PDA

View Full Version : Official Lug Nut Picture & Discussion Thread (H-T inspired)

DRP967
04-21-2011, 01:58 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/v5b95x.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/Ep3Tyler/Cars/002-4.jpg

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2333/img0038ks.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7142/img1671v.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2469/3928288550_738dfc89c7_b.jpg

Figured we had enough wheel threads, lets have a thread for the often overlooked but very vital part to the car's wheel/tire/suspension area. Inspired by the official lug nut thread on Honda-Tech, thought id make this thread for everyone to show off their lug nuts. When you post a close up of your nuts, please include what brand/model they are, the material they are made of, cost, durability, etc. Ill be posting my nuts soon. Now for the discussion part, for those in the know...I have a set of Blox Street Series forged aluminum lug nuts (extended open end)...my main concern with these nuts were the material they were made of, aluminum. Granted they are forged, anyone have experience with their nuts made of aluminum stripping? Now I know one shouldnt use an impact gun on these things but often the impact gun is used by lazy techs at the shop who wont take the time to tighten/loosen them by hand. Ive always tipped off the dude working on my car to insure he would do the deed by hand. Anyways post up your pics and discuss.

DRP967
04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
http://throwdownperformance.com/images/mutekilugsblack.jpg

Also anyone have experience with Muteki lug nuts? I wanna swap out my Blox lug for these. I just have better peace of mind with steel lug nuts vs. aluminum. Now I heard good things about Muteki lugs, but not so much positive about the key. Supposedly the key is easily stripped? Maybe its cause its a thin wall socket? Anyways those with Muteki lug nuts please tell me your experience with em, good or bad. Thanks

Jukka
04-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Only lugs nuts I've used on my cars have been either Gorilla (cuz im cheap and they work), McGaurd(for lock nuts) or Skunk2. The skunks were nice, very light, only downside to them was 1. no lock, 2.since they were forged, they got scuffed up pretty easily. Still good lug nuts either way.

Right now with my summers I'm runnign just a set of black gorilla spline drives and black mcgaurd lock nuts.

DRP967
04-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Only lugs nuts I've used on my cars have been either Gorilla (cuz im cheap and they work), McGaurd(for lock nuts) or Skunk2. The skunks were nice, very light, only downside to them was 1. no lock, 2.since they were forged, they got scuffed up pretty easily. Still good lug nuts either way.

Right now with my summers I'm runnign just a set of black gorilla spline drives and black mcgaurd lock nuts.

You know I have read a lot about the Gorilla/McGard brand and the critical reception on em has always been 50/50....I dont know what to think. Half of the people say they are bad, strip, etc. The other half swear by em and say they are built tough and can wistand the worst of the worst condition...im like well which is it? Are these lug nuts bad or good. You had a good experience with em and thats good, but for every positive I read about em I read a negative. I am also thinking about running the Gorilla brand of lug nuts. Im over the pricy blinging nuts...well with the exception of Project Kics. All i need is a durable, strong, steel, black lug nut like the Muteki/McGard/Gorilla...if only I could know for sure since as I mentioned some say they are solid while others say they are weak.

lucky7
04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
my old car (S14). Kic's R40's.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1258/1053061686_06a6404b9e_z.jpg

DRP967
04-21-2011, 05:02 PM
^
Nice lug nuts, wheel, brakes, everything.

So do you still have the lug nuts? How did they hold up? Is the finish still good? (neochro color still true)?\

Did you use impact/power tool on em? Or was it hand tighten/loosen?

lucky7
04-21-2011, 07:07 PM
the finish never wore off, but they dented easy. lol, you could see little impressions on them. i got lazy and used an impact.
sold it last summer to help fund school.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3534783634_a225504a74_b.jpg

DRP967
04-21-2011, 09:13 PM
^ lovely ride man.

Dented? Damn lol

JaydmEp3
04-21-2011, 10:35 PM
i have muteki lugnuts. havent had any problems with my key tho. but finish does come off. mine were blue and now semi chrome. so quality of paint is cheap. but overall least there all lockng lug nuts. props to your neo chrome ones tho. stand out but look really good.

