PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Steering Wheel/Hub

codyep3
04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
So I am thinking about replacing my stock steering wheel and airbag with an aftermarket steering wheel (as the title states). I DD my EP. I am just trying to find out how many DD their cars with aftermarket steering wheels (no airbag). Is it not even worth the safety hazard?

MR.Pizza
04-03-2011, 09:54 PM
It's for sure a saftey hazard, I suppose if you autoX you wouldn't want an airbag in your face if you tapped a bumper or a tire stack.

PatrickJamesYu
04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm running an aftermarket wheel
But I personally don't think it's worth it when talking about safety..
It may be nice looking and all that, and it can be a theft preventer with a quick release and hub lock, but it's like most vital safety feature in our cars..
Our car's aren't that strong.. haha

27rocks
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
If you get a full bucket and properly install some harnesses i say go for it otherwise just keep the stock wheel on there. At lest our stock wheel is nice, small and great looking compared to 99% of wheels out there.

Andieldiablo
04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
If you get a full bucket and properly install some harnesses i say go for it otherwise just keep the stock wheel on there. At lest our stock wheel is nice, small and great looking compared to 99% of wheels out there.

^^^^ i 2nd on this one. i got after market. i like it but whn it comes to safety, i got bucket seats and now looking to get harnesses. but over all im not planning on crashing my car, but sometimes the unexpected happens

Manny Kid 15
06-04-2011, 02:50 PM
this might be a off topic question but for those that have aftermarket steering wheel do you guys have working horns? i have been researching on how to install my steering wheel with my NRG quick release and my MOMO hub with a working horn but to no success. i have seen the DIY thread on how to remove the OEM steering wheel but nothing on how to wire up my horn cables and making sure they work properly... any advice would help text 323-308-5770. i want to get my steering installed this upcoming week as long as its not too complicated.

sleepy ep3
06-05-2011, 10:04 PM
So I am thinking about replacing my stock steering wheel and airbag with an aftermarket steering wheel (as the title states). I DD my EP. I am just trying to find out how many DD their cars with aftermarket steering wheels (no airbag). Is it not even worth the safety hazard?
I'll trade you my Nardi wheel for your stock wheel and airbag. Include pics so I can see if it's in good condition.

codyep3
06-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Sorry, the steering wheel is in pretty bad condition, that's why I wanted to go aftermarket. The leathe seems are pealing up

03silverEP
08-05-2011, 03:10 AM
Guys,

1. Airbags don't do shit if your wearing your SEATBELT. Airbags are designed for people not wearing a seatbelt.

2. Don't run harnesses w/o a roll hoop/cage. When the car flips, and the roof crushes you'll be squished. Shoulder belts allow you to slide out the way in a rollover accident. Harnesses hold you in so tight that w/o a cage it's risky.

**These are the rules for belts / harnesses / airbags / Roll Hoops for the PCA (Porsche club track days). I used to do tech. inspections.

Aaron_in_MO
08-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Guys,

1. Airbags don't do shit if your wearing your SEATBELT. Airbags are designed for people not wearing a seatbelt.
Thank you! I was going to say the same thing. Airbags are a supplemental restraint system, which is why they all say "SRS" on them. They were engineered to make up for the fact that people refuse to wear seatbelts, although that seems to be less of an issue year after year as society gets a little smarter.

Personally, I've always felt really uncomfortable knowing that airbag could blow out into my face, and result in major damage to me, even in an accident that may have otherwise resulted in nothing. Google "airbag injuries" and you'll probably want to disconnect yours.

Twisted-X
08-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I used to be all for airbags, then I saw an episode of "Mythbusters" where they found that an airbag can gruesomely break your thumbs. Now I'm not so sure (never wrecked in a car with airbags). They are another layer of safety in the event that the retractor in the belts doesn't fire (or your not wearing them).

gamma6
08-13-2011, 10:18 AM
I saw that episode too lol
Couldnt an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag be an insurance disclaimer or something? I mean looking at their pt of view, u get an an accident and when u get ur car inspected by them(to figure out the cost to fix the damage), and they see that u removed ur airbags, can they turn around and say f-you u screwed up by removing ur steering wheel?

PatrickJamesYu
08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Couldnt an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag be an insurance disclaimer or something? I mean looking at their pt of view, u get an an accident and when u get ur car inspected by them(to figure out the cost to fix the damage), and they see that u removed ur airbags, can they turn around and say f-you u screwed up by removing ur steering wheel?

Sounds like a big possibility
you should contact them and ask
It would be different for every insurance provider and I wouldn't even doubt if their policies change per state

Ba82Ep3
08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
I was hit head on in my EP by an SUV (i was under 30mph he was running a left turn lane red light). The drivers bag didnt deploy... but the passengers side did. The seatbelt did its job... saved my ugly mug and gave me a bruised shoulder. SRS is out of my current project car... aftermarket wheel it is.

Blah1219
08-14-2011, 08:24 AM

I can see that happen, but if you were wearing your seatbelt like you should, then all you should have is bruises from the seatbelt and some banged up arms. They can probably decline the health insurance, but no airbag shouldn't affect the damage on the car. That would be a good question for your insurance company.