PDA

View Full Version : best way to mount intercooler front mount

xep3tuner
04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Ok so im wondering what have you guys done to make your front mount sit as still as possible with as little drilling as possible :D

RedSiBaron
04-09-2011, 09:14 PM
for once im not sure ive seen this thread before...it would be nice to see a thread about ways to mount an intercooler, because just sitting here thinking about it for the first time (especially being someone whose never built a turbo car) can think of multiple ways of mounting one...bump bump i guess...

xep3tuner
04-09-2011, 09:19 PM
yup i'm trying to figure out what to do if i should just get 3 steel bars use one as the main support put it right under the intercooler and then use the other two as arms on each end and bolt them up to the frame. But this is time consuming. :/ As of right now my front mount is zip tied/rope tied..

RedSiBaron
04-09-2011, 10:06 PM
snap some photos and post it up, and ill give it a thought, i do a ton of fabrication and may be able to come up with something better...

heyvortek
04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
many put it on the rebar. drill a hole and bolt it. i dont know about the people without a rebar tho

j0000stin
04-10-2011, 01:19 AM
well greddy comes with brackets that screw into where the rebar should go, i made brackets like that as well

in the midst of putting the brackets on, i said fuck it and let it be held by zip ties and on the couplers.

Twisted-X
04-10-2011, 01:48 AM
for once im not sure ive seen this thread before...it would be nice to see a thread about ways to mount an intercooler, because just sitting here thinking about it for the first time (especially being someone whose never built a turbo car) can think of multiple ways of mounting one...bump bump i guess...

+1 for this. I've also been curious where you guys usually route the piping into/out of the engine bay, there isn't much room there.

j0000stin
04-10-2011, 01:55 AM
its usually routed through the drivers side. both are routed through the same spot a cai would go.

sleepy ep3
04-10-2011, 12:56 PM
You have to enlarge the hole on the drivers side. It needs to be about 6-8 inches in diameter to allow both pipes to come in from the same spot. I used the rebar. Drilled and mounted using custom "L" shaped brackets. Thing is solid, never had any issues. This was on a smaller intercooler, the newer, bigger one I'm getting I'm not sure about mounting that one yet.

xep3tuner
04-10-2011, 06:40 PM
well i had to modify my piping cut it here and there but i got all the pipes to fit perfectly without having to cut the frame at all, both go through driver side i got 2'25 piping. I used bunjee cords and strapped the crap out of my intercooler, its sold as can be. All thats left is my feed / return lines to hookup and finish tightening some bolts, then just injectors and set my tune and im good to go : ) wish me luck