PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to share

superchargedk20
03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Just a few months ago I was thinking of boosting up my k24 to 14 psi and make over 350whp. Well Im so glad I didnt. I just wanted to share this little story with all the turbo guys and especially to the people who are new to the turbo game and want to make big power on their first setup. So heres the story

My turbo k24 right now is at 11 psi. Ive had my car off insurance caus of the winter and just recently have put it back on the road. Well last night it was a little chilly and i was cruising around. I floored it on the highway in 3rd gear and my car was completely jerking back and fourth with both hands on the wheel. I did not expect this and was like wtf? I looked at my boost gauge quickly and noticed that i was spiking at 14-15psi. My air fuels were still rich enough. And as everthing inside got hotter eventually i was back to my 11 psi.
Basically my story is for those few pulls I was seeing 14 psi my car was a completely different animal. I made 306 ft tq at 11 psi I dont even want to know what i was making at 14 psi. For a FWD car at 14 psi for me atleast the ep3 is to much for me handle and this is obviously not being tuned for 14 psi. I was on the highway and it was nearly impossible to keep the car in 1 lane in 3rd gear!! If some random car showed up and wanted to do a quick run I wouldve definately have gotten into an accident trying to control the car. After my experience last night I have absolutely no intentions of boosting any further. My motto has always been for a street car 300whp should be the limit. You guys out there that are new to the turbo game and even people who are making decent power but want more, be careful out there if your on the streets. Having to much power isnt always a good thing

j0000stin
03-30-2011, 12:46 AM
i see no point in hitting such high hp #'s on a fwd car anyway.

02TWSI
03-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Any car with balls and fwd will do this. My first experience ever with torque steer was my good friends mazdaspeed 3....I punched it in second and was like woaaaaah

AUTiger
03-30-2011, 01:32 PM
well, you may have convinced me to lower my goal from 350 down to 300. I will probably still do a tune that can get me in the 330-350 range for the track, but daily driving I will have it turned down to safer levels. Though I have a ways to go til I am boosted, only have a wastegate right now and picking up a turbo April 9th.

civictype_r04
03-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I just want to hit the 300whp mark and I'll be happy!!

POOPTOOTH
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Having to much power isnt always a good thing

It sure is fun though!

04EP3Hatch
03-30-2011, 03:31 PM
personally if i was boosted id go to 450 lol thats fun for a street car

superchargedk20
03-30-2011, 03:53 PM
well, you may have convinced me to lower my goal from 350 down to 300. I will probably still do a tune that can get me in the 330-350 range for the track, but daily driving I will have it turned down to safer levels. Though I have a ways to go til I am boosted, only have a wastegate right now and picking up a turbo April 9th.
I dont think its much of the HP as it is the tq. Most of us are running k24's we all know those things make tq. Im not saying dont do 350 im just saying be very careful out there. Boosted FWD cars can be very dangerous and I saw first hand the other night. Just be careful out there if u guys are street racing.

I just want to hit the 300whp mark and I'll be happy!!
300 is good!

It sure is fun though!
well yea it was a lil fun but pretty scary not being able to stay in 1 lane

personally if i was boosted id go to 450 lol thats fun for a street car
howd i know u would say something like that dan lol

goldEp
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
i was going to boost my k24a1 ep3 on 10lbs.. what do you guys think about the godspeed turbo kits on ebay for around 1000 bucks..?

j0000stin
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
i was going to boost my k24a1 ep3 on 10lbs.. what do you guys think about the godspeed turbo kits on ebay for around 1000 bucks..?

emusa is a lot cheaper. imho i think 275 is a fun ass street car. if youve ever been in a 275 to 300whp honda you know its fun enough

ep3jd
04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah 300 was what I always said I'd want

PAPITUYO326
04-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Gotta upgrade the wheels/tires to keep up with the power. Unfortunately you start needing to go pretty damn wide once you pass that 320 whp threshold.

TigerBallZ
04-04-2011, 09:18 PM
You have to consider other factors. For the power I'm making, it stays straight and gets great traction even on street tires. I can definitely see it torque steering, but you can't just say don't go past XXXwhp or tq.

AKEP
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
do u have lsd?

