PDA

View Full Version : Tein Spring Drop Pictures

bigo711
04-18-2011, 01:10 AM
I know there is a drop picture thread, but most photos there are dead!
Can someone please post pix of their car with tein springs?
Thinking of getting one.
Thanks.

RedSiBaron
04-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Don't get them.

If you actually get the ep3 spec tein s-tech springs, you'll have a 3 finger wheel gap, which is still higher than the suspension geometry was designed for.

If you see pics of tein stechs and the fender is right at the tire those are not ep3 springs, they are the EM2 springs and are WAY TOO SOFT for the ep3 and are only low because the ep3 is too heavy and is sagging them. They end up with a uncomfortable ride, that handles like a turd. That's because the spring rates are less than the stock ep springs.

The reason for this is because tein has 2 ways of searching in their computer for spring application cross reference. If they search one way, the ep3 springs come up for the ep, if they search a different way the em2 springs come up for the ep. My guess is because back in 02 tein was selling the em2 springs for the ep3 in order to get something to market since they didn't have a spring ready for the ep3. This as a result left some residual part numbers in their product search.

I found this out when I called to cross reference the s techs I used to run years ago because soprano21 had them and his car rode way higher, and my car just didn't feel right. I wrote down the numbers and called tein, and their representative and I searched, they came up for the ep, I told him why I was calling and he said "wait, let me try a different search" and they came up for the em2.

So unless you want a car that rides high and stiff or rides dangerously soft but low, dont buy the teins.

The progress racing lowering springs are half the price, same spring rate as the ep3 spec tein s techs minus 15lbs in the rear, and lower the car to almost the ride height of an ep with the em2 tein s-techs, but just higher enough to not scrape on stuff like with the em2 springs...

Ill post up my comparison of em2 and ep3 spec springs on an ep later, I can't now because im on my phone...

(Buy progress springs, they are awesome if you are in the market for teins)

lucky7
04-18-2011, 08:25 AM
this is the car i'm buying in 2 weeks. it has S-techs. they're getting replaced with racelands asap.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/danerm3/IMG_7489.jpg

not low at all. i drove the car for like 15 minutes, and they're pretty soft. as soft as i'd expect OEM to be, yet slightly lower. as soon as i buy coils, the springs will be in the FS section for cheap.

sorry, that's the only picture i have that shows the drop.

RedSiBaron
04-18-2011, 09:43 AM
What dampeners are on it? S techs are not super soft for the ep3 spec...

Racelands will be worse than s techs with good dampening paired with them

soloep3
04-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I bought my ep with s techs on it and installed my racelands a Cole of weeks ago.... the stock struts were blown, and I had type s rims on it, my front wheel had about a one finger gap, and one and half in the rear with jus the springs.... now the racelands r on it, they , obviously lower !!

RedSiBaron
04-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Here is a comparison of ep3 tein stechs (black car) and the em2 stechs on my white ep circa 2008

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/213876-2/wheel+gap+comparison.jpg

lucky7
04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
What dampeners are on it? S techs are not super soft for the ep3 spec...

Racelands will be worse than s techs with good dampening paired with them

i'm assuming you're referring to my picture. i believe it's on stock shocks, although i couldn't tell you for sure. i don't own the car yet, and i've only driven it once. :lol: from that other photo though, i'd run the EM2 S techs. thats a much better looking drop. i wonder if there is a difference in length, rate, or both?

RedSiBaron
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
i'm assuming you're referring to my picture. i believe it's on stock shocks, although i couldn't tell you for sure. i don't own the car yet, and i've only driven it once. :lol: from that other photo though, i'd run the EM2 S techs. thats a much better looking drop. i wonder if there is a difference in length, rate, or both?

Read my first post in this thread, I already pointed out the difference...running em2 stechs on an ep is a bad idea, if you want that look with. Ep3 stiffer stech rates you run progress racing springs

PatrickJamesYu
04-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Why would you want to run the em2 knowing it sucks for our cars in all ways?
Other than sagging and being loww.
If you want lowness get Racelands or any ebay coilover thing out there

tht1guy
04-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I have a set of eibach sportline springs on stock shocks. If you wanna buy them. I also have stock springs if you need those

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using my God Damn Thumbs...

02TWSI
04-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Racelands are great for slamming your car.

ep3colin
04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
s techs were too soft IMO when i had them, they were ep3 spec too

running racelands now and they are also soft, not great for track but good on the daily