PDA

View Full Version : Lug nut woes...changing color due to heat?

DRP967
04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/images/t_18097.jpg

I have a set of Blox street series black aluminum forged lug nuts on my wheels. I recently noticed the front lugs are turning a chocolate/UPS brown in color. Is this due to heat? The back ones are are still nice and black with no signs of color change. Anyone else have issues with their aftermarket front lug nuts fading/changing color? Also while im on the topic, anybody know how to take the anodize off the lugnuts? I tried aircraft stripper but to no avail. (thinking about getting em to silver). Thanks

j0000stin
04-14-2011, 04:02 PM
its changing because of the sun. the sun is fading your nuts hahaha. prepare for the shrivel

DRP967
04-14-2011, 04:05 PM
its changing because of the sun. the sun is fading your nuts hahaha. prepare for the shrivle

:O

LoL this guy ^

But the back is still black? Only the fronts are turning chocolate brownish/bronze ish. My friend told me it was the heat from the brakes?

ep3jd
04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Did you clean them? Brake dust?? Lol

j0000stin
04-14-2011, 05:26 PM
:O

LoL this guy ^

But the back is still black? Only the fronts are turning chocolate brownish/bronze ish. My friend told me it was the heat from the brakes?

iono man? sorry? but my lugs are covered by the huge bbs center caps

Jukka
04-14-2011, 05:33 PM
id say brake dust most likely. I had a set of super dusty Hawk HPS when i first bought my car and was running on my matte black slips...within a week they turned ups/poo brown due to dust. I doubt that heat would change the colour in that way. Usually when heat is involved the paint will look faded or will start to get blueish.

DRP967
04-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Did you clean them? Brake dust?? Lol

iono man? sorry? but my lugs are covered by the huge bbs center caps

id say brake dust most likely. I had a set of super dusty Hawk HPS when i first bought my car and was running on my matte black slips...within a week they turned ups/poo brown due to dust. I doubt that heat would change the colour in that way. Usually when heat is involved the paint will look faded or will start to get blueish.

1. Yes sir, cant be brake dust. Car/wheels is washed twice a week/wheels taken off as well for cleaning (even the area behind my spokes is clean). Then quick detailed at the end of each day. I know it cant be dirt/dust...everything is clean.

2. Ballin :mwink:

3. Hmmm yeah thats what im inclined to think but as I mentioned I dont think it is. For one i am using the OEM brake pads which dont shed much compared to aftermarket and plus the wheels/lugs are always wiped down with QD and mf towels.

*Ill put the back ones in the front and the front ones in the back...lets see if the remaining black ones turn chocolate/brownie status.

P.S. If it was brake dust, wouldnt my wheels be browned out too? My wheels always look bright silver, even after a day of driving but of course Im always cleaning em at the end of the day but yeah figured the wheels are a bigger surface area....if my lugs are under attack from dust then the wheels should be no different no?

PatrickJamesYu
04-15-2011, 02:56 AM
If you can, post pics
I want to see what the color change is like

I don't think you can really remove a anodized finish..
Other than to sand it off. (to actually remove a tiny thin layer exposing into the aluminum/chromo or whatever material it is. Anodize is generally done on Aluminum though.. I think)

Tortoise
04-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Not sure what it could be if its not brakedust?! Get them jawns powdercoated!

RedSiBaron
04-15-2011, 04:54 AM
The anodizing is an electrolytic process, it actually oxidizes the surface inorder to microscopicly treat the surface, and create a hardened coating to protect the material. The color is simply a cosmetic dye effect. Most production aluminum products, especially extruded ones are anodized in a clear coating to protect them from corrosion, promote paint/coating adhesion, or prevent gauling for a machining process...

Id imagine that the heat is having a chemical effect on the dye used to make them black. Or you baked on brake dust. Are you using ceramic pads?

You can't strip anodizing since its actually a thickened hardened layer of the aluminum, but you can grind it off, which I wouldn't encourage, after you do that, the aluminum will most likely oxidize and/or pit like an engine block that goes through lots of heat cycling...

Buy replacement lugs in silver if you want them that way, and sell the ones you have now.

DRP967
04-15-2011, 05:37 AM
If you can, post pics
I want to see what the color change is like

I don't think you can really remove a anodized finish..
Other than to sand it off. (to actually remove a tiny thin layer exposing into the aluminum/chromo or whatever material it is. Anodize is generally done on Aluminum though.. I think)

Not sure what it could be if its not brakedust?! Get them jawns powdercoated!

