PDA

View Full Version : JDM = Made in Taiwan

DRP967
04-22-2011, 06:50 AM
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/275/JDM-Made-in-Taiwan/

http://cms.skunk2.com/photo/g-275-f0edf8f31e6b84decf4edacb84dd0dfd4028fb9d.jpg

"Okay, before I get into it, let me start off by saying, “yes, I agree, JDM is cool.” When I first got into the import performance scene, all we had was JDM. In the ‘90s, two words summed up trying to find parts for your import car in the U.S.: “good luck.” Back then the only references we had were copies of Option magazine purchased from the Japanese bookstores, and those were few and far between. Hell, to this day, I still don't think there are Japanese bookstores in the Midwest. Thank God our industry has evolved.

I don't know if it’s still the case, but lots of JDM fanboys believe that most JDM parts are actually made in Japan. Yes, there are JDM parts that are actually made in Japan, but I would dare to say that most are not. Like the U.S., Japan is a developed country that manufactures less and less. Strict pollution laws and high labor costs are what force more developed countries like the U.S. and Japan to outsource.

With respect to aftermarket car parts, one country that has very close ties to Japan is Taiwan. Many people do not realize that Taiwan was an imperial colony of Japan from 1895-1945. Though some Taiwanese look back at this period of imperial rule with disdain, the fact remains that the Japanese were instrumental in the industrialization of the island; they extended the railroads and other transportation networks, built an extensive sanitation system, and revised the public school system; indeed, there are certain elements of Japanese culture that are deeply ingrained in the national identity of the Taiwanese. It is undeniable that, even to this day, Taiwan remains heavily influenced by Japanese culture. Undoubtedly, Japan has been an important factor in the development of industrialized Taiwan. There have always been significant amounts of Japanese-owned companies that represent a wide cross-section of industries with manufacturing bases in Taiwan. And over the years, Japanese technology and quality management systems have been integrated into Taiwanese companies. In fact, Taiwan has become a leading manufacturer in, not only the automotive industry, but also the high-tech semi-conductor and electronics industries.

Another interesting point to make note of is that Taiwan is particularly well-suited for producing parts for the performance aftermarket. The performance aftermarket is a niche market. It is defined by high product variety and relatively low volumes, which I would define as production runs of less than 1000 units. The majority of Taiwanese factories are small by nature and rely on a tightly knit network of manufacturing partners that each specialize in their own part of the production process. This decentralized approach to manufacturing works well in Taiwan since the factories tend to group together in pockets. And different pockets are never far away from one another since Taiwan is geographically small—just a bit bigger than New Jersey.

So which of your coveted JDM aftermarket companies are selling you parts that are actually made in Taiwan? How about all of them? Well, almost. Here’s a short list of just some of the companies that have their parts manufactured in Taiwan. How do I know? For starters, I've been to these places, first-hand, and I've seen each of these companies' products, packaging, and drawings within the facilities. So here you go:

HKS, GReddy, A’PEXi, Vision, Tomei, JUN, TODA, TEIN, RSR, HPI

And I’m sure I’m forgetting many others that I’ve seen over the years.

It is indisputable now that much of JDM = MIT (Made in Taiwan). Oops. Did I just shatter Humpty Dumpty for some of you? Sorry! But it’s all true!

So, are Skunk2 parts also made in Taiwan (among other places)? Well, what do you think? (But FYI, we also have parts made in EU, South America, Thailand, China, Vietnam, Canada, and the good ol’ USA.)

So what does this all mean? Not a whole lot other than a lot of good companies have their products made in Taiwan. The fact of the matter is that many OEs (original equipment) like Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and others all source many of their parts from Taiwan. That's right, there are parts on your Honda that were built in Taiwan. I’m not saying that all parts that come out of Taiwan are good, because the reality is that there has been and still are bad companies that sell bad products. Because Taiwan makes so many aftermarket parts (good and bad), it’s natural that they will be blamed for the bad parts; sadly, Taiwan is never given credit for the good stuff.

The problems lie not in where things are made, but rather the company that has it made and sells it. The reality is that, in today's global economy, it really doesn't matter where a product is made as long as you can count on the company that developed it and sells it. There are too many fly-by-night companies in the aftermarket that know nothing about cars, that copy parts, and that don't provide the proper customer service and post-sales support. But we'll save that discussion for another time."

-Skunk2 blogger

http://cms.skunk2.com/photo/g-275-55088e183490cbbb4bb965e70eb611e5ab9441a5.jpg

O RLY? :mmad::mrolleyes::mredface::meek::mfrown::mconfuse d:

FoReVaPmP
04-22-2011, 06:53 AM
:mcool:

makavelibranded
04-22-2011, 08:09 AM
hahaha sooooo all these people are TDM:msmile:

RedSiBaron
04-22-2011, 08:11 AM
The jdm part thing is a silly fad, I try not to get bent out of shape or worry about it, especially since most of the kids these days don't know anything about jdm...shit I was buying jdm parts back in highschool before there was even a trend because I thought they looked cool and they were cheap...

makavelibranded
04-22-2011, 08:14 AM
JDM has kind of fadded off here at least,.. now all the kids are rolling around on broken suspension setups lol.

RedSiBaron
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
JDM has kind of fadded off here at least,.. now all the kids are rolling around on broken suspension setups lol.