Tortoise
04-22-2011, 02:34 AM
My sister just got me a set of muteki sr48 open ended neochrome lugs. I really like the looks of them and they feel very solid. They were only 115 bucks too which isnt bad compared to the price of all other neochrome nuts. I havent put them on my car yet because its in the middle of a swap but if i ever finish it ill post them up. Also id stay away from aluminum lugs. My buddy bought a cheap set from the local speedshop for his mugen nr's i think theyre called. But they all ended up stripping and one of his wheels almost came off while he was driving.

DRP967
04-22-2011, 06:43 AM
i have muteki lugnuts. havent had any problems with my key tho. but finish does come off. mine were blue and now semi chrome. so quality of paint is cheap. but overall least there all lockng lug nuts. props to your neo chrome ones tho. stand out but look really good.

My sister just got me a set of muteki sr48 open ended neochrome lugs. I really like the looks of them and they feel very solid. They were only 115 bucks too which isnt bad compared to the price of all other neochrome nuts. I havent put them on my car yet because its in the middle of a swap but if i ever finish it ill post them up. Also id stay away from aluminum lugs. My buddy bought a cheap set from the local speedshop for his mugen nr's i think theyre called. But they all ended up stripping and one of his wheels almost came off while he was driving.

1. I just picked some short/close end black Muteki lug nuts yesterday. Put em on and no chippage...for some reason the black is durable as hell finish wise. I know this cause my my friend picked up the blue ones yesterday and as soon as he put a socket to em...the blue color started to chip. (We put our lugs on at the same time at his house). I even took the socket/key and rubbed it back and forth one of my black lugs...the finish just did not chip lol. We tried the same on his blue lug and it chipped like a mofo.

2. Hmmm yeah I think id rather think to steel lugs or titanium (but titanium lugs is $$$).

However I did run Blox street series forged aluminum lug nuts for the longest time with no issues...maybe its cause we never used an impact gun on em so thats why they didnt strip.

http://bsp-imports.com/zencart/images/bloxblacknut.jpg

*Taken from Blox's website*

BLOX Racing offers forged AL7075 magnesium alloy lug nuts. Each lug nut is forged, then CNC-machined to specifications.

Forged AL7075 lug nuts are perfect for both performance and show enthusiasts. Each feature knurled ends for better grip and are anodized for durability and show quality appeal. For maximum results, use with BLOX Racing Extended Wheels Studs.

Available in 12x1.5 and 12x1.25 thread pitch patterns.

So I guess they are not 100% aluminum, but forged AL7075 magnesium alloy so that means they are stronger than full aluminum nuts?

mitchell_ep3
04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
http://throwdownperformance.com/images/mutekilugsblack.jpg

Also anyone have experience with Muteki lug nuts? I wanna swap out my Blox lug for these. I just have better peace of mind with steel lug nuts vs. aluminum. Now I heard good things about Muteki lugs, but not so much positive about the key. Supposedly the key is easily stripped? Maybe its cause its a thin wall socket? Anyways those with Muteki lug nuts please tell me your experience with em, good or bad. Thanks

i"m been running those since 2007, sold the old car with them, and bought a new set... no complaints whatsoever... i have the chrome ones, 3 years and no rust.

DRP967
04-22-2011, 08:33 AM
mitchell_ep3, thats great to hear. I just had em for a day lol but so far but so good.

Now you didnt have any issues with the key socket in terms of breaking/stripping? Also when you had em, was an impact gun used on em for tightening/loosening or was everything done by hand?

ShadowEP3
04-22-2011, 08:37 AM
i had a set of Muteki SR48s, then bought some Buddy Club P1 Racing lug nuts from SHG..lightest lug nuts ive ever held.

gonna buy some soon..might go with either S2k CR lugs or Spoon

DRP967
04-22-2011, 10:44 AM
i had a set of Muteki SR48s, then bought some Buddy Club P1 Racing lug nuts from SHG..lightest lug nuts ive ever held.

gonna buy some soon..might go with either S2k CR lugs or Spoon

Any issues with the Muteki SR48s? Strip/break the key? Did you use impact gun/powertool or hand tighten/loosen? How about the Buddy Club?

