PDA

View Full Version : noise from transmission while in netrual

shawoo
04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
When the car is warmed up, after about 30 min of driving, if im waiting in netral at a red light, the transmission will make noise.. When i push the clutch in, the noise goes away...i let the clutch go, the noise comes back.

Any idea what the problem can be?

whatsvtec
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Throwout bearing?

shawoo
04-06-2011, 02:22 PM
My last civic had a similar problem, my mechanic told me it was the input shaft bearing...not sure if thats the same thing you said.
I'm not hard on my civics, not sure why this problem is back on yet another of my cars.

usedep3
04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Throwout bearing?

^this. that was gonna be my guess

bizzle
04-07-2011, 04:32 AM
Mine does this too but I don't think it takes 30 minutes to happen, at least on my car. Also, mine seems to go away if I take the revs from idle to about 50-100 rpm higher, and I don't think it's just I can't hear it over the rev because the difference in sound between 800 and 900 is basically nothing.

RedSiBaron
04-07-2011, 08:23 AM
If it sounds like kinda clack clack clack clack, I was told by an ephatch member that was also a honda mechanic that it is some issue with a synchro getting missaligned or something like that, honda says it not a problem but some people have gotten it fixed under warrenty...I've ignored mine and replaced the throwout bearing since it started at 65k, the still does it sometimes and the car is at 95k...im not concerned

My 240 has synchro alignment issues and does the same thing actually

Tortoise
04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
You can hear rotation sounds in all cars until you put the clutch in. Even my dads brand new is250 6 speed does it. But if its real loud you have a problem.

whatsvtec
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
\..I've ignored mine and replaced the throwout bearing since it started at 65k, the still does it sometimes and the car is at 95k...im not concerned This... I don't notice any drivability issues. Although my clutch is mushy and worn, coupled with bad motor mounts I've learned to time shifts pretty well most of the time to compensate. I hate hearing the creaking noise of the mounts :nervous:

My 240 has synchro alignment issues and does the same thing actually

This interests me too. Any other similar trans issues you notice between the 2 cars?

RedSiBaron
04-07-2011, 02:42 PM
This... I don't notice any drivability issues. Although my clutch is mushy and worn, coupled with bad motor mounts I've learned to time shifts pretty well most of the time to compensate. I hate hearing the creaking noise of the mounts :nervous:

This interests me too. Any other similar trans issues you notice between the 2 cars?

Ya, im glad I replaced my clutch and motor mounts...the clutch and motor mounts wear each other out when one goes bad...I drove all the way to import alliance and back last year with bad drivers side and front mouunt and my clutch puked a spring, so I just didn't use the clutch to shift except putting it in 1st at stops, and my a/c comp blew up...fun times...needless to say I had a lot of work to do when I got back.

Uhh, well I don't know for sure, other than a similiar noise when there are synchro alignment issues....what's interesting is is the 240 requires gl4 gear oil 75w90 or 80w90. If you use gl5 in it, you cause the special coating (I think its zinc? I can't remember) on the synchros to wear off, and they start wearing abnormally. I don't remember if that has anything to do with the synchro alignment issue. I also can't remember if the ep trans uses gl4 or gl5, but I think it uses the same weight oil. The 240 trans is an archaic disaster in comparison to the eps, its noisy as hell with sloppy tolerances.

I havnt spent enough time dealing with either cars transmissions to do a proper comparison. Especially since im not even bothering to fix the 240s trans, I just went and picked up another with 90k on it for $70, and im just buying a k20a trans when I have the money, so I havnt bothered to mess with my ep trans. When the clutch went out I just threw a stock one in :shrug:

whatsvtec
04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Ahhh the easy way! :msmile: Always the best way. I like your thinking.

bizzle
04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh god, speaking of 240's this reminds me of when I tried to replace the clutch in mine. I got the trans out and the clutch set up but putting the trans back in was not happening. The weight and size of it combined with the fact you need to put it on your chest, lift it, line up and then turn it.. it was just not happening. My brother and I spent days trying to do it but the fear of having the trans fall on us was too much. I ended up going on nico club and offered anyone $100 to come help me. I guy drove from North Jersey down to South Jersey and put the trans back in within a few minutes, he had a lot of experience. Thankfully he offered to help finish the job and even drove me to parts stores to get a slave cylinder because it ended up crapping out right away.