PDA

View Full Version : Problem? I think so.. Rear rotors and brakes

iDom
04-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Alright well about 3-4 weeks ago I replaced all 4 rotors and all 4 brake pads.. Fronts are fine, rears don't seem to be contacting the rotor all the way.

NAPA rotors all around
Hawk HPS brakes all around

I followed all the appropriate procedures, I did the steps suggested to bed the rotors and pads together.. But after about a moth, still no contact towards the hub part of the rotor. Also, it feels as tho my e-brake is less effective.. I don't really know for sure to be honest, but it just feels different and not so much in a good way.
Here's a pic:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5110/5611551003_2235b2aee2.jpg

Also, I don't know if there's a correlation here.. But my friend has a 99 GSR and he just recently replaced all 4 of his rotors and brakes, used the same Hawk HPS pads, only different is he got the Brembo Blanks and he has the same exact thing going on with his.

UPDATE: 5/23/2011
(See post #17 & #18)
Also, on the rears, the front is getting full contact but when I took the calipers off to clean up the pins I noticed that the backside pad was only contacting the rotor halfway on the top part of the pad.

It rained last night so that's what the spotting is, it would come off as soon as I used the brakes.
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/386/photoai.jpg

talonXracer
04-14-2011, 05:40 PM
The wear looks as if the slider pins are frozen in position, they need to be removed, cleaned and greased, could be a bad slider pin boot.

02TWSI
04-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Talon pretty much nailed it on the head...had this happen with my HPS up front with a powerslot rotor.

My problem was the pin was stuck, and the car was pretty much always on the brake on the passenger side front.

iDom
04-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Hmm.. Alright. It's worth a shot. Any specific grease recommended?
I just found it bizarre that both of mine did this as well as my friends on his GSR

27rocks
04-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Did you also reset the e-brake lock pins on the Calipers? I had this issue as well and i even took everything apart and regressed it. Once i did that it still did it. Later found out i had to reset the e-brake pin in order to have the pads reset up against the rotor properly and finally had a e-brake again. Not sure if this would help but it's worth a shot. There is a step by step procedure in the helms manual if you want to check it out http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62770-EP3-helms-man.-for-free!

Or look in here.. this is when i finally figured out what was going on. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60027-Passenger-rear-pads-doesn-t-grab-with-Parking-Brake&highlight=rear+e-brake+problems

iDom
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Hmm I'll have to try that too if cleaning the pins don't work, but my brake does work well enough to the point where I can set it and not worry about it. I can go out and push on the car and it won't move.. But I'm definitely sure that I'm not getting all of my performance out of my rear brakes.. As shown

apexracing
04-17-2011, 10:31 AM
rear brakes get allot of road gunk and grime, they rust up allot easier too as a result. order new pins and boots. and clean the hell out of the slots that the pin goes into. be carful not to use too much lubricant as it will actually push the pin back out on its own. (there isnt a ton of room in there. and if too much grease is used it trys to come back out.)

iDom
04-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Alright, I looked up on majestichonda.com and the boots only came as a little package deal with some other parts for 20 bucks each caliper, that's 80 bucks just for some f'in boots.. Can I get the boots from any auto store like advanced or something?

I don't mind the price on the pins.

apexracing
04-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes I belive they are sold as a brake hardware kit through advance

27rocks
04-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Any progress on this?

iDom
04-20-2011, 09:04 PM
None yet :(
I need the weekend to give it a shot. Did your e-brake work at all? Cause mine does, but I could literally yank the e-brake and not lock up the rears while going moderately slow. Do you think that sounds more like I need to reset the e-brake lock pins or the pins need greased up?

27rocks
04-20-2011, 09:18 PM
No not really lol. I was able to push the car even with the handle all the way up. After i did the pin reset it went back to oem. It grabs excellent now with no problems. I also ended up getting new pads and rotors because my rotors got so screwed up from the pad only biting on the lower part of the rotor.
Not really sure... you are going to be under there anyways so just do both. The e-brake reset is really quick and easy so do it anyways.
Note: After i installed the new pads and rotors my e-brake was still not working properly, so that's when i started doing a little investigation and found out about the pin reset. Forgot the details about what causes this to happen.

