PDA

View Full Version : when does Honda sugges to change timing belt/chain on stock 02 SI?

shawoo
04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I have looked at Honda Service Manual, and the timing belt is not mentioned on their schedulable maintenance calendar.

I just hit 100k. When should I have the dealer look at the timing belt?

Thanks

*suggest. UGH

RedSiBaron
04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
we have a timing chain and a serpentine belt, not timing belt.

shawoo
04-06-2011, 08:40 AM
When to change timing chain then? Should we also change water pump at that time?

ace of spades
04-06-2011, 08:51 AM
way to help the guy out Charley.

beechstreet
04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
timing chains don't need to be changed.

carrito
04-06-2011, 09:35 AM

really? i didnt know that!

RedSiBaron
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
way to help the guy out Charley.

I figured if he has an fsm he might just be searching wrong since he was looking for a timing belt...and I didn't know when to change it, I only replace stuff when it shows signs of wear or if I've got it torn apart and I havnt replaced something in a while I just replace it :shrug:

ImportCustomx
04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Moved to Engine.

Here is some info that may help you.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31251643/Honda-Civic-Si-EP3-02-03-Factory-Service-Manual

you can scroll around through there. I believe the timing chain is indeed supposed to be changed @ 110,000 and yes you might as well do the water pump while your in there doing everything. its just a time saver. part isnt to expensive either.

good luck.

if you chose to do it yourself, please document each step of the way and make a how to. It would greatly help the site out if you took pics of step by step, documented what tools you used. any tricks etc. if you go through with that please let me know. i can make sure its stickied and posted in teh how-to/diy forum

ImportCustomx
04-06-2011, 09:47 AM

i want proof why they do not need to be changed...Please post up factual proof of why i do not need to change a timing chain.

Considering they do stretch overtime OR if you have failing parts etc then yeah your chain can definetly get some wear and tear that will need replacing eventually.

check this video out..shows you how the auto chain tensior works.

http://cms.skunk2.com/id/389/K-Series-Tensioners-The-Solution/

beechstreet
04-06-2011, 10:07 AM
i want proof why they do not need to be changed...Please post up factual proof of why i do not need to change a timing chain.

[/url]

Show me proof that a company suggests a service interval for timing chains. the chain tensioner will go before the chain does.

ImportCustomx
04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I will take a pic/scan the document i have when i can. It was honda's advertising boat in their brochures. "110,000 mile timing chain replacement!" i probably wont post it anytime soon, i'm to busy but if anyone has one of those catalogs/brochures for the 03 civic si then please snap of pic of that for me.

do you have any type of proof on your statement?

i just want to know the actual truth, people are always sayin oh yeah no need blah blah..its a chain.

shawoo
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Well i called the dealer, and they said it has a timing chain, not a belt, and that it does not need to be replaced unless you are having problems.

I feel old...my last civic, 93 CX had a timing belt. And i always thought the rule of thumb was (with any car) around 100K to start saving $ to get the job done.
I guess most cars have chains instead of belts? Ugh, i gotta get with the times.

I'm sure at some point they have to be replaced, but its not listed on regular maintenance.

ImportCustomx
04-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Thank you shawoo!

Ill see if i can scan or take a pic of the brochure i have that said the 110k thing.

shawoo
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
probably this: http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=2001102640895

RHCP0801
04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Thank you shawoo!

Ill see if i can scan or take a pic of the brochure i have that said the 110k thing.

timing chains do NOT need to be replaced unless something happened to it, if anything the timing chain tensioner itself fails, not the chain. It is not a wear item and is not part of hondas 100k service, all new civics have chains and all the other k series do also...changing the chain at 100k or 110k is not required

I was a mechanic at a honda dealer for 4 years and not once did we replace a timing chain on any car, only belts

BeaterEP
04-10-2011, 08:18 AM
That right there is why I told the local dealership to bite me recently and replaced the cams (galled) myself.
First thing the guy comes back with when I call to see about cost is "Oh, well that chain has probably stretched, we'll need to replace that"...
:suspicious:

It became clear through further discussion that the guy had waaay less knowledge of the whole deal than I did, so despite being stuck when I called, just kept at it with phone support from a guy I know in the area and did that shit myself.
Saved almost $1k worth of labor to boot. :biggrin1:

relativelyprime
04-10-2011, 08:53 AM
@Beater...*High five because we're cam gall brothers!*
http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=2003112037506
That's a link specifying a "maintenance free" timing chain. Chains DO NOT need to be replaced unless you beat the daylights out of your car and you start getting noises from it. Most chains will last 200,000+ miles. If you're in there doing a water pump and are paranoid your chain/tensioner are going to fail, do it then. I don't know what Honda's water pump replacement interval is, but my wife's Civic has 190K and has the original water pump with regular coolant changes. I figure I'll wait til it leaks or stops working although on cars other than Hondas I've rarely made it past 100K miles on a water pump.