PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Struts

TheBerrynator
04-14-2011, 08:08 PM
I just recently purchased a 02 EP3. I have been hearing a rattle in the front of the car for about a week now, and recently a friend, (who knows way more about cars than I) told me its most likely the front right struts. I have another friend who says he can help me replace them.

My question is, What should I look for? Advance Auto has struts ranging from $90-$300 ea. Are there any good struts (brands, whatever) that are not too pricey? Or should I just go order the mid range ones from Advance? I know nothing about working on cars outside of changing the oil, so any info will be helpful.

Also, is there anything else that bad struts can mess up? I know they can mess up the alignment and consequently tires, is there anything else it can mess up between now and the beginning of May? (when I'll have time to get them replaced)

Thanks for the Help!

R34L-St4tus
04-14-2011, 08:37 PM
if your picking up struts from a auto part store make sure they are kyb, usually the best brand to go with if not the other expensive ones. since your in the process of changing out the struts, think about what you wanna do first. have you ever thought about lowering it? if so look around before you buy new strut, it'll save you money and time in the long run. nothing bad should happen if your just a daily driver, it'll ride like shit but you'll make till MAY.

TheBerrynator
04-15-2011, 10:36 AM
ok, I dont want to lower it or anything, I guess the most important part is the brand, Most important is reliability, next is price, then performance in that order. Price is really important, I dont have too much money to play with, the only way I can afford it is by using the money I was going to put into the stereo. Any recommendations for where to get them from other than a place like Autozone?

Also, does anyone know of anything under $350 that is good?

waypastfast
04-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Check ebay.....something like this might appeal to you?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TOKICO-4-HP-STRUTS-SHOCKS-HONDA-02-CIVIC-Si-EP3-/400176350359?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2c5e8497

R34L-St4tus
04-17-2011, 01:25 AM
ok, I dont want to lower it or anything, I guess the most important part is the brand, Most important is reliability, next is price, then performance in that order. Price is really important, I dont have too much money to play with, the only way I can afford it is by using the money I was going to put into the stereo. Any recommendations for where to get them from other than a place like Autozone?

Also, does anyone know of anything under $350 that is good?

here is a link.
http://www.showstoppersusa.com/index.php?cPath=26_21_23&sort=2a&page=10

i would probably go with these tokico hp shocks or some koni yellow inserts, its close to your money budget kinda. i've heard good stuff about these two name brand. as long as you don't put shitty springs on them like ebay lowering springs or something like that. then, these two would be your best bet if you don't plan on lowering it or don't wanna waste a lot of money.

JoeyBones
04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Well, before replacing anything I'd diagnose a bit better.... Push down and release on the front corners of your car...does it bounce for a bit, or does it come up and stop and settle quickly? A worn or bad strut will cause the bad corner to be bouncy compared to a good corner, so you should probably check all 4. Typically I wouldn't associate a strut with a rattle. Check your tie rod ends and ball joints first. Look for torn boots and grease leaking out.

TheBerrynator
04-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, before replacing anything I'd diagnose a bit better.... Push down and release on the front corners of your car...does it bounce for a bit, or does it come up and stop and settle quickly? A worn or bad strut will cause the bad corner to be bouncy compared to a good corner, so you should probably check all 4. Typically I wouldn't associate a strut with a rattle. Check your tie rod ends and ball joints first. Look for torn boots and grease leaking out.
I'm pretty sure its the strut, The corner with the bad strut is softer and bounces more than the rest, also, when that side (the right) hits a bump or something, the car bounces more than it typically would, the suspension on that side is not near as tight as it used to be. A friend of mine who is a former mechanic also confirmed it.

JoeyBones
04-20-2011, 09:09 AM
ok cool...just didnt want you to have to be spending money needlessly! let us know if it fixes your problem