PDA

View Full Version : ebrake cable too tight, can't attach

dichotomous
04-03-2011, 04:24 AM
I replaced my rotors and brake pads on the rear and forgot to attach the ebrake cable on one side, remembered exactly 1/2 second after pulling the ebrake a couple times to set it. Now the cable at the caliper is too short, pulled in, and will NOT pull out at all. There is a nut on the end, but it doesnt seem to do anything when turned.

How do I get the cable to release and pull out?

charles
04-03-2011, 11:40 AM
If you take off the plastic ebrake handle cover on in the inside of the car, you should be able to adjust the cable from there

dichotomous
04-04-2011, 05:06 AM
nope, its loose in there, it wont pull out from the other end, at the caliper. tried prying with a big flathead screwdriver as well, almost broke the screwdriver but the cable did NOT budge. is there a max pull that the cable will not return from?

27rocks
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
You don't have to take the cables off to replace the pads or rotors first of all. But in your case i would take the caliper back off and disconnect the bracket that holds the cable and try to put it back on like that. It should give you a little more room to play with. Also there is a certain procedure you need to do when you replace the pads so the E-brake readjusts to its proper settings.
If you don't already have this download this PDF file of the FSM and it will explain how to do it along with a pad/rotor change. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62770-EP3-helms-man.-for-free!