PDA

View Full Version : Koni Yellows: Dampening

mitchell_ep3
04-16-2011, 09:15 PM
hey guys, i just installed my koni yellow fronts... let me tell you, i'm completely happy with them... i thought it would stop the banging... which it did about 90% but its spring here and once the cracks in the roads are sealed there wont be such harsh road bumps.

i found that 360 degrees firmer from the softest setting is too stiff for my H&R sport springs... and all the way soft was way too soft... i'm sitting at 180 degrees from soft right now and the ride ir really nice!... i cant wait to do the choppy kyb rears.

anyways

for those who have adjustable koni yellow's, whats your stiffness set at and what springs are you using? what rides the best?

PatrickJamesYu
04-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Sweet man, I've been happy with mine ever since the install.

I have mine fullystiff with Ground Control coilover sleeves.
The full stiff is only to accommodate my stupid wheel fitment.
Hopefully by next month my wheel fitment will be more moderate and I can rock my Koni's at a better DD and handeling setting.

Hasbro
04-16-2011, 10:27 PM
If I may respectfully correct; it's damping, as in dampers.

GC sleeves with 8" Swift springs up front, 6" rear. They are thinner and allow for a bit more travel and are a very high quality spring. Damper has been redone at bottom for more travel also.

(next step is double adjustable race Konis with as light a spring - don't think it's been done yet on an EP/RSX - as I can get away with and built by Jose Mercado. So torsion bars will be used)

Cheep3
04-17-2011, 12:31 AM
I just installed my Koni yellows last weekend! I put them on with a new set of Hotchkis RSX spec springs. The springs are very similar to Eibach Prokit. The first few days driving on them I just left them adjusted exactly halfway firm/stiff to just get a feel for them. Medium seemed a little soft up front and a little firm in the rear but I liked it alot. I just set them another half turn firmer in the rear and am going to run them that way for Autocross event tomorrow (probably in the rain :rain: ). I can't wait to see how the do on the track!

mitchell_ep3
04-17-2011, 06:57 AM
went out for a cruise last night... i have a wierd rubber squeak from my drivers side... hopefully it goeas away

Andrew
04-17-2011, 10:17 PM
went out for a cruise last night... i have a wierd rubber squeak from my drivers side... hopefully it goeas away

that doesn't sound right? maybe you should get that checked out? possibly something loose and is moving around from the install?

PatrickJamesYu
04-17-2011, 11:22 PM
maybe just a creaky steering rack or something?

Somebody explained this to me before.. but I wasn't to sure but it might be your springs/top hats.
I say grease those.
I had some squeaking and creeking in my 'suspension' areas. Greasing the top hats did help a little, but my steering rack is still making noise.

mitchell_ep3
04-18-2011, 06:44 AM
i'll be taking them out this weekend regardless, i have a cracked shock cover on both sides(bump stops are still fine) so i have two on order that will be here for next week, and i punctured a tierod boot which is also on order.

i thought that it could be my springs. it is coming from right behind my gauge cluster, so its not the steering rack. its something up top.... i should grease between the rubber spring holder and the spring??

DRP967
04-18-2011, 07:34 AM
hey guys, i just installed my koni yellow fronts... let me tell you, i'm completely happy with them... i thought it would stop the banging... which it did about 90% but its spring here and once the cracks in the roads are sealed there wont be such harsh road bumps.

i found that 360 degrees firmer from the softest setting is too stiff for my H&R sport springs... and all the way soft was way too soft... i'm sitting at 180 degrees from soft right now and the ride ir really nice!... i cant wait to do the choppy kyb rears.

anyways

for those who have adjustable koni yellow's, whats your stiffness set at and what springs are you using? what rides the best?

Koni Yellow w/Ground Control sleeves.
*Set on full stiff, had em since 5k. Now over 160K with no issues.

RedSiBaron
04-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Konis plus progress racing springs...perfect firm but comfortable ride. The spring rates on the progress are slightly more than type r rates and like half an inch lower than type r...I think its just great for a street car.

I think I run 1 turn in the front and 2 turns in the rear...so that's 50% in the front 100% in the rear..it really helps the front take a set in the corners and with the addition of the type r sways the rotation is pretty decent with minimal understeer.

mitchell_ep3
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
i find it interesting that i couldnt find any bumpstops on the control arm... and that its right on the shock boot itself... i ordered 2 boots today and a new tie rod end, they'll be here wednesday so over easter long weekend i'll take the front end apart...AGAIN... and i'll try and diagnose my drivers side rubber squeak... its wierd that it never made the sound before... i dont THINK its the shock? i hope not.

oh and a big THANK YOU goes out to ephatch.. my axle popped out and thanks to the webiste it just took a little bit of twisting the hub and giving a good push to snap it back in place.

Cheep3
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Wow, I didn't really think about until I read your post but when I put my Konis on I went without the front boots altogether. My springs came with Polyurethane bump stops so I just used those and forgot about the boots which I had already previously cut one of the rings out of. Do you guys with Konis use the boot thing up front or not??

mitchell_ep3
04-18-2011, 09:16 PM
as long as you have SOMETHING there to act as a bump stop... but the question about the rubber boot covering, i couldnt tell you. i mean, on my quad i have no rubber boot on my suspension, and its subjected to a lot more mud and dust etc...

Cheep3
04-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks, yeah I should be fine without the boots at least for the summer. As for your squeak I doubt it's the shock. You might try some silicone spray or some other "clean" lube to see if that makes a difference before you tear things down again. Soak em good and it might help you locate where it's coming from as well. If you do tear them down again, don't forget to tie or wire the hell out of you hub to keep the axle from coming out again. I had both of mine come out the first time I had mine apart - never again!

mitchell_ep3
04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
actually, the axle popping out wasnt too bad.. i can live with it happening again... i'm starting to zone in on the upper rubber spring perch... i actually think i put it on a whole 180 degrees backwards, causing it to jam against the strut tower. and when you hit a bump and your spring compresses, it actually unwinds/lenghtens where it makes contact to the perches.... i also think this is the case bacause when i turn also it makes a nice rubber squeak... that upper spring mount could be jammed.