to find) bet is the RSX A-spec kit. exact same idea as the HFP, but for the rsx.

but, i would spend the extra $150ish and get the progress coilovers.

edit: madlor has a set for sale in the classifieds for $700!!! id jump on it if i still had an ep.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?61117-Progress-Hotchkis-RBC-JDM-Mugen-Bride-OEM&p=869045#post869045

MugenReplica
03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
edit: madlor has a set for sale in the classifieds for $700!!! id jump on it if i still had an ep.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?61117-Progress-Hotchkis-RBC-JDM-Mugen-Bride-OEM&p=869045#post869045

Good deal on the Progress!! I loved the way TalonXRacers Ep3 felt with it!

NEO_FOLLOWER2
03-29-2011, 01:58 PM
dont buy the hfp set for the 01-05 ex
youll sag in the rear its not made for our heavier ep3 chassis

im in the same position as you

im on stock (2004 si)
i want something similar to hfp because i really am about to give up on finding an hfp set

aspec requires extra work that...i wouldnt know what shop would do it for me, the last shop said they wouldnt shave the rear dampeners...because they dont want to be liable for damages(im not much of a diy person, i could do it myself but im too busy) so i dunno what to do atm.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?59257-DIY-A-Spec-Suspension-on-ep3
so i sold that aspec set to my friend with an rsx-s(he paid exactly what i paid for it with shipping and all)
here is link to order aspec
http://www.curryacuraparts.com/pro.html

the mugen is the easiest to install and get that will get us our desired drop and ride quality...only problem is... its fkn 1300+shipping

i really want to just get the mugens but its so expensive!!!!!
can anyone find a deal on those?
if it were $900-$1050 i could afford it

waypastfast
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM

I agree! If i could get a reasonable deal i would be all over that. Maybe we should see how many people would potentially be interested and see if we couldn't do a group buy?

Just sayin....

NEO_FOLLOWER2
03-29-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree! If i could get a reasonable deal i would be all over that. Maybe we should see how many people would potentially be interested and see if we couldn't do a group buy?

Just sayin....

i'd be down.
if we chop off $100-$300 id be happy =D

talonXracer
03-29-2011, 02:24 PM
I have to say that the Progress coilovers(typeS spec) provides one of the best rides for a DD, hands down my favorite damper/spring setup. And the price wasnt all that bad.

I have the Progress coilovers, ITR LCA's, ITR front sway, 05' typeS rear sway, extended balljoints, D3 XX and V braces, DSS 2.9 axles on 225/45/17's and she is a taut comfy ride with capabilities.

MugenReplica
03-29-2011, 02:26 PM
dont buy the hfp set for the 01-05 ex
youll sag in the rear its not made for our heavier ep3 chassis

im in the same position as you

im on stock (2004 si)
i want something similar to hfp because i really am about to give up on finding an hfp set

aspec requires extra work that...i wouldnt know what shop would do it for me, the last shop said they wouldnt shave the rear dampeners...because they dont want to be liable for damages(im not much of a diy person, i could do it myself but im too busy) so i dunno what to do atm.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?59257-DIY-A-Spec-Suspension-on-ep3
so i sold that aspec set to my friend with an rsx-s(he paid exactly what i paid for it with shipping and all)
here is link to order aspec
http://www.curryacuraparts.com/pro.html

the mugen is the easiest to install and get that will get us our desired drop and ride quality...only problem is... its fkn 1300+shipping

Shaving 3mm off the rear lower bushings and converting your tie rod ends to RSX spec isn't that big of a deal..... I've done it twice and I know multiple members have done it before.

Get the Progress, the Aspec, or the JDM/EDM Ep3 specific. In that order, which ironically is order of cost as well.

MugenReplica
03-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I have to say that the Progress coilovers(typeS spec) provides one of the best rides for a DD, hands down my favorite damper/spring setup. And the price wasnt all that bad.

I have the Progress coilovers, ITR LCA's, ITR front sway, 05' typeS rear sway, extended balljoints, D3 XX and V braces, DSS 2.9 axles and she is a taut comfy ride with capabilities.

I wish somebody would make a copy of the D3 XX brace....

NEO_FOLLOWER2
03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Shaving 3mm off the rear lower bushings and converting your tie rod ends to RSX spec isn't that big of a deal..... I've done it twice and I know multiple members have done it before.

