PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for lowering

bizzle
04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I am looking to lower my 05 and I am looking for the best budget set up that doesn't bounce all over the road. The car is a daily driver only, no autox or anything like that so super high performance is not needed. I just need something reliable and lower, the 4x4 look is getting old. Recommendations?

RedSiBaron
04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Please use the search, there is a lot of information on this topic...

My suggestion is progress racing lowering springs, not too low, not too stiff, great on the street and are about 185 shipped from ssr/showstoppers/xxxracing

carrito
04-21-2011, 09:26 AM
raceland ftw!

G-MaC!
05-02-2011, 06:06 PM
raceland ftw!

If you like scraping and bouncing all over the place. One thing, don't buy the cheapest thing around. Don't cheap out on something your car is riding on.

Tokin_Buds
05-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I like my Racelands a lot and so do most people who have ridden in my car who own lowered cars, they can't believe how much I paid for them and since I bought them they have doubled in price just like many people speculated.

Michael SK
05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Depends on the mod you are looking for. If you want to upgrade the schocks or only change the springs. Progress Lowering Springs are awesome. If you need to upgrade the schocks, do it with Tein, Megan Racing or D2 Racing.

whatsvtec
05-02-2011, 09:02 PM
For Daily jaunt, True-Spirited or Serious set-up?

No matter what, you'll need some Roll Center Adjust ball joints and aftermarket camber kits.
(to do it right)

G-MaC!
05-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Lots of people seem to love their Racelands, just not my thing I guess.

RedSiBaron
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
For Daily jaunt, True-Spirited or Serious set-up?

No matter what, you'll need some Roll Center Adjust ball joints and aftermarket camber kits.
(to do it right)

you dont need roll center adjusters, but camber kits, yes

good dampening would be koni, better than most coilovers...

Andrew
05-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Depends on the mod you are looking for. If you want to upgrade the schocks or only change the springs. Progress Lowering Springs are awesome. If you need to upgrade the schocks, do it with Tein, Megan Racing or D2 Racing.

he is correct! figure out what you want most out of your DD function or form wise then decide. i would definetely get racelands if i didnt pick up my megans for $200

bizzle
05-03-2011, 04:15 AM
I already have rear camber kit installed. It's just for daily driving. I drive 90 miles a day for work so I don't want it super bouncy or super stiff. I am probably going to have to go with just springs because I don't want to spend a ton and it looks like I need to replace the front LCA bushings as well (starting to crack). Now I just need to find a shop to do the work for a reasonable amount of money. I want to lower about 1", which means I might have to go with more than just springs because they are all more than 1". The roads I drive on are fairly shitty so I am not trying to completely bone up the underside of my car and scrape on every bump on the road.

G-MaC!
05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
If you're looking to lower it about an inch you should check out the A-Spec route if you have not already, a function over form setup.

bizzle
05-09-2011, 06:27 PM
If you're looking to lower it about an inch you should check out the A-Spec route if you have not already, a function over form setup.

The whole grinding parts situation scares me away.

Calvinep3
05-09-2011, 07:33 PM
progress springs and some shocks and you will definitely be satisfied.

MBaG
05-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I already have rear camber kit installed. It's just for daily driving. I drive 90 miles a day for work so I don't want it super bouncy or super stiff. I am probably going to have to go with just springs because I don't want to spend a ton and it looks like I need to replace the front LCA bushings as well (starting to crack). Now I just need to find a shop to do the work for a reasonable amount of money. I want to lower about 1", which means I might have to go with more than just springs because they are all more than 1". The roads I drive on are fairly shitty so I am not trying to completely bone up the underside of my car and scrape on every bump on the road.

Ever thought about doing the labor yourself? Could save yourself a couple bills. Plus it's always fun installing your own parts (unless you do it wrong, and @#$@ happens).

Zzyzx
05-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Remember this list, as it goes from most infuential to least in regards to your cars handling.

1. Driver.
2. Tires
3. Alignment
4. Dampers
5. Springs & anti-roll bars
6. suspension bushings
7. chassis bracing

That being said, if you get lowering springs then you absolutely should have a good set of dampers to go with them. In your case, Bilstiens should work great (with your standard lowering springs).

Otherwise, what is your alignment set to?

bizzle
05-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Remember this list, as it goes from most infuential to least in regards to your cars handling.

1. Driver.
2. Tires
3. Alignment
4. Dampers
5. Springs & anti-roll bars
6. suspension bushings
7. chassis bracing

That being said, if you get lowering springs then you absolutely should have a good set of dampers to go with them. In your case, Bilstiens should work great (with your standard lowering springs).

Otherwise, what is your alignment set to?

Alignment is set to stock specs.

Ever thought about doing the labor yourself? Could save yourself a couple bills. Plus it's always fun installing your own parts (unless you do it wrong, and @#$@ happens).
Eh, don't want to risk screwing it up unless I have someone with me who knows what they are doing, which is hard because I can only do this stuff on Sundays and Mondays. I am actually probably going to hold off now because the cost of springs and dampers, I might as well just go all out.

Zzyzx
05-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Alignment is set to stock specs.

Which is a problem if you are trying to get the car to handle well.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?63243-High-Performance-Street-Alignments.

ep3beginner
05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
go wtih function form coilovers i love the way they ride on my daily driver!

SamuraiSi
05-20-2011, 12:07 PM
What do you guys think about these?

http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=467&catid=44

I tried the search but didn't find anything about them, only about their coilovers, so I thought this would be a good place to ask. I'm also looking replace my springs. I currently have aftermarket ones that came with the car. The thing is I don't know what kind they are. I did check and the only thing I found was a number on the side of the springs and I tried to search online for it but found nothing.

Or these: http://www.hopupracing.com/d2rahocilosp.html

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-04-2011, 10:09 PM
The whole grinding parts situation scares me away.

i know its kinda late of a reply...but if you read through the thread you can replace that bushing with ep3 ones so theres no grinding involved.
i actually have some of those bushings for sale because i didnt have the correct tools to do the bushings myself.

i wish i couldve left the car sitting there in order to do the bushings also but i needed the car to drive the next day so i resorted to grinding it
so now i have those bushings for sale.