PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Mod.

SiRman
12-23-2002, 05:09 PM
I still have the stock tires/rims, and no money any time soon for
new rubber or rims.

Any turns over 80km/h, and the tires seem to just roll over.
Since air is free, I decided to add a few psi and wow what a difference. The only compromise is a little bit more wheel spin
when launching.

I am now running about 37psi in the front and 33psi in the rear.

Anyone else played with their tire pressures, good or bad results?

pocketrocket
12-24-2002, 06:24 AM
Tire pressure is a huge factor in how your car handles. When autocrossing, I usually run a few more psi in the rear to make the rear rotate a little easier.. (except when I had my 240 :D .. that car was already easy to rotate, and rotate, and rotate......)
But experiment with all kinds of tire pressures, it all depends on the conditions, your tires, and your application. Plus upgrading those stock meats will be the best upgrade you ever make to your car. So save some pennies, just think, one Kumho 712 is only 7600 pennies.;)

-PR
oh.. you can also take some chalk, and put some from the tread blocks up the sidewall, and this will tell you how far your tire's tucking under when cornering hard.

SiRman
12-24-2002, 09:04 PM
I've heard of that chalk trick but for motorcylce tires, gives you a
idea of how far over you were. Never thought of using it on car tires.

DocofMind
12-24-2002, 10:39 PM
You can use white out too ;)

Tire pressure are one of the most critical components to the way the car responds. Ever notice how every time race cars come intothe pits during practice sessions they ALWAYS check teh pressures? Keep in mind that pressure fluxuates when driving. The hotter the tire gets, the more it will rise. Having different pressures front and rear, just as Pocketrocket as written above, will change the balance of the car.

Different applications have different needs. I dont know much about drag racing, but i always thought lower PSI was better for the driving wheels so that you could get a better launch.
Autox and road racing are totally different. Especially if you are running street tires. Street tires like higher PSI's to help get rid of sidewall flex