.colin
04-22-2011, 10:47 AM
^^ I have the SR48's. No issues whatsoever. Been on my car for 3 or 4 years. I don't use a key, its just a regular hex so any right size socket will work.

mitchell_ep3
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
i used an impact gun on the every time i swapped my summer rims for my winter rims... of course i used my stock lug nuts for my winter rims and only brought these out for my summers... but yeah give them a good shot of WD-40 inside, re torque them after a 100 miles and yeah, never had any problems.

and i have never stripped or cracked the key or any lug nuts with the 5/6 dimple lug key.

DRP967
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
i used an impact gun on the every time i swapped my summer rims for my winter rims... of course i used my stock lug nuts for my winter rims and only brought these out for my summers... but yeah give them a good shot of WD-40 inside, re torque them after a 100 miles and yeah, never had any problems.

and i have never stripped or cracked the key or any lug nuts with the 5/6 dimple lug key.

Nice, good to know all was well. You torqued em to 80 lbs?

mitchell_ep3
04-22-2011, 12:33 PM
i torque them with the impact.. which is set around 80lbs... then i use my torque wrench after some driving and it barely tightens anything

the bad thing about aluminim llug nuts is COLD FLOW... i'm an electrician and when we feed a service with aluminum cable, we always have to go back after some time to give it another good tightening... becasue aluminum is soft enough to flow AWAY from pressure!!

steel FTW

ShadowEP3
04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Any issues with the Muteki SR48s? Strip/break the key? Did you use impact gun/powertool or hand tighten/loosen? How about the Buddy Club?

no issues with either..only got rid of the Muteki's since i got the BC's

i use a socket and breaker bar on my lugs; id never impact gun lugs

T_Virus
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
My experince with lug nuts:
- All of Ray's color fades badly. Red turns into pink, blue turns into a lighter dull blue, black turns into a dull darker gray color.
- Project Kics neo chrom R40 open end, rust on the inner end of the lug. I still need to get a pic of this to post it here...But alteast it comes with a lock nut.
- So far only the "Black" Muteki lugs seem to hold their color longer without fading.
- WTF?!!!! Muteki & Gorilla keys fit? I had both sets and somehow the keys fit eachother.
- WTF?!!! My inlaw took out a regular socket (forgot which size as this was a while back) and was able to remove my muteki lug nuts on 1 wheel.
- Muteki SR48 Neo chrome has a cheaper neo chrome coating but looks better than the Project Kics neo chrome R40. The other problem is that they do not come with a lock nut. If they did, I would choose this over the expensive project kics.

DRP967
04-22-2011, 01:46 PM
i torque them with the impact.. which is set around 80lbs... then i use my torque wrench after some driving and it barely tightens anything

the bad thing about aluminim llug nuts is COLD FLOW... i'm an electrician and when we feed a service with aluminum cable, we always have to go back after some time to give it another good tightening... becasue aluminum is soft enough to flow AWAY from pressure!!

steel FTW

My experince with lug nuts:
- All of Ray's color fades badly. Red turns into pink, blue turns into a lighter dull blue, black turns into a dull darker gray color.
- Project Kics neo chrom R40 open end, rust on the inner end of the lug. I still need to get a pic of this to post it here...But alteast it comes with a lock nut.
- So far only the "Black" Muteki lugs seem to hold their color longer without fading.
- WTF?!!!! Muteki & Gorilla keys fit? I had both sets and somehow the keys fit eachother.
- WTF?!!! My inlaw took out a regular socket (forgot which size as this was a while back) and was able to remove my muteki lug nuts on 1 wheel.
- Muteki SR48 Neo chrome has a cheaper neo chrome coating but looks better than the Project Kics neo chrome R40. The other problem is that they do not come with a lock nut. If they did, I would choose this over the expensive project kics.

1. Yeah man I just feel better/more confident with a steel lug nut over an aluminum one...I dont mind the added weight. :mredface::msmile::mbiggrin:
But what about a lug nut made from titanium...wouldnt have the strength of steel with the lightness of aluminum? Seems like a win/win imo...well besides the expensive cost of it.

