PDA

View Full Version : secondary O2 sensor vs catalytic converter

Domo-kun
04-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a 420 error code on my EP3. I'm trying to find out if there's a chance I just need a new secondary O2 sensor, rather than a whole new catalytic converter. Does the secondary sensor have its own error code, or does it share a 420?

So far, I've heard both theories. Some say a new sensor fixed the code, some insist it can only be fixed with a new cat.

My smog test is due in a month, and I don't have a thousand bucks for a new OEM cat (which is apparently my only option), and so I'm starting to panic. Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS - I already have a similar thread going, which ended with me replacing the primary O2 sensor, but figured it would be good to start a fresh topic. So I know I don't need a primary sensor! Here's that link: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62239-help-with-my-car)

willy_akino
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
is this a joke?? hahaha cuz its 420

tunner2307
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes this is what happend to me. Change your secondary 02 sensor and you will be all good.

Domo-kun
04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
is this a joke?? hahaha cuz its 420

Ha, I thought of that too. It is indeed 4/20 (and I am indeed celebrating :mcool: )

But no, not a joke. Need advice here.

Domo-kun
04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes this is what happend to me. Change your secondary 02 sensor and you will be all good.

I'm glad to read this. So this is a definite, confirmed case of a 420 code being fixed with a secondary sensor?