PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice choosing tires

Dorachagi
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Time to replace the tires. I've gone through 2 (or 3?) sets of BF Goodrich G-Force Sports and enjoyed them but the seem to be on back order at Tire Rack at the moment. Considering the Yokohama S.drive's as they are similar in price (I think about $20 more than the G-Force's). Any opinions on them, especially if you can compare them to the G-Forces? Or perhaps another tire I should look at? In terms of weather and performance the G-Force's cope fine with conditions where I live and have performed well on the street and at the occasional auto-x.

Guardian
04-05-2011, 03:31 PM
try dunlop star specs

ep3colin
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
g force kdw2's, they are delightful

socmex7
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
both are great tires mentioned above, but are a tad more expensive (granted they are bad ass tires, I LOVE my star specs). the S-drives are comparable to the g-forces, they're a tad softer which provides a relatively softer ride. Another option I'd recommend looking into is the Hankook v12's. a tad more performance oriented than the s-drive and g-forces but are a great wet/dry tire that will perform as well as not break the bank..

Dorachagi
04-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the responses so far fellow ephatchers. Star specs and kdw2's both look great but are a decent step up in price from where I'm looking, and I don't see hankook v12's, at least not at tirerack for 205/55-16. I'm about to start my last year of school on the current degree so pretty much always tight on funds and I really hardly ever have time to autocross anymore since weekends are when I can work. So I need cheap ($400 or less per set really) and fairly sporty and aggressive for street use. If I were autocrossing I'd avoid a softer tire, but since I'm not and the roads in Memphis are some of the worst in the country trying out the s.drives is kinda tempting, and they are currently available too. Give me some more opinions and I'll ponder and order something tomorrow.

ep3colin
04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
the federal ss595 are very cheap and available in many sizes

Guardian
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
What size?

socmex7
04-05-2011, 07:45 PM
205/55-16 I guess...

Yea, the Hankooks aren't in that size, I assumed you were looking for tires in or around 215/45-17.. but in 205/55-16 i'd go for something with longevity. I thought I had sporty tires in that size then bumped up to 17's and the difference was night and day. the sidewall just feels soft on the 205's now.

that said, if you don't go for the s-drives i'd say the goodyear eagle gt or the yokohama yk-520's. both are asymmetrical all seasons that will outlast and out perform (in my and a couple other ephatcher's opinions) any other all season tire.

boricua4life
04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I have the sdrives n they are great man. had them for a long time now n are very reliable during any weather. i would highly recommend them to you;P Im on my second set right now

T_Virus
04-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Just get the gforce sports from somewhere else...Like you I'm on my 2nd set and they are really good tires.

Dorachagi
04-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Ordered the s.drive's, might as well try something new, if they're not as good I'll just go back to the g forces. Thanks all.

tht1guy
04-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Anyone tried the new Yokohama envigor?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using my God Damn Thumbs...