Get the Progress, the Aspec, or the JDM/EDM Ep3 specific. In that order, which ironically is order of cost as well.

o rlllyy
enlighten me on how to shave the rears down easily
i have the tierods and all that alrdy
ill just shave them down before i take to the shop and from there on its straight up swapping parts which the shop doesnt mind doing

regardless...if i could score those mugens for 1k flat
i'd rather have those, but i dont wanna pay 1300

waypastfast
03-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I know this may be a stupid question, but can you press out the bushings out of the EP3 shocks and then put them into the a-spec ones?

NEO_FOLLOWER2

I have the Progress coilovers, ITR LCA's, ITR front sway, 05' typeS rear sway, extended balljoints, D3 XX and V braces, DSS 2.9 axles on 225/45/17's and she is a taut comfy ride with capabilities.

how much of a drop is it?
i only want 1inch drop

talonXracer
The best part of the Progress coilovers in typeS spec is that for the rear lower mount all that is needed is to NOT install the two washers and they fit perfectly! For the fronts to work properly a set of typeS tierod ends are installed. It cant hurt to do new tierod ends with a new suspension anyways.

The Progress Coilovers have a 1-3.5" drop range.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
The best part of the Progress coilovers in typeS spec is that for the rear lower mount all that is needed is to NOT install the two washers and they fit perfectly! For the fronts to work properly a set of typeS tierod ends are installed. It cant hurt to do new tierod ends with a new suspension anyways.

The Progress Coilovers have a 1-3.5" drop range.

i think the springrates are alot higher than what im lookin for tho...
i'd rather have aspec or mugens or hfp

waypastfast
03-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Mugen FTW but the price is KILLING ME!!!!!

MugenReplica
03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Shaving the rear lower bushing? Isn't it a common sense endeavor? If you can't do it, take it to someone that can. Cost wouldn't exceed $50-$100.

talonXracer
03-29-2011, 04:21 PM

The ride with the Progress suspension blows the MugenSS away for comfort and handling, I had the MugenSS on just prior to the Progress.

For me the choice is/was simple, ride like a lumberwagon or Progress coilovers

NEO_FOLLOWER2
03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Shaving the rear lower bushing? Isn't it a common sense endeavor? If you can't do it, take it to someone that can. Cost wouldn't exceed $50-$100.

i have no tools. im a college student living on campus -_-

NEO_FOLLOWER2
03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
The ride with the Progress suspension blows the MugenSS away for comfort and handling, I had the MugenSS on just prior to the Progress.

For me the choice is/was simple, ride like a lumberwagon or Progress coilovers

really now...i would've expected quite the opposite
so the mugens were stiffer and less comfy than progress?

talonXracer
03-29-2011, 08:01 PM
The Mugen's felt harsh and short lived. The Mugens have a 1.5" drop in the front and a 2" drop in the rear, and then age sag hits(LOL as with everything! LOL).

NEO_FOLLOWER2
03-29-2011, 08:07 PM
hmmm so im torn between

aspec-$700(if i can somehow find tools to shave the rear bushings myself without screwing up)

mugens-$1300

i really am looking for a comfy ride with a bit of sportiness to it. nothing special it's just my DD.
what would you get?
trying to get a second opinion

powdbyrice
03-29-2011, 08:09 PM
as talon said, progress > aspec > mugen.

talon knows his shit too.

mugen is a track suspension that is streetable.

i haven't read a bad thing about the progress setup. ever.

powdbyrice
03-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I wish somebody would make a copy of the D3 XX brace....

tell shg_easyE to do it. or redbaron.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
03-29-2011, 08:25 PM

i want to take your word on it and pick up those coilovers for 700
but i just don't know!!

i don't want to end up with a stiff as fk ride and bumpy ride because i wouldn't have the money to change it afterwards

decisionssss...decisionsss hmmmmm

powdbyrice
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
i dont think you'll be disappointed.

someone else to ask, SinisterCivicSi. she's a mod here.

talonXracer
03-29-2011, 08:33 PM

You would be further ahead to get some DOM tubing and fabricate a new subframe integrating the brace into it along with a skid plate. The D3XX brace is awesome, but is VERY easily damaged around town! I have gone thru two of them. The front posts love to dig blacktop out by the pounds when you enter steep driveways, speed bumps and potholes especially when you enter parking lots nice and slow! the pipe posts fill with blacktop/debris while the steel deforms and splits.

powdbyrice
03-29-2011, 08:50 PM
hey doug, i was looking at the spring rates of the mugen vs the progress.

