PDA

View Full Version : 03 EP3 Hard to Downshift From 5th to 4th.

DEEPfrom1
04-17-2011, 07:29 PM
I was test driving an 03 si with 137k on it. Only problem I noticed was when in 5th it was hard to down shift to 4th. It felt like the shift would go into a notch (wouldn't grind or anything) then had to put it in neutral and then shift to 4th. Any info on this, perhaps stretched cables?

Looking for some input before I buy.All other gears felt great and it was only on the downshift from 5 to 4.

I appreciate the input!

gamma6
04-17-2011, 07:36 PM
dont know much about this but thats how mine feels in regular shifting but it doesnt feel hard, its kinda hard to explain ive gotten used to it and it seems normal to me ive had that ever since i bought my ep, although my girls type s doesnt so i figured it was a ep3 thing... good luck with the buy

mitchlikesbikes
04-17-2011, 07:37 PM
sometimes i kick my car into neutral and coast on hills and it takes like 2 tries to put it down into fourth. my tranny is basically mint too so it could just be the design of our shift mech that makes it not wanna go into fourth from an angle. i wouldn't be worried about it though unless it was grinding or like HARD to get into fourth.

DEEPfrom1
04-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Its like its hard to find 4th gear. I go from 5th down to what seems like 4th but is acutally nothing then I have to push it left and up into neutral, then I can go to 4 th. I was wondering if this was common issue or if these trans are common for having problems.

gamma6
04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
just re-read ur post...
mine feels like i have to push (not force it in) a bit to get it in gear, it feels normal like i said, but more like a.... aaahhh cant find the words! but it seems like its a notch that keeps it in gear?
A yr ago my tranny wouldnt let me shift, it was real hard to get it in gear and all of a sudden one day it just was impossible and a piece broke in my clutch... check this thread out...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?63370-So-look-what-happened-to-my-clutch...kinda-weird

DEEPfrom1
04-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up. ughh, kind of makes me want to stay away. I don't need a second project car!

mitchlikesbikes
04-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up. ughh, kind of makes me want to stay away. I don't need a second project car!

it all depends on the previous owner. just because it's a little tough to get into fourth while downshifting doesn't necessarily mean the whole car is a piece of shit. as long as everything on the test drive seemed okay aside from that the chances of anything else bad happening are slim. these cars are really reliable.