PDA

View Full Version : Threaded bolt hole, GREAT...

tinman5
04-14-2011, 06:02 AM
So, I installed my shiny new ESMM inserts yesterday (great product by the way) during which I made a startling and very annoying discovery. The forward mount transmission side bolt came out stupid easy because all the damn threads came out with it. Has anybody successfully inserted a heli-coil in this particular location?

Space is very tight, so I am assuming the radiator and fans will need to be pulled. Should I attempt this or simply leave the mount secured at 2 points?

Stinking aluminum case....

bchaney
04-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Sounds like a lot of work but I'd do it. Or maybe its time to pull the motor and throw in a k24 :smile:

talonXracer
04-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Been there done that! LOL it is a bitch, but the Heli-coil will fix ya up.

You will probably need a drill with a compact right angle head with a short drill bit, that is what I used. There is plenty of room to get the tap in for the Heli-Coil insert.

tinman5
04-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Sounds like a lot of work but I'd do it. Or maybe its time to pull the motor and throw in a k24 :smile:

Well considering I am running an A2 right now, with pulleys, cams and software coming as the next round of upgrades I'm gonna hold off on the K24. For a year at least.

Thanks for the advice on the install of the heli-coil. Random question though, will I need to remove the mount, drill, insert coil, or is it possible to do so with the mount still on? Please say its possible to do with the mount still on...

RHCP0801
04-14-2011, 06:53 AM
what size tap is it talon? because when i was doing my swap one of those bolts cross threaded and i havent fixed it since. Ill just buy that tap size seperate so i can finally fix it and get new mounts

talonXracer
04-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Not sure what the thread pitch is without having the bolt in hand or researching it, but the bolt is a M12x35.

Just chasing the threads will not really fix your issue, the threads have been removed essentially when cross threaded(unless you just mucked up the first few threads)

TS, you will need to remove the mount, the new Heli-Coil insert will probably be a larger dia than the bolt hole in the mount.

RHCP0801
04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
yea the bolt isnt in all the way lol so its just the first few

tinman5
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
A little update. I took advantage of the fact I was replacing my radiator with a Mishimoto, and with basically most of the front end removed, it did not take very long at all to install the Heli-coil. I could not find a metric equivalent of the stock bolt so I went with a standard 1/2" fine thread insert. I believe 20 pitch.

Unfortunately during the replacement of the mount, the lower bolt hole decided to crap its threads as well. I went ahead and inserted a heli-coil there as well and simply torqued the bolts down to 25ft/lbs with a drop of blue lock tite to keep everything in there securely.

TransformedBG
04-24-2011, 03:06 PM
That sucks