PDA

View Full Version : boost gauge problem

xep3tuner
04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Okay so i got my boost gauge and blow off valve tee'd off my air assist valve on the side where it goes to the intake. Problem is it only reads vacuum when my car is warming up, after that i get no boost, or vacuum readings. Is this the correct place to tee it off or is there another place?

japarossa
04-17-2011, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't tap into the brake booster line, alot of people do it with success but I like to keep the brakes seperate. I just took the cover off the bottom if the intake and drilled it out for a barb fitting.

makavelibranded
04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Okay so i got my boost gauge and blow off valve tee'd off my air assist valve on the side where it goes to the intake. Problem is it only reads vacuum when my car is warming up, after that i get no boost, or vacuum readings. Is this the correct place to tee it off or is there another place?

ya thats not the right thing to tee off of,.. I have that plugged and guardian did the install on my kit and he went with the brake booster

USAF EP3
04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Well you won't be reading boost because that valve only lets air in when the engine is cold to warm it up faster. It uses a wax element to open the valve, but once the coolant reaches a certain temperature the valve closes so it doesn't create a vacuum leak.

I would recommend drilling into your manifold, go to ACE Hardware and get yourself a brass 1/8 fitting with a nipple on the other end. Run a vacuum line from there to your boost gauge.

Guardian
04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
That is still a vac/boost source all the time, it is still hooked up to the im. When the car is cold that valve is open and sucks in extra air to warm the car faster. When its warm valve is closed but hose still sees vac/boost since it hooked to a vac source on im.

I have a dedicated vac source for everything. Drilled and tapped im.

Beside that brake booster line is your best option. NO it will not effect your brake assist/power brakes. I think ppl think messing with that line will make your brakes not work. You can take the vac line off and your brakes will work, u just won't have power brakes.

xep3tuner
04-19-2011, 07:56 PM
i think my gauge might be the problem, because i got a 10'' smallest vacuum hose i could find and i remembered that on the bottom of my skunk2 im there were 2 small ports near the tb that i had blocked off when i installed it, those were for vacuum sources i'm guessing.. So today i tried to hook my boost gauge up to on of those ports and i was getting only -5 to 0 vacuum when i got on it and felt like i was having a vacuum leak the car kind of sputtered. So i'm guessing either the vacuum line is not secured enough to the boost gauge or the boost gauge itself is not functioning right.

USAF EP3
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
That is still a vac/boost source all the time, it is still hooked up to the im. When the car is cold that valve is open and sucks in extra air to warm the car faster. When its warm valve is closed but hose still sees vac/boost since it hooked to a vac source on im.

I have a dedicated vac source for everything. Drilled and tapped im.

Beside that brake booster line is your best option. NO it will not effect your brake assist/power brakes. I think ppl think messing with that line will make your brakes not work. You can take the vac line off and your brakes will work, u just won't have power brakes.

Sorry, I thought he might have had it hooked up to the section between the valve and the intake.

Guardian
04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Ahh he did say to intake, yeah op that side will never see boost and will close after it's warm.
If you use that you need to be on valve to intake MANIFOLD side. The U shape hose.

xep3tuner
04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
ok so it will work if i do it on the side between the intake manifold and the valve?

Guardian
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Yes

xep3tuner
04-23-2011, 08:47 PM
good i got it fixed :) is it normal to read 20 vacuum at idle

japarossa
04-23-2011, 10:09 PM
yes

TransformedBG
04-24-2011, 03:03 PM
I just ran mine off the intake mani... no problems