PDA

View Full Version : quickie amp question

DjMacAtack
12-24-2002, 02:11 PM
i'm about to install an amp into my car...

i wanted to know if there were any holes from the dash to the engine bay that i can use to run my power line to the battery?

or do i hafta make a new hole?

thanx

FailureToStop
12-24-2002, 03:46 PM
A common car audio "trick" is to just punch a hole in the boot or rubber grommet of the stock wiring (the wiring that is going from the engine bay to the dash).

Another option on the EP is to use the wiring path for the dealer installed fog-lights. This is the way I would go when I finally get to adding an amp to the EP.

You don't need to drill a new hole.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/02si/foglights.pdf

DjMacAtack
12-25-2002, 03:27 PM
sorry guys... i got stuck again... where do i plug in the remote wire??? on the head unit

thanx again

2K2SilverSi
12-25-2002, 07:05 PM
since I dont think the stock headunit has a wire that will control the power of anything since there isnt a power antenna in our car you can plug the remote wire to the wire on the power outlet on the dash. That way your amp will turn on when you turn your car on and turn off when the car is off.

DjMacAtack
12-25-2002, 07:49 PM
thanks alot but in the end i walked to my uncles place and borrowed his voltage tester, i think i found 4 potential wires so i plugged it in to the one with the highest charge.

now all i need is a line level converter, hope it isnt that hard to grab.

BarracksSi
12-26-2002, 12:15 PM
Just a thought --

It's common practice to turn on the amp after turning on the head unit. The head often puts out a bit of a "snap" when it starts putting out a signal, and delaying the amplifier until after the signal enters will keep it from amplifying that "snap" and turning it into a big "thump".

Any rock musician worth his salt will always turn their amplifiers on after everything else, and turn them off as the first step to shutting down.

Let us know if you figure a way to make this happen, and/or if it's necessary at all.