PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever 3M Restore EDM Projectors?

POOPTOOTH
04-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey guys, just trying to finally give the EP some TLC and my German LHD Projectors could use some love especially. I was wondering if anyone has ever used the 3m Headlight restore on their JDM/EDM projectors and if so to what results? I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous taking a drill to these guys, but I want them to be shinning this year. Any help/encouragement would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Justin

Kerby
04-03-2011, 04:21 PM
A suggestion can be to try nail polish removal. Not as aggresive as the 3M.

usedep3
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
i did this on the set of ctr projectors (dom's set) i'm running right now. i could do a couple more passes with rubbing compound to perfect it but got lazy. i was happy with the result. it was $20 well spent. i did this about 6-7 months ago and it's held up fine. just make sure you either take off the headlights to do the refinish or tape up the surrounding area well.

02TWSI
04-03-2011, 11:32 PM
i did this on the set of ctr projectors (dom's set) i'm running right now. i could do a couple more passes with rubbing compound to perfect it but got lazy. i was happy with the result. it was $20 well spent. i did this about 6-7 months ago and it's held up fine. just make sure you either take off the headlights to do the refinish or tape up the surrounding area well.

Good to hear this works, can you pretty please with sugar on top send me that pic in your signature in regular size?? :P What are you lowered on?

POOPTOOTH
04-04-2011, 05:33 AM

Thanks brother, I'm going to give it a go and then use a sealer method I learned about over on AutoGeeks.com. Can you see any swirl marks or anything on your lights from the process? And did you start out with the burliest disc? Appreciate it again bud.

usedep3
04-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Good to hear this works, can you pretty please with sugar on top send me that pic in your signature in regular size?? :P What are you lowered on?

PM Sent.

Thanks brother, I'm going to give it a go and then use a sealer method I learned about over on AutoGeeks.com. Can you see any swirl marks or anything on your lights from the process? And did you start out with the burliest disc? Appreciate it again bud.

i followed the instructions 3m provided and used all the discs they provided. you might not need the first set of discs if they aren't hazed over that bad. i felt like i needed it. the last step (i think there are 3) in the 3M process is more or less just using a rubbing compound. there is some light swirling but sealing it, like you mentioned should hide that. you have to really get close to see those swirls though. the general public would probably leave the headlights as is after the last set. it's a night and day difference and they almost look new again.

wilpezash
04-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Used it on my EDM lights and was very pleased with the result. Mine has deep scratches too.
Just follow the instructions and take your time.