The anodizing is an electrolytic process, it actually oxidizes the surface inorder to microscopicly treat the surface, and create a hardened coating to protect the material. The color is simply a cosmetic dye effect. Most production aluminum products, especially extruded ones are anodized in a clear coating to protect them from corrosion, promote paint/coating adhesion, or prevent gauling for a machining process...

Id imagine that the heat is having a chemical effect on the dye used to make them black. Or you baked on brake dust. Are you using ceramic pads?

You can't strip anodizing since its actually a thickened hardened layer of the aluminum, but you can grind it off, which I wouldn't encourage, after you do that, the aluminum will most likely oxidize and/or pit like an engine block that goes through lots of heat cycling...

Buy replacement lugs in silver if you want them that way, and sell the ones you have now.

1. Ill try to get some pics up. And yeah actually i saw on youtube a video on how to taker anodize off RC car parts ie. LCAs/shocktowers. Not the same thing as my lugs but the same in the respect they are all anodized aluminum. In the video they put the parts in a glass jar filled with water and use electricity and after 30-60 min with some agitation the anodized purple came off. Dont plan on doing that though lol, more work than what its worth imo.

2. Thought about that, but might be better just to get different lug nuts. :O

3. I have OEM brake pads and as I mentioned earlier my wheels/lugs are always cleaned so its probably just the heat doing so. The back lugs are still black then again they dont heat up like the front. And yeah I wouldnt wanna grind off the anodizing, but the electric bath is good for those who want to do that.

*As suggested, ill probably just buy some new lug nuts.

http://g35driver.com/forums/attachments/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/99599d1230002986-project-kics-r40-neo-chrome-lug-nuts-w-stock-wheels-will-they-fit-r40_neochro_1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2634641213_264124e62c.jpg

*Does anybody know if the the burnt finish on the Project Kics will fade? Now I know the material of the lugs is titanium and they are super heat treated to get that burnt ti look but the reason I ask is because I had a ti-burnt T1R shift knob that faded after a month of use. I would think its because of the constant rubbing/natural oils from my hand that faded it but figured that if the metal was burned to get that look...technically is not an anodizing/paint/powdercoating/etc than why would it fade? Obviously it did with my T1R/ARC knob and I know others who had suffered the same fate but what about the lug nuts? Your not always touching em in that respect and probably the constant heat down there will help retain the finish? lol

matt2002si
04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
*Does anybody know if the the burnt finish on the Project Kics will fade? Now I know the material of the lugs is titanium and they are super heat treated to get that burnt ti look but the reason I ask is because I had a ti-burnt T1R shift knob that faded after a month of use. I would think its because of the constant rubbing/natural oils from my hand that faded it but figured that if the metal was burned to get that look...technically is not an anodizing/paint/powdercoating/etc than why would it fade? Obviously it did with my T1R/ARC knob and I know others who had suffered the same fate but what about the lug nuts? Your not always touching em in that respect and probably the constant heat down there will help retain the finish? lol

Oh really now?

DRP967
04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Oh really now?

Que?

japarossa
04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
If you want to get rid of the anodized finish just get them bead blasted, thats how I remove the finish on aluminum AN fittings.

matt2002si
04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Que?
Contestar :

Project Kics are made of cold forged SCM-435(steel alloy) with A7075-T6(aluminium alloy) swivel seats

heyvortek
04-15-2011, 10:56 AM
who the hell would pay $350 for lug nuts....ok..i did...twice :)

ive had mines for a lil over a year. no fade so far

heyvortek
04-15-2011, 10:56 AM

matt2002si
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
<<< Guilty, I have two sets of Rays Formula lugs but if you paid $350 per set of Project Kics Neo-Chro lugs you got ripped twice.

DRP967
04-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Contestar :

Project Kics are made of cold forged SCM-435(steel alloy) with A7075-T6(aluminium alloy) swivel seats

Oh didnt know that, all this time thought there made of titanium.

DRP967
04-15-2011, 11:17 AM

<<< Guilty, I have two sets of Rays Formula lugs but if you paid $350 per set of Project Kics Neo-Chro lugs you got ripped twice.

1. People are always willing to pay a price...no matter what and how much. Whether its worth it or not...well that depends on the buyer. Thanks for the input, good thing they arent fading.