1GR8EP3
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
You have to consider other factors. For the power I'm making, it stays straight and gets great traction even on street tires. I can definitely see it torque steering, but you can't just say don't go past XXXwhp or tq.

im going to agree with TigerB, know your car and your limits. At any whp a car can be dangerous especially with the wrong person behind the wheel. You might of caught a rut that made it pull to one side or the street was slooped a bit, different scenarios. The ep likes to track so be careful

superchargedk20
04-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Never did I say dont go past xxxwhp or tq. I said be careful for the guys making serious power that drive there cars on the streets

TigerBallZ
04-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Never did I say dont go past xxxwhp or tq. I said be careful for the guys making serious power that drive there cars on the streets
You are right. I apologize. Now that I understand what you are trying to say, I agree. :hug:

superchargedk20
04-05-2011, 10:54 PM
You are right. I apologize. Now that I understand what you are trying to say, I agree. :hug:

I just want our ephatchers to be safe out there. And that goes for u too mister!!!!!

monjarassi
04-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I kinda agree and disagree with op.
When i first got my car turboed it was a hella difference and level of power, i came from an N/A setup on nitrous on the a3, to 350hp n 326tq on 14lbs of boost on a stock motor. The first night out i had problems with traction and wat not but problem was tires, and suspension setup, aside riding on open diff. Now its been 4 mths and since simple uprgades and a beefier, grippier tires up front i can pretty much do a 40-60 rolls on a hwy and pretty much stay in a straight line like [tigerballz] stated earlier. Now i finished having fun with the current pwr, now seeking to mid 400's with head wrk and cams.

I have driven my buddies peakboosted RSX-s k20z1 making 495hp and 290tq on 18lbs, and he has lsd and let me tell u its a blast, that thing moves and it aint scary at all. So it all depends on ones pwr goals and ability to handle the power they seek for or just not go there at all.:hand:

heyvortek
04-08-2011, 04:39 AM
i almost hit the wall at the track when i was boosted. no lsd so tq steer was krzy. also didnt help with 15s :) but now i am planning to do things right and aim for 400+. people should be careful when boosted. take baby steps

Tortoise
04-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Thats how my friends eg coupe is. It has a fully built d16z6 on 17psi and that thing is insane on the streets! Top of 3rd torque steer is intense.

japarossa
04-08-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm still shooting for around 400 hp, I just won't drive it like I'm at the track when I'm on the street.

xep3tuner
04-08-2011, 04:20 PM
launch control and nail steel plates on the ouside and inside of your fender to keep your front tires straight :) = key to success

Michael SK
06-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Also kinda agreed and disagreed with the post. We must take care in every car we drive turbo or not turbo, with a lot of WHP and with stock WHP.I finished my 3rd stage of the engine and i think is the final for some years with the proyect. I came from 265WHP to 628 now. All depends on the suspension, tires and the maintainance on your vehicle. Alsowe must upgrade brakes system when we think to go bigger on whp. I'm not riding my car with boost cause i have stock brakes that came to stop a car with nearly 130WHP, imagine now i drive with pump gast 471WHP. Waiting to have my willwoods to be safer on the streets.

gtimportfanatic
06-12-2011, 03:59 AM
i'm waiting on your qtr mile times Mike

heyvortek
06-12-2011, 04:18 AM
with great power come great responsibility....

Michael SK
06-12-2011, 08:22 PM
i'm waiting on your qtr mile times Mike

well bro, now i'm saving for the driveshaft axles and the racing tranny. I won't race the car without that. i don't want to be at the workshop every weekend. But let you know asap.

andyman97
09-13-2011, 04:23 PM
I was just searching threads for people who've tried to wire the eps into a switch and shut it off when they get on it. My em2 was boosted and made about 375 whp on pump and 489 on c16. I had a quaife in the trans and completely removed the power steering. Even with that, on the race gas at 489, 3d gear pulls were terrifying. Now that I have the ep, my goal for pump gas is 450 whp. I'm thinking of installing a switch to turn the eps off and I'll definitely be picking up an lsd. Anyone else try this? Also, any real helpful tips other than what's posted in this thread? I'm on as wide a tire as I think I can run, they're 225/50/17's and I just had the car aligned. I personally am not a big fan of the eps, it feels way to sensitive to me.

