PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust scraping

Tortoise
03-29-2011, 10:46 PM
How do all you low guys not scrape exhaust everywhere?! Im hardly lowered at all and my megan drift spec almost drags the ground. Every little incline or bump it scrapes bad. Idk if my exhaust just hangs low or if all ep3s are like this...anybody have any solutions?! Im gettin ready to put on my racelands and i wanna be dumped but if i go even an inch down ill crush my exhaust! Wtfffff

PatrickJamesYu
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
If I'm correct, all EP's with aftermarket exhausts have this problem.
Take a look under the car, does the mid pipe hang pretty low?
I've read that our cars were designed without an exhaust channel.
There is A exhaust channel, but it doesn't seem to tuck your exhaust away like other cars do.
And you need to drive in angels

Tortoise
03-29-2011, 10:54 PM
If I'm correct, all EP's with aftermarket exhausts have this problem.
Take a look under the car, does the mid pipe hang pretty low?
I've read that our cars were designed without an exhaust channel.
There is A exhaust channel, but it doesn't seem to tuck your exhaust away like other cars do.
And you need to drive in angels

Yes my midpipe is what hangs very low. Im on some cut stock springs that the previous owner did and im not even an inch lower than stock. So idk what im gonna do when i dump!

PatrickJamesYu
03-29-2011, 11:02 PM
You're going to scrape, that's what
hah

Tortoise
03-29-2011, 11:09 PM
You're going to scrape, that's what
hah

Constructive answer...haha im looking for solutions!

PatrickJamesYu
03-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Constructive answer...haha im looking for solutions!

Get a stock exhaust
or get a custom exhaust mandrel bent to fit under your car really snug
I know the cat may be a problem, so getting a high-flow or a test pipe will/ can help with clearance.

Or it really is just driving in hard angels, or don't dump your car

Tortoise
03-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Get a stock exhaust
or get a custom exhaust mandrel bent to fit under your car really snug
I know the cat may be a problem, so getting a high-flow or a test pipe will/ can help with clearance.

Or it really is just driving in hard angels, or don't dump your car

I have a raceheader that will be going on at the same time as the coils so i'll be ok with that part and i guess ill jus have to get a one piece pipe made to hug the bottom of my car. I dont wanna go too low but i wanna be lower than i am which is almost stock

02TWSI
03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
My buddyclub with a modified midpipe doesn't scrape anything. I'm lowered on springs atm, pro kit. My stock exhaust scrapes more than my buddyclub....if I get another exhaust ever after I sell this one it will be custom cause exhaust plus these cars equals the.suck

Jukka
03-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Only thing I can think of is maybe take your exhaust off, and shorten up the hangers length and pull the exhaust up closer to the body. or maybe get some smaller hanger rubbers? I've got a Apexi WS2 and im lowered on H&R sport springs (2inch drop) and I scrape, but not too often. Usually its just a very light ding here and there. But main thing, slow down, take speed bumps/drive ways sideways. I maybe scrape once a month. Last one was a nice light ding in the airport parking garage the otherday.

Tortoise
03-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Only thing I can think of is maybe take your exhaust off, and shorten up the hangers length and pull the exhaust up closer to the body. or maybe get some smaller hanger rubbers? I've got a Apexi WS2 and im lowered on H&R sport springs (2inch drop) and I scrape, but not too often. Usually its just a very light ding here and there. But main thing, slow down, take speed bumps/drive ways sideways. I maybe scrape once a month. Last one was a nice light ding in the airport parking garage the otherday.

I paid a shop to raise mine and the idiots raised it like a 1/4 inch...i do take things slow and on angles but my problem is if i drop another inch my exhaust will literally be lesss than a half inch from the ground. And im not even low.

ep3_2_envy
03-30-2011, 07:43 AM
i once had a header test pipe combo and where the catback mounted up to the test pipe was not right and made my exhaust hang a little low. i now have a one piece header and its a little more fit to the car, im low and dont scrape.

also maybe its the way those drift spec exhausts hang that could be your problem.

ep3jd
03-30-2011, 08:56 AM
First off that exhaust system is stupid as fuck. The resonator is at the lowest point of the car... Why? That's just asking to scrape..

Take it to a shop and they can get it up a little higher, hopefully before you destroy it like I did..

Or look into a system that has the resonator in the stock location so it offers maximum clearance.

Also if you're NA you could look into smaller dia. systems which will obviously give you more clearance, and power because 2.5" is large for an NA k20a3.

I didn't read half the posts so if I said anything you did already or someone else said to do, I apologize.

RedSiBaron
03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
From what I've seen most companies don't spend enough time developing their exhausts to tuck up tight under the car...my mugen fits up tight as if not tighter than stock...you just get what you pay for...

My suggestion is either have a custom midpipe made, or modify the hangers on your setup to get it to fit tighter

drizzy88
03-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm having the same problem with my skunk2 mega power r, but only when going in driveways. My question is will slight scraping damage anything in the long run?

Rasy
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Slighly scraping it won't do much in the long run except hurt resale value at most. As long as the flattened parts, which wil be mostly the mid-pipe, have no holes, you don't have much too worry about. The shield around the catalytic converter can take some pretty good damage.

On the other hand, you should worry about your oil pan being low to the ground - too low + unavoidable debris = tow.

88crx
03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Slighly scraping it won't do much in the long run except hurt resale value at most. As long as the flattened parts, which wil be mostly the mid-pipe, have no holes, you don't have much too worry about. The shield around the catalytic converter can take some pretty good damage.

On the other hand, you should worry about your oil pan being low to the ground - too low + unavoidable debris = tow.

This. My old midpipe scraped quite often and even after 2 years of daily driving it was only slighly flattened right before it bends up in the midpipe. Just sounds bad, doesn't really cause too much damage.

02TWSI
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Indeed. Your Megan exhaust isn't going to clear because its a Megan and Megan could give a shit less about any sort of r&d feedback

MBaG
03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
You're lowered 1 inch, and you're scraping everywhere? ... Are your roads built out of huge speed bumps or what? Haha.

I'm probably 3x lower than you are, and I don't scrape often anymore. Just curve through speed bumps and driveways.

ep3jd
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
You're lowered 1 inch, and you're scraping everywhere? ... Are your roads built out of huge speed bumps or what? Haha.

I'm probably 3x lower than you are, and I don't scrape often anymore. Just curve through speed bumps and driveways.

The megan drift spec fits like garbage. When I was slammed I put it on and it was literally crushed beneath my car on the street. Then I had a shop tuck it up, still sat low, then I crushed the resonator...

Its right in the center of the car, instead of in the stock location before the lca. So you have a 2.5" exhaust, with the lowest part actually being a 2.75", hard to save that.

Horrible R&D on their part, but that's what you get for 300 bucks shipped...

civictype_r04
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Horrible R&D on their part, but that's what you get for 300 bucks shipped...

Haha so true!!

ep3jd
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Haha so true

First post I've seen from you with out exclamation points lol

RedSiBaron
03-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Good catch, I went ahead and added them...he musta been drunk or something to not have put them in...its ok now that I fixed it

MBaG
03-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Good catch, I went ahead and added them...he musta been drunk or something to not have put them in...its ok now that I fixed it

i lol'd. hahaha.

civictype_r04
03-30-2011, 08:38 PM

You guys are ass****s

!!!!!!!!!!

02TWSI
03-30-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm having the same problem with my skunk2 mega power r, but only when going in driveways. My question is will slight scraping damage anything in the long run?

Yes, please do your exhaust a favor and angle driveways. Or you will end up with a pancaked/scratched up exhaust that is worth less just because.