PDA

View Full Version : Speedo issue.

STP03BlueSI
04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
So driving the past weekend home this happened.

http://Brut-photography.smugmug.com/gallery/3638088_QHYrc#1243668708_KSe6L-A-LB

It also happened today heading home from work.

Any ideas?

Car has 113k, stock clutch, I/H/E, and is needing prob a valve adjustment.

mitchlikesbikes
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM
my dad's old infiniti Q45 does this all the time haha! i think it's a loose wire behind the cluster so you could look into that. yours seems to jump a lot more though. but my first guess would be a loose wire/plug

STP03BlueSI
04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I am gonna check that out over the weekend. But I have never had that part of the dash apart :( I wonder if maybe my speed sensor is going.

mitchlikesbikes
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
yeah i've never had anything but the shifter console off so that would be a bit sketchy for me too haha. the speed sensor thing seems plausible too. there has to be someone on here who's had the same problem in their EP before.

Lucid Moments
04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
The gauge cluster is ridiculously easy to pull out. There is a trim ring that just pulls out and that reveals a couple of screws. Take that out and the cluster just pulls out.

codyep3
04-07-2011, 05:19 PM
when your speed sensor goes doesn't the ABS light pop up?

mitchlikesbikes
04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
The gauge cluster is ridiculously easy to pull out. There is a trim ring that just pulls out and that reveals a couple of screws. Take that out and the cluster just pulls out.

damn I had no idea haha. good to know

STP03BlueSI
04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Pulled the cluster yesterday, disconnected everything and cleaned the contacts....and driving home today...same thing.. :(

Twisted-X
04-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Have you thought to actually check the plug and wiring attached to the speed sensor? Maybe its loose/corroded.:shrug:

You'll probably have to remove your intake (if its in the way). It'll be on the top of the differential (the part of the trans where the axles go in).

STP03BlueSI
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Have you thought to actually check the plug and wiring attached to the speed sensor? Maybe its loose/corroded.:shrug:

You'll probably have to remove your intake (if its in the way). It'll be on the top of the differential (the part of the trans where the axles go in).

Yea gonna check that tomorrow. My Civic PDF wasnt working today, and was hoping someone would post the location.

THANKS!!

Black04si
04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
mine does that every now and then as well kinda annoying tell me what u find so i can take a look

STP03BlueSI
04-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Well checked it and no corrosion. I have heard it might be a rear ABS Speed sensor?!

I am gonna go to a advance auto to have them scan the hatch.

Twisted-X
04-14-2011, 02:20 PM
From what I can decipher from the manual, the VSS feeds both the CPU for the "gauge assembly" and the ECM off the same signal. You said you don't have a cell, right?

On page 22-65 of the manual they have VSS troubleshooting, but it looks like you have to have a special harness.

They do list the following first:
"Before testing, inspect the No. 4 (10A) and No. 10 (7.5A)
fuses in the under-dash fuse/relay box."

Here's how to check the harness at the cluster:

1. Disconnect the 22P connector "B" from the gauge assembly.

2. Connect the positive probe of a voltmeter to the
BLU/WHT wire and the negative probe to ground.

3. Slowly rotate one wheel with the other wheel
blocked.

Does voltage pulse from 0 to about 5 Volts or more?

YES - Replace the speedometer assembly.
NO - Repair open in the BLU/WHT wire between
the VSS and the speedometer.

STP03BlueSI
04-14-2011, 03:11 PM
I do have a CEL..had one since prob 2005 when i did the Header and Highflow kitty.

56chevydan
04-14-2011, 05:52 PM
I do have a CEL..had one since prob 2005 when i did the Header and Highflow kitty.
That's one of the problems with driving for an extended period of time with a check engine light on. There may be multiple problems now. You need to use a scan tool and see what trouble codes are stored. One of them may point to your speedometer problem.