2. I have seen Rays lugs and they are nice. Sad part is the blue fades to teal, red to pink, and black to gray.

*And how much should I expect to pay for the kics neochro?....I looked online and looks like most places sell em for $230-$240 for a set of 20.

heyvortek
04-15-2011, 11:25 AM
sry bout the wrong price. too lazy to find the price. could get it coated at speedstar. but its kinda pricey too

matt2002si
04-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Oh didnt know that, all this time thought there made of titanium.
I'm guessing you didn't know that steel turns purty colours when heat/torch is applied to it? That's pretty much true for most metals except for the ones that have a very low melting point as they will succumb to the heat applied.

1. People are always willing to pay a price...no matter what and how much. Whether its worth it or not...well that depends on the buyer. Thanks for the input, good thing they arent fading.

2. I have seen Rays lugs and they are nice. Sad part is the blue fades to teal, red to pink, and black to gray.

*And how much should I expect to pay for the kics neochro?....I looked online and looks like most places sell em for $230-$240 for a set of 20.

I still shake my head when I look @ the lugs on my car even to this day after owning them for over a year.

That is the downfall of anodized parts.

That depends on if you want locks or not because obviously sets with locks will be more expensive then the ones w/o. I like to use this site as a quick reference for lugs.
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=L1

DRP967
04-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm guessing you didn't know that steel turns purty colours when heat/torch is applied to it? That's pretty much true for most metals except for the ones that have a very low melting point as they will succumb to the heat applied.

I still shake my head when I look @ the lugs on my car even to this day after owning them for over a year.

That is the downfall of anodized parts.

That depends on if you want locks or not because obviously sets with locks will be more expensive then the ones w/o. I like to use this site as a quick reference for lugs.
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=L1

Nah I did know that, if you saw my previous post I mentioned that titanium turns rainbowish when heat treated. Oh wait you meant steel, yeah didnt know that...only thought the heat thing worked on titanium to get that rainbow burnt look. So now I know it works on steel, wont work on aluminum though right cause its soft and will melt? And as for the wheel locks I dont even bother...i figured if the a thief wants my car/wheels/etc he rather boost it and take it apart somewhere safe/discreet then try to jack my wheels where my car is parked...potential of witnesses/getting caught etc. So I noticed anodized parts dont chip so much as they fade. Like the finish is pretty chip resistant but not so much fade resistant.

T_Virus
04-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Dude don't get the project kics r40 open end. Mine are starting to rust in the inner hole on the open end of the lug nut. If you are getting the project kics r40, I would recommend getting the Revo version.

DRP967
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Dude don't get the project kics r40 open end. Mine are starting to rust in the inner hole on the open end of the lug nut. If you are getting the project kics r40, I would recommend getting the Revo version.

Oh sh!t?? Thanks for the heads up. Damn thats dissappointing...:O

Whats the revo version?

T_Virus
04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/2916/unnameds.th.jpg (http://img576.imageshack.us/i/unnameds.jpg/)

These are the REVO version. They come with a color end cap. There is black, red and blue.

DRP967
04-16-2011, 05:52 AM
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/2916/unnameds.th.jpg (http://img576.imageshack.us/i/unnameds.jpg/)

These are the REVO version. They come with a color end cap. There is black, red and blue.

Thanks mang.

heyvortek
04-16-2011, 06:00 AM
thats y i got two sets...yea forgot about that rust on the inside. it looks ugly after when it rust :/

RedSiBaron
04-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Id get little black rubber caps that could be pushed down to the lug to keep water out of the lug nut to keep the lug from rusting...

Also guys, if you put some anti seize on the threads and end it will prevent it from rusting, and don't give me that shit about "I don't want the anti seize to cause my wheel to come off" because that wont happen if you torque your lug nuts to the specified 80 ft lbs...

heyvortek
04-16-2011, 11:29 AM
man i dont want the anti seize to cause my fake rims to come off......im kid. thanks for the advice. wish i knew that wayyy earlier

RedSiBaron
04-16-2011, 11:41 AM
man i dont want the anti seize to cause my fake rims to come off......im kid. thanks for the advice. wish i knew that wayyy earlier

Haha, id worry more about what happens to the car when the wheel comes off :mwink:

Id clean up the rust first on the lugs and lug nuts, maybe put rust neutralizer on the lugs first, let that sit a couple hours, then wipe off, anti seize it, then put your wheels back on.

Tortoise
04-18-2011, 03:56 AM
I jus got a set of muteki sr48 neochrome lugs for 114 shipped off ebay. Quality seems really good:)

T_Virus
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I jus got a set of muteki sr48 neochrome lugs for 114 shipped off ebay. Quality seems really good:)

I have a set of these too...They look way better than the project kics neo chromes but the only problem is that they do not come with a lock nut so be careful