Stock ep3.................4.4k f/7.8k r
Mugen ss ep3/dc5....5.1k f/7.8kr
dc5-r..........2.8 ~ 4.6k / 3.0 ~ 8.0k
Progress ep3............6.3k f/11.6k r

you said that the Progress rides better than the mugen, even tho the mugen has softer spring rates. is that due to the valving of the dampers?

talonXracer
03-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Entirely due to the better damping and the progressive springs, which CAN NOT be compared to straight rate springs like you did above. Progress lists the springs as single rate, but they do indeed have a dual rate function. Their max spring tension takes longer to reach. You can produce 2 sets of springs that have the same identicle max spring rate, but you can make one set with heavy thick low wind count springs and the other can have thin high wind count springs. They will ride noticeably different.

powdbyrice
03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
didn't know that the progress coils were progressive.

only knew that the HFP was progressive. i *think* the HFP is close to the DC5-R rates.

waypastfast
03-31-2011, 07:55 AM
So I was doing some research and I think the closest i have come to the HFP set up may be Eibach Pro-Kit combined with Koni Yellows. You get about the same drop as HFP which is perfect (about an inch) and the ride is just moderately stiffer than stock. Any ideas on this set up? Maybe someone on here is running this and can give me some feedback? This will cost roughly the same as the HFP kit new and half the cost of the mugen set up. Thanks!

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-06-2011, 04:22 PM
fyi i found out you can replace the rear bushing on the aspec for ep ones that can get from the dealer for like 20 bucks
so...aspec doesnt require any hacking/dremel/cutting anymore

and the eibach is a bit lower than the aspec/hfp
its really up to you.

i may have found someone with the mugen ss for cheap
idk if i wanna do a used mugen set or go with aspec(now that i know theres no hacking require for install)

if i decide not toget the mugens ill send him your way...

right now im like 65%for aspec ....35%for mugens

usedep3
04-06-2011, 06:17 PM
fyi i found out you can replace the rear bushing on the aspec for ep ones that can get from the dealer for like 20 bucks

its really up to you.

idk if i wanna do a used mugen set or go with aspec(now that i know theres no hacking require for install)

but instead of grinding a bushing now you have to have a new bushing pressed out and a new one pressed in. i still think grinding it is the easier route. it;s really not that hard

waypastfast
04-07-2011, 07:43 AM
[/QUOTE]
but instead of grinding a bushing now you have to have a new bushing pressed out and a new one pressed in. i still think grinding it is the easier route. it;s really not that hard

I am with NEO on this one, I would rather press in new bushings than grind anything....just my opinion :).

waypastfast
04-07-2011, 07:44 AM

its really up to you.

Thanks for that! I sent you a PM if you decide not to go with Mugens. I like the look of the A-Spec myself as well and the idea of pressing in the new bushing is great one!

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-07-2011, 10:12 AM

its not a big deal to me at the moment because im getting a shop to put in new ES master kit bushings all around on my car with a bushing press soon because my stock bushings are all torn and ripped apart

just can't decide...between a used mugen ss(43k miles) or a brand new aspec setup...

mugens will sit lower and look better and be stiffer harsher ride...but how harsh....

decisionss...decisionnss

how long do aftermarket shocks/strut last btw?

02TWSI
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Not very much more harsh, just get the mugen SS.

waypastfast
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Hopefully last longer than my factory ones...lol. The fronts are leaking after 80,000km (50,000miles). Let me know what you decide. I need new ones asap. Thanks NEO!!

its not a big deal to me at the moment because im getting a shop to put in new ES master kit bushings all around on my car with a bushing press soon because my stock bushings are all torn and ripped apart

just can't decide...between a used mugen ss(43k miles) or a brand new aspec setup...

mugens will sit lower and look better and be stiffer harsher ride...but how harsh....

decisionss...decisionnss

how long do aftermarket shocks/strut last btw?

jay_si
02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
im curious, what did you guys end up doing? I been looking for the HFP suspension for the EP3 for about a month now and I can't find it new. Read this thread, and found some A-spec brand new for $600. What went down and how was the ride?