PDA

View Full Version : Funky Fourth Gear

AKAahlecks
04-09-2011, 12:37 AM
my friend recently bought an '03 EP3 and the person who he bought it from claimed that everything is stock.

so hes running a stock tranny and shifting into 4th from 3rd (granny shifting) is a bit odd (it crunches). it kinda makes that sound where youre half way into gear and you let off the clutch, but only for a split second (it DOES get into gear though). i told him i think its the syncro. from 3rd to 4th i tried double clutching and it was slightly better. it still felt a bit rough. heel toe from 5th to 4th went in perfectly. double clutch from 5th to 4th was also rather smooth. its only when you granny shift from 3rd into 4th it has that issue.
anyone have an ida?

milkman
04-09-2011, 01:16 AM
I am a spammer and deserve to be flayed to within a inch of my life

talonXracer
04-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Change the MTF out first off, then check the clutch pedal throw and see if adding a little more throw helps, lengthen the pushrod raising the clutch pedal engagement point higher off the floor. If that helps alot then there is probably a clutch wear/geometery issue.

AKAahlecks
04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Change the MTF out first off, then check the clutch pedal throw and see if adding a little more throw helps, lengthen the pushrod raising the clutch pedal engagement point higher off the floor. If that helps alot then there is probably a clutch wear/geometery issue.

okay ill inform him and hopefully we can get to it asap.
thanks for the input

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-11-2011, 11:35 AM
okay ill inform him and hopefully we can get to it asap.
thanks for the input

that and...when i first got my ep 04 nhbp a few months ago

i had 2nd gear and 3rd gear problems sound similar to your friends problem

i changed tranny fluids...problem went away completely

i dont ever trust the owner before me even if its the dealership

i do all regular maintenance to a new used car always after buying it
or i make the dealership i got it from do it

aluminum shifter bushings helps shifting alot also, as well as a short shifter