Reaper27
09-13-2011, 07:46 PM
I kinda agree and disagree with op.
When i first got my car turboed it was a hella difference and level of power, i came from an N/A setup on nitrous on the a3, to 350hp n 326tq on 14lbs of boost on a stock motor.

Was this with a stock a3? If so what turbo?

lbk02si
09-14-2011, 08:27 AM
It's called Kpro, and it has a Boost by Gear feature. Get professionally tuned using that and it will take away A TON of torque steer problems, trust me!

andyman97
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
It's called Kpro, and it has a Boost by Gear feature. Get professionally tuned using that and it will take away A TON of torque steer problems, trust me!
Yeah, I know. I have kpro on the car now. I also had a 500 whp d17 in my em2 that I was also using boost by gear with kpro on. That's exactly why I removed the power steering from the civic.

Do you think it may be that I'm just not used to the power steering in the ep3? I've only had the car a little over a month and it was really weird to me at first. I seem to be getting this response everywhere I look, that eps is really wonderful, etc etc. I just find that even now, n/a, when I romp on it and a turn is coming, it doesn't want to stay in it's lane.

lbk02si
09-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I know. I have kpro on the car now. I also had a 500 whp d17 in my em2 that I was also using boost by gear with kpro on. That's exactly why I removed the power steering from the civic.

Do you think it may be that I'm just not used to the power steering in the ep3? I've only had the car a little over a month and it was really weird to me at first. I seem to be getting this response everywhere I look, that eps is really wonderful, etc etc. I just find that even now, n/a, when I romp on it and a turn is coming, it doesn't want to stay in it's lane.

nope, torque steer is just a bitch man. when mine was max'd out at 500whp it jumped over 2 lanes of traffic. after the new retune using boost by gear maxing out at 436whp the torque steer is very easy to manage. now it just wiggles inside the lane but no more jerking over into other lanes like before. i'm telling you, get retuned and use boost by gear and your problem be significantly less. i don't see how removing power steering would make anything better, i would think it would make it worse.

sleepy ep3
09-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Better tires, LSD, better grip on the wheel. Fixed

superchargedk20
09-15-2011, 12:43 AM

I think people are taking this whole thread out of context. Better tires LSD and all that is great but regardless people still think there cars are bulletproof and end up hitting a pole and dying. We just had someone here recently smash there wrx and died. A few years ago a kid wrapped his evo around a tree. And andre knows the kid more than me but a kid testing out his Kswapped hatch ended up killing himself. The point of this thread was just for you guys to keep it safe with your track monsters.

gtolio
09-15-2011, 07:24 AM
I think people are taking this whole thread out of context. Better tires LSD and all that is great but regardless people still think there cars are bulletproof and end up hitting a pole and dying. We just had someone here recently smash there wrx and died. A few years ago a kid wrapped his evo around a tree. And andre knows the kid more than me but a kid testing out his Kswapped hatch ended up killing himself. The point of this thread was just for you guys to keep it safe with your track monsters.

The point is, don't be a dumbass. It really has nothing to do with how much whp you're making. You could be in a Yugo and get killed for driving like an idiot.

sleepy ep3
09-15-2011, 07:56 AM
The point is, don't be a dumbass. It really has nothing to do with how much whp you're making. You could be in a Yugo and get killed for driving like an idiot.
Troof

lbk02si
09-17-2011, 07:45 PM

you do realize that with better tires and and lsd you are going to be getting BETTER traction which WILL NOT help your torque steer whatsoever, in fact it'll probably make it worse.

ginger
09-18-2011, 12:07 PM
nope, torque steer is just a bitch man. when mine was max'd out at 500whp it jumped over 2 lanes of traffic. after the new retune using boost by gear maxing out at 436whp the torque steer is very easy to manage. now it just wiggles inside the lane but no more jerking over into other lanes like before. i'm telling you, get retuned and use boost by gear and your problem be significantly less. i don't see how removing power steering would make anything better, i would think it would make it worse.

ep3's dont have power steering, we have electronic steering, and the majority of high hp ep3/ high hp turbo period, vehicles will agree. wide tires/ sticky tires (tread wear under 150's), lsd, amazing tune, good suspension, and a good alignment is a very good thing to have as well.