Dbl-Htch
04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Just had new rotors, pads & lines put on 2 weeks ago, and now it looks like I'm having a similar problem, at least on the passenger side rear. (Hawk HPS pads also, wouldn't you know it!:mredface: ) Gonna do the e-brake pin reset & clean/ grease the slide pins this weekend... just have a few quick ?'s, would appreciate if someone could take a second to confirm a few things real quick...thanks!
-there's 2 caliper slides/pins per side, correct?
-I can take these out while leaving the caliper in place?
-what interior piece(s) do I need to remove exactly to get to the e-brake adjustment nut?
Sorry for the questions, I just like to make sure I have the bases covered as much as possible before I start on something...thanks again. :mcool:

27rocks
04-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Just had new rotors, pads & lines put on 2 weeks ago, and now it looks like I'm having a similar problem, at least on the passenger side rear. (Hawk HPS pads also, wouldn't you know it!:mredface: ) Gonna do the e-brake pin reset & clean/ grease the slide pins this weekend... just have a few quick ?'s, would appreciate if someone could take a second to confirm a few things real quick...thanks!
-there's 2 caliper slides/pins per side, correct?
-I can take these out while leaving the caliper in place?
-what interior piece(s) do I need to remove exactly to get to the e-brake adjustment nut?
Sorry for the questions, I just like to make sure I have the bases covered as much as possible before I start on something...thanks again. :mcool:

1. Correct, two pins per caliper.
2. You should be able to just unbolt the pins and still have the the rest of the caliper bolted on.
3. The only thing that you need to take off is the rear section plastic piece around the e-brake handle. There are two little screws on either side behind the front seats. Unscrew them and lift the e-handle up a bit. the plastic piece should be lifted from the rear (where the screws were) and pulled back towards the rear seats. That should separated it from the cup holder piece.. then you just have to get the handls through it. It's pretty easy

If you second guess yourself i posted a link a couple posts up where you can download the PDF file for the EP3 FSM and you can just find it on there with step by step instructions and pics.

Dbl-Htch
04-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks, I did download the manual already a few weeks back when I saw it posted, figured it would be a good thing to have anyway. I read your thread on how to reset the e-brake pins, it sounds pretty straightforward so I should be fine with that. Hopefully there'll be a few "success stories" to report on this by the end of the weekend! :mwink:

27rocks
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks, I did download the manual already a few weeks back when I saw it posted, figured it would be a good thing to have anyway. I read your thread on how to reset the e-brake pins, it sounds pretty straightforward so I should be fine with that. Hopefully there'll be a few "success stories" to report on this by the end of the weekend! :mwink:

Best of luck to you!

iDom
05-23-2011, 07:49 AM
*many moons later*

I took the calipers off and inspected all the pin boots, they were fine.. Also, cleaned up the pins because the previous owner used antisieze to "lube" them..
:mconfused:
Then I cleaned them up with a brush and regreased them and put them back in. It helped, but not enough.. I think I just need new calipers all around, but until I get another car to drive in the winter i'm not going to waste my time. My brakes definitely work but they could definitely be better.. No sense in spending money on a second set of used calipers and getting them all cleaned up and rebuilt just to drive it in shit OH weather.. Grrr..
:mad2:

iDom
05-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Also, on the rears, the front is getting full contact but when I took the calipers off to clean up the pins I noticed that the backside pad was only contacting the rotor halfway on the top part of the pad.

It rained last night so that's what the spotting is, it would come off as soon as I used the brakes.
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/386/photoai.jpg

27rocks
05-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Sometimes it could also be the pads themselves. If the backing on them is not built properly this is a very good chance of happening. I just find it odd that these new pads all of the sudden grab only half way. Just something to think about.

talonXracer
05-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Another thing to look into is the steel spring pad retainers/sliders, they will get dirty, corrosion can form under them and they get worn themselves. Make sure they are in decent shape. They should be replaced when you do a brake job, but are seldom included with the pads.

iDom
05-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes I think the best thing to do is just get a second set and just rebuild them.

Question:
Would the the RSX-S calipers in front or back bolt right up or is it not that easy?
Also, if not the RSX-S calipers, will the 04-05 front ep3 calipers bolt right up to mine?

27rocks
05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
They bolt right up!!! The rears are all the same with the exception of 4 and 5 lug differences. If you are 4 lug now, the RSX-s wont work because that means you would have to also get the RSX-s rotors which are 5 lug. If you are 5 lug everything will work.

iDom
05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Poo
:(