PDA

View Full Version : Oil change?

SiBoosting11
04-20-2011, 09:57 AM
i want to change the type of oil i use, i wanted to switch to royal purple. Before i do so i heard that there are some specifics you need to do before changing the type of oil. Is this true? and how many people like royal purple?

T_Virus
04-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Besides what you like, what does your engine like? I went from Mobil 1 to RP because M1 burned to quick for me after 3000 miles. After a oil check, it was sitting in the middle on the dip stick between the top & bottom hole. Ever since I switched to RP, it doesn't burn anymore and after 5000 miles, it still shows the same measurement up to the top hole of the dip stick same as the first time I put it in.

This is my experience with my motor though. Everyone has different experiences with different brands.

makavelibranded
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Yep and all engines arent the same so the results will vary, aswell as what weight you use. Ive used castrol, and moblie one. Mobile One burns alittle much, or i have a tiny leak im sure, but no problem using synthetic 10-30 with the turbo on. Cant say much about Castrol it was before I was more mechanic savey. Ive heard plenty of good things about the Royal Purple ill probable get some next time to try it.

Twisted-X
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
I had a problem with warm start-up chatter when I used Mobil 1 (both 0w30 and 5w30). I don't know if it was detonation or lack of oil pressure or what. Since I switched to Amsoil 5w30 full synthetic I haven't had a problem. Like everybody else has said, pick what makes your engine happy. :mbiggrin:

MBaG
04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Besides what you like, what does your engine like? I went from Mobil 1 to RP because M1 burned to quick for me after 3000 miles. After a oil check, it was sitting in the middle on the dip stick between the top & bottom hole. Ever since I switched to RP, it doesn't burn anymore and after 5000 miles, it still shows the same measurement up to the top hole of the dip stick same as the first time I put it in.

This is my experience with my motor though. Everyone has different experiences with different brands.

My car ate through Mobil1 real quick. My last oil change, I switched to RP.. and it still burns just like Mobil1. But the car does sound a lot smoother and runs smoother as well (might be in my head due to the RP hype, but whatever).

bizzle
04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
My car eats through Mobile1. It's the only oil I've used in the car so far so it could just be the car. I am switching to Castrol on my next change.