PDA

View Full Version : SUPER NOOOOOB Question....

waypastfast
04-07-2011, 11:02 AM
So I have debating between the K20a2 swap or a supercharger. My question is with the price of gas going up like mad, can you run the supercharger on regular gas or is premium mandatory? Its a given on the K20A2 that you have to run the good stuff. I would consider the supercharger more so if regular gas is all that is required, if it keeps jumping 5cents a litre up here i will go broke using premium lol. I searched but couldn't find an answer! Thanks for the input guys/gals!

superchargedk20
04-07-2011, 11:47 AM
If ur worried about gas then u shouldn't be doing either

mitchlikesbikes
04-07-2011, 11:51 AM

word

j0000stin
04-07-2011, 12:12 PM
just put on a big ass turbo

02TWSI
04-07-2011, 12:30 PM

this.....

waypastfast
04-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey, its just a question.....lol. I mean for a daily driver/commuter I want to have that gas mileage there thats all. I would be really driving hard 10-15% of the time and when i do it would be nice to have that extra power BUT still have some sort of efficiency....

EP3 Dream
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
i know where your coming from, but think of it this way, the more power you put into your car, the more tempted you will WOT, also in some cases, more power uses more fuel. one example, a SRI, theoretically speaking, it increases the air volume into the engine, i think it has something to do with air/fuel ratio? not sure, but it would be more efficient. however, with that SRI, we will want to rev it a little more and more frequently, so in turn, your actually using up a bit more gas becuase your WOT. when not WOTing. not sure if its understandable, the way im explaining, but i tried lol

waypastfast
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from! But being in my late 30's now I am past my WOT stage that I would be doing a few years back. Most of the time I am just keeping with the flow of traffic. But there are times when I like to play and thats why it would be great to have the best of both worlds.

EP3 Dream
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from! But being in my late 30's now I am past my WOT stage that I would be doing a few years back. Most of the time I am just keeping with the flow of traffic. But there are times when I like to play and thats why it would be great to have the best of both worlds.

hahahahaha xD thats how i feel about driving the CRV "i wanna play already dammit" lol

superchargedk20
04-07-2011, 05:12 PM

once u mod ur always gona be wot. It's just the way it is. When my rsx was stock I never hit vtec. I put an intake now I always hit vtec. Just the way it is

whatsvtec
04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
hahahahaha xD thats how i feel about driving the CRV "i wanna play already dammit" lol

k24a1 crv? head swap it and slap on a turbo, you'll play

whatsvtec
04-07-2011, 06:35 PM
once u mod ur always gona be wot. It's just the way it is. When my rsx was stock I never hit vtec. I put an intake now I always hit vtec. Just the way it is

I agree with the OP on this point. I WOT my car all day long and love having fun with it because, well, it's slow...
In my mind, after doing an engine swap and/or putting k-pro and going forced induction in, it would be way more sensible to lay back. Knowing what the car can do, but waiting to release it at the seldom right times. Not many people have frequent track access. So why waste miles of fast and abusive driving on shitty and unsafe public roads?

EDIT: I also haven't even started with the all the PM work I have in store for the car very soon, so I don't mind laying into it when I drive.

To address the OP's thread topic. The best option for you to do right now, is DO SOME MORE HOMEWORK on our cars. There are so many options that no single person could tell you what would be "THE BEST" way. Cams, valves, and v-tec killer with a k24a1 head on the stock block could provide numbers and results you'd be happy with, or you could do k24a1 w/snail. Maybe, high reving k20a2 w/jrsc or comptech would be a better power band. There are too many combinations you can look into to say which would be the best. Read, learn and think about what you want.

Turbo would be the easiest way to get DECENT mileage. Some of the turbo guys post pretty good mileage #'s around here. But the point other people were saying was you pay to play, and that means at the pump too.

But if you're looking for what other people want to do?
I'd like k24a2 w/an aftercooled jose mercado kit very moderately tuned ~320? :mbiggrin:

02TWSI
04-07-2011, 07:34 PM
We mention gas because you're going to be paying the difference in octane.

You CAN NOT run 87/89 octane on boosted or a swapped EP, bottom line....91 only.

Blah1219
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
You just got to think it this way. After putting all your hard paid money in any vehicle would you like to run high octane gas or some cheap junk gas in that engine? You want to make that part last so you would go that extra mile for it. No matter what you decide, maintain it while it lasts.

05 hatch
04-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I just supercharged my k20a3. It has some pretty good power now but you always want more and I always find myself driving a little faster than normal. But, it does get ok gas mileage when I stay out of it. If I could do it differently then I would turbo but I'm trying to keep it hidden from Cali cops.
P.S. if you want a fi car or swap and any tune you'll need to run 91 to optimize your power gains and aftermarket parts that you put on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk