PDA

View Full Version : so i need a new alternator...

AKEP
04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
i dont think anyone bought a new one from honda for $700, so what brand did you guys end up getting?

RedSiBaron
04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
i dont think anyone bought a new one from honda for $700, so what brand did you guys end up getting?

go buy a duralast, it comes with a lifetime warranty...ive never had a single problem with a duralast

bchaney
04-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I would go to car-part.com or the classifieds on k20a.org

You got your current one tested?

hondafrk
04-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Ever thought about getting yours rebuilt instead of buying a new/reman one?? I've had several alternators rebuilt at a local electric motor/alternator repair shop and they normally cost 50-60 bucks to get rebuilt. Just an idea.

jgn6848
04-21-2011, 07:32 PM
AUTOZONE duralast....lifetime warranty .... cant beat that!!

TheKone
04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Rock Auto has a reman Denso for $186 plus core. Denso is OEM if I remember correctly.

RHCP0801
04-22-2011, 10:38 AM
yes denso is oem, i would also look at oem reman

talonXracer
04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Remember that Duralast are ALSO remans and off label alternators,(why they are so cheap). A reman is in 99% of cases as good if not better than OEM, they use the same cases, shafts etc, just cleaned with new bearings, seals and electronics modules installed.

tinman5
04-23-2011, 01:05 PM
If the car is out of warranty and you do not plan on out of pocket cost to the dealship, go with the neighborhood parts store. You can't beat the warranties, usually limited lifetime, or straight up lifetime. Especially if you don't mind busting your knuckles a bit.
Now my car still has about 30k miles left on the extended warranty so I am trying to figure out the safest way to get as much wear item replacements out of my $50 deductable as possible.

TransformedBG
04-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Well you could always buy one of someone on the forums who may have totaled their car...

hint hint

AKEP
04-24-2011, 04:50 PM
who totaled their shit?? that sucks...

but nah according to helms its only a half pain in the ass to remove the alternator. you have to remove the headlight is all it says, which also means bumper, but thats gone already lol.

i've found some rebuilt Denso's at my local parts store but they are not AT the store, but about 120 miles away. So i'd have to pay for it and wait a couple days. I don't have the cash on hand yet so I'm waiting till pay day to order it. my [extended] warrantee has been up and my k24a2+t swap would def be grounds to void it.

I'm not a huge fan of duralast unless its the battery in my corolla. 5 year no questions asked warrantee from the O-Reilly's down the street, hell yeah. other then that, I don't even use duralast anything.

also, this is a good time to install my RBC and overflow bottle, i forgot to put it in =[

MugenReplica
04-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Just thought I'd share.....

This guy does stuff locally for the Aero industry. He also rebuilds automotive alternators. He's fast, reliable and cost efficient. Shoot him a call and ask him what he thinks. He has rebuilt the brushes on two local 9C1's to police spec amperage. I know you'll have to ship, but you won't regret it.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=Penn+Yan+Turner+As+%26+B&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=2ec23705adf4e555

If you're not interested in him, look around for you local aviation engine rebuilders and ask them where they get the alternators rebuilt. You may be surprised to find somebody local to yourself that can rebuild cheaply and even possibly up the amperage of your alternator.

AKEP
05-05-2011, 03:28 PM
hey guys, im stuck trying to take off the lower bolt towards the drivers side. i can't get really fit anything back there to get it. i have the headlight out and the belt off so far, i'd like to not take anything else off if i could.

any ideas?

RHCP0801
05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
swivel socket? headlight and coolant overflow is all you have to take out

TheKone
05-05-2011, 05:33 PM
The Honda service manual does say to remove the front bumper to do an alternator change. That kinda sucks but would probably make it super easy for you.

AKEP
05-05-2011, 08:23 PM
i have all 3 of those out. if i have a small 12mm socket it would need a 1" extension, because anything longer would hit the fan shroud, and a deep well is too long. i tried putting a u-joint/swivel on the short one, giant PITA.

thats ALL i need to finish this.