Yup everyone wants to be herrafrush

I have some younger friends who like to get close to flush, but wont run extra camber to do it and don't rub or stretch...its like functional quasi-flush haha...

rubbin tires blows, why do people think its cool, it makes me cringe.
Such an awful noise...pot hole! **CRUNCH!!** "fuuuu, there goes some of my tire!!"
How do they not realize that increases the chance for a blowout!? I have a friend missing part of his scull because he was going speedlimit to work and had a blowout.

Twisted-X
04-22-2011, 08:35 AM
The fact of the matter is that we live in a global economy, like it or not. Like Dave said in the blog, where its made matters less than the credibility and track record of the company selling it.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
around where i am

it seems like i'm the only person with some kind of sense...

all my friends like going low...and thats the only thing they talk about when i ask them about suspension
bugs the hell out of me

im like the only "young person" to have any sense it feels like

function > form

a car is meant to be driven

DRP967
04-22-2011, 10:55 AM
The jdm part thing is a silly fad, I try not to get bent out of shape or worry about it, especially since most of the kids these days don't know anything about jdm...shit I was buying jdm parts back in highschool before there was even a trend because I thought they looked cool and they were cheap...

Yup everyone wants to be herrafrush

I have some younger friends who like to get close to flush, but wont run extra camber to do it and don't rub or stretch...its like functional quasi-flush haha...

rubbin tires blows, why do people think its cool, it makes me cringe.
Such an awful noise...pot hole! **CRUNCH!!** "fuuuu, there goes some of my tire!!"
How do they not realize that increases the chance for a blowout!? I have a friend missing part of his scull because he was going speedlimit to work and had a blowout.

The fact of the matter is that we live in a global economy, like it or not. Like Dave said in the blog, where its made matters less than the credibility and track record of the company selling it.

1. JDM was the ish back in the 90s...still is today. I talked to some OG Honda heads that used to be in the Honda scene or still are..they told me back then they just called it japanese stuff when copping parts. Nowadays JDM is blown out of proportion and used for everything...a license plate crooked off to the side is mad JDM yo! A slanted exhaust aka drifter style is mad JDM...or even haning a stuffed animal aka drift charm from the rear tow hook is JDM...yeah its funny. I just happen to like the JDM stuff or replica JDM stuff cause it looks good. ie. CTR style lips, headlights, taillights, floor mats, etc. Heck even the JDM bumpers/rebar for the EP3 is sick cause it really "slims" down the EP3 making it look less fat. What annoys me the most is those JDM decals...."Im so JDM I sleep on the right side of the bed." WTF is that lol

2. Yup, never got into the whole hellaflush thing. Thats just me...not hating on those who like it..diferent strokes for different folks.

3. Truth right there.

sleepy ep3
04-23-2011, 03:54 AM
The first line of my sig says it all. I've had that sig pretty much from the beginning

SHHEP3@UB
04-23-2011, 06:44 AM
What's old is new again - when my dad bought his Triumph Spitfire in '77, he gutted the emissions, put a better exhaust on, replaced the stock carburetor with a Weber (equivalent of Kpro) and rebuilt the head to European spec, or "EDM" as everyone calls it now. Same as the EP, the over seas version was better than the US one, so all the enthusiasts bought the parts from England to convert their cars. And what he did is the same thing as what people did right after WWII when the British Sports Car scene took off from the underground, and a little later when BMW started getting a cult following.

What I think is funny is how obsessive people get over the brand names, to me it's like people who have every article of clothing with some store brand's logo on it. I understand getting good parts, not to see who can spend the most money collecting LDM logos.

talonXracer
04-23-2011, 06:57 AM
The huge problem is that any true aftermarket fabricator has to deal with the skiving Chinese purchasing the product and making a low cost/low quality clone.

JDM does not indicate or even insinuate being manufactured in Japan, only that it is AVAILABLE for the Asian market.

codyep3
04-23-2011, 07:04 AM
I could care less if my car is JDMness, because in the end I think my car looks better than JDM, mugen, w.e. I don't think I own a single thing on my car that I looked for specifically because if it was JDM. The only reason I have Red H's or orange DC5 JDM side blinkers is because it is more aesthetically pleasing to me. IMO I think that JDM had it coming.

Edit:Wow I put JDM a lot luls

RedSiBaron
04-23-2011, 08:50 AM
My ep build is a, "best of all markets to me", build...a lot of that happens to be from japan, but at the same time those parts could be from europe...actually my cars more edm and ukdm haha

mitchlikesbikes
04-23-2011, 09:25 AM
My ep build is a, "best of all markets to me", build...a lot of that happens to be from japan, but at the same time those parts could be from europe...actually my cars more edm and ukdm haha

MAD EDM TYTE YO! haha JDM is cool when it's done for function or if it actually looks better. but doing it simply because it's JDM is kinda lame

RedSiBaron
04-23-2011, 10:09 AM
MAD EDM TYTE YO! haha JDM is cool when it's done for function or if it actually looks better. but doing it simply because it's JDM is kinda lame

Yup...lame

Windchaser
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
JDM is Japanese Domestic Market, which means that the parts were made to be sold only in that market; it does not necessarily mean it was made in Japan. I thought that was a given?

Draw7Seven
04-24-2011, 07:18 PM
JDM is Japanese Domestic Market, which means that the parts were made to be sold only in that market; it does not necessarily mean it was made in Japan. I thought that was a given?

No way bro all USDM parts are totally made in the good ol' US of A, right?

situner28
04-24-2011, 08:02 PM
No way bro all USDM parts are totally made in the good ol' US of A, right?
for the most part i hope..... lol

hothatch
05-13-2011, 08:21 PM
you would hope