PDA

View Full Version : battery not charging?

AKEP
04-16-2011, 11:59 AM
hey i've been having issues lately where i can't keep my battery charged, and after i charge it on an external charger, the car will start, run for about 5 minutes, then act sporadically and die. i think im hearing the alternator turn on n off to try and charge the battery (all a/c - air is off) and i noticed the ground on the passenger mount is not connected (was late at night and i didn't get to look for it after i noticed it).

im guessing that ground has something to do with the charging system and thats why my car is eating my battery(s)?

for those that dont follow me, i did a k24a2 swap. #relevant

AKEP
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
it wasnt that ground wire, i went and attached it and still no charging action =[ possible the alternator just up and died at just 105k?

RedSiBaron
04-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Have you had the battery tested? Did you deep discharge the battery? That can fry the alternator...you could get the alternator tested as well.

bchaney
04-19-2011, 08:52 AM
How old is your battery? It should have a date sticker on it. Was it totally drained before you recharged it? Sometimes older batteries will no longer hold a charge if they've been fully drained. Advance Auto or Autozone can check it for you.

japarossa
04-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Did you check the battery voltage with the car running? Get it load tested, I have few batteries here that will take and hold a charge until there is a load on them and they die right away.

AKEP
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
i have a couple. i have my stock battery (no sound system or anything, all stock everything electrical) and i haven't had a problem with it dying or poor starts. i had it out of the car for a week while i did the swap and it either died on the table or died after i started it and the car ate the charge up. i picked up a braille battery from a member on here and it basically did the same, but i had the braille on a charger before i put it in.

i guess i'll have to get another alternator by the sounds of it. i never had BOTH battery AND alternator go out on my vehicles. i usually catch the battery dying before the alternator. *rageface* getting tired of wrenching this car. its only 6 years old =/

RedSiBaron
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
ya, but your batteries could have been fine and your alternator diodes went and it ate your battery(ies)

T_Virus
04-19-2011, 12:36 PM
What kind of braille battery did you get? I swear I will never ever get a braille battery again. Mine didn't last long too. And drains too fast especially every cold morning.

AKEP
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
man, and im not even saying braille is bad, i bought it to help and some clearance to the charge pipes on either side of the battery tray. -______- when its charged it started up fine. stupid (i hope) alternator...

bchaney
04-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Yea it sounds like the alternators shot. Take it out and get it tested @ Advance/Autozone. One or both of your batteries could still be good.

hkrayingboyz
04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
I think you might want to replace your altanator to see if that help. You might want to check the altanator (the wires inside if they are black or still ahve the copper color). If completely black, then need a new one, if still look pretty new, then probably something else.

Lucid Moments
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
First things first take the batteries and have them load tested. That is easy and its free so do that first. Once you do that then you need to start thinking about the alterntor.

T_Virus
04-19-2011, 09:22 PM
I had the braille 2015 and the only thing good about it is that it did save some weight. The first year was good and then after the first year it was getting drained quickly. I took it every month to Kragen to get it recharged. I have HID fogs and HID headlights. The dudes at kragen did a test and stated that it was totally drained. So they charged it and told me to come pick it up with another car, put it in my ep3 and drive back to get it load tested and test my alternator. Well, it turns out since it was fully charged, the test with the load was good. And the alternator test was good too. And then another month goes by and again it gets totally drained. This happens more than 6 or 7 months later and then I said forget it and took it in and trade it for a duralast gold battery with case on my end.