2. So true man about the Rays, red to pink, blue to teal, black to gray. Ive seen them fade...well not the actual process but Ive known people who bought the red ones and 6 months to year later they were pink, same with the blues (fading to teal). Sucks to hear about the Project kics rust issue...those are steal/alloy some sort of metal right? I always thought they were titanium until someone showed me otherwise. And the Muteki black lugs close end which i have is really really durable...i tried again today just rubbing the key on one of em and nothing...its still black as hell with no chippage haha. Unfortunately the blue or red ones flake as soon as the key socket makes contact. Somehow the black version is top notch in terms of color retention/flake proof...blue/red not so much.

Another thing to add is I had the Blox street series forged aluminum extended open end lugs in black. After 6+ months...they faded from black to a root beer/copper brown color. I would have okay with em if they faded to a dark gray or something in that shade...but the brown just wasnt doing it for me. Plus I wanted the peace of mind of a steel lug nut so I picked up the Mutekis for those reasons.

I heard that as well...you can use the Gorilla/Muteki keys on the lugs..they work from what ive been told.

And as for the Muteki neo chome, lock nut? You mean a wheel lock? Or you mean a key socket to take off the lugs? They just require a regular 19mm socket for removal/installation?

DRP967
04-22-2011, 01:49 PM
no issues with either..only got rid of the Muteki's since i got the BC's

i use a socket and breaker bar on my lugs; id never impact gun lugs

Thanks for the input.

The BCs are nice looking. Love the color...kinda reminds me of Skunk2 lugs.

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/images/t_18110.jpg

For lack of a better description...these nuts in terms of color make me think raw and military and milita (I know makes no sense lol)...its just a sick color to complement silver/gunmetal wheels. Id love the Skunk2 or BC on my RPF1s...but ill just stick to the black Mutekis for now....so far they have been good to me.

+1 for them being steel, retaining their color this far, not chipping.
Also since they are close end, my studs are gonna stay fresher longer...no more exposure to the elements ie dust/wind/water/etc.

RHCP0801
04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
i would love a set of black lugnuts other than muteki that didnt fade

ep3jd
04-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Or cost $140

ShadowEP3
04-22-2011, 02:14 PM

my Buddy Club's havent faded after a year and a half :mangel:

RHCP0801
04-22-2011, 02:18 PM
ill stick with oem lugs lol

ep3jd
04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
You have no choice lol

lucky7
04-22-2011, 02:54 PM
i think the rust on the Kic's (in my case anyway) was from my cheap studs i put on the car. the rust was only noticeable on the inside of the nut.

T_Virus
04-22-2011, 07:25 PM
And as for the Muteki neo chome, lock nut? You mean a wheel lock? Or you mean a key socket to take off the lugs? They just require a regular 19mm socket for removal/installation?

I mean, they don't come with a wheel lock.

??? So the black muteki lug nuts faded on you?

DRP967
04-23-2011, 07:02 AM
BTW anyone know if BBS lug nuts are steel or aluminum?

http://www.rhdjapan.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/58192/Image/Normal/Image2.jpg

blackcivic11
04-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Anyone ever use the T1R chromoly lug nuts?

http://www.vexmotorsports.com/assets/images/t1r/lugnuts/racingwheelnuts.jpg

PAPITUYO326
04-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I have blue mutekis and their finish is abysmal. They finish chipped off the second I put the key on the lug. This was hand tightening for a test fitment, no hand or power tools. i'll never buy or recommend that brand again.

Passenger
04-23-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/t1r_spline_blue.jpg
T1R Anodized aluminum lugs.. I've had em for about 2 yearsish now. By FAR the lightest lugnuts I've ever used/seen, even lighter than skunk2s. I thought the color would've faded by now but just a quick cleaning and they shine like new. I use these pair with a set of t1r locking lugs.

*edit* They weigh 18grams each.

Type_R_Nammer
04-23-2011, 06:34 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/154245_10150099647398760_507998759_7441840_1906850 _n.jpg

I'm running SR48 Titanium